Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:58 PM   #1

Default best low light compact? Canon or Fuji?

Hi There,

I just joined this forum because of all the awesome feedback everyone has been giving to new camera buyers. Hopefully it'll be able to end my decision roadblock.

My Situation:
I'm a recently graduated Chef and I need a small portable camera to take with me for quick pics at Restaurants, Parties and other social events. I won't be able to use a Tripod in most circumstances to help with picture quality either, and most of the time the situation won't allow me to use a flash so it'll be all up to the ambient lighting.

My needs:
1/ Compact Camera
2/ Low-Light

After reading the various forum "what camera should I buy?" it' seems that in the compact area. The top candidates are

Canon S90 / S95
Fuji F70EXR / F200EXR
Fuji F80EXR and F300EXR

note: why isn't anyone commenting much on the F80EXR and F300EXR are they bad updates to the F70EXR/F200EXR?

Eventually I'll take the leap to SLR, but I want this camera as my quick and easy portable, everywhere I go camera.

If there's another option I may have missed please go ahead and suggest it. I have a rough cap of $400 US.

Thanks,

Phong
pstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:19 PM   #2

will you be shooting food? Or people?
If food you will be happy to know there are a lot of cameras which have a special 'gourmet' scene mode...which is new to me...

Last edited by lisalonewolf; Oct 6, 2010 at 9:19 PM. Reason: oh, my sony and kodak have it...never heard of it before.
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 9:35 PM   #3

A little of both. It's to take pics of the various food dishes I see or eat and I wanted it to be my multipurpose going out camera, something small and light and easy to carry with me.

I previously had the FujiFilm S1800, but I found having something this big prevented me from taking some shots. People are apprehensive when you pull out something like this, where as I found with a Cell-phone camera or a small compact no one minds or notices.

I didn't know about 'gourmet' settings that's sorta cool.
pstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:02 PM   #4

The Canon S90 / S95 and the Fuji F200EXR will easily be the best 3 in low light. The Fuji will offer you slightly better dynamic range but has a steeper learning curve than the S90/S95. The S90/95 should have a slight edge in low light.

Another option is the Panasonic LX3/LX5 or the Samsung EX1.

And the F80EXR and F300EXR aren't bad cameras, but they are generally inferior to their predecessors due primarily to smaller sensors.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Super Moderator

the S90 or (or the pricier replacement s95) would be the best choice here. it is best in the lower light conditions you find in restaurants, and has an advantage of both being user friendly in the beginning but offering enough controls and RAW shooting for you to progress with.

the lx5 would be another great choice, but a pricey one compared to an s90. (the older lx3 is a good cam, but the short zoom limits its flexibility and its not quite up to the s90/95 and newer lx5 at higher iso) the ex1 is also an option, it has a nice fast lens, but isn't quite as refined of package as the canons and panasonics, though in all honesty these cameras are all very comparable.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:14 PM   #6

Nikon P7000 would also b a serious contender for your cosideration since it has a longer zoom(7.1x) and a large image sensor(1/1.7") for low light.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:45 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Nikon P7000 would also b a serious contender for your cosideration since it has a longer zoom(7.1x) and a large image sensor(1/1.7") for low light.
its too big for the op's needs.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 6:34 PM   #8

I have seen some good lowlight pictures from the S90, but I would be surprised if it's better than the Fuji F70EXR (for F200EXR). Go here to see some sample pictures compared:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...r-review/using
There are other reasons to choose the S90 over the Fuji F series cameras: ease of use and full vs. reduced resolution in some shooting modes among them, but I have found the F70EXR to be great for low light shots (for a compact camera). Two things guided me toward the F70: its low price and 10X optical zoom. I think you can still get some refurbished F70's for less than $150. Newegg was selling them for less than $130 recently.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:10 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Well I happen to own the F70EXR, and it does pretty well in low light for a compact. But its real strength is in dynamic range, not in low-light, though I have taken some pictures at ISO 1600 that are useable, and some of the best for a superzoom camera.

however, the sensor on the s90 is still larger and it still does a better job at higher ISO than the F70EXR, and can shoot in RAW which when the OP progresses in photographic knowledge will allow even better control over noise reduction.

if you are talking compact cameras for indoors. the 1/1.7" 10mp sensors are still the best right now, and the canons are some of the better at it.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:36 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayyaz View Post
Not sure why zoom would be an advantage when shooting pictures of food. Is it very smelly food? Fast (moving) food? Food that just doesn't like you to get too close?