Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2010, 11:24 AM   #1

Default first dslr

So I need a dslr primarily for stills and to bring with me when i go abroad and travel.
I have ~$650 and was considering the PEN E-PL1, Canon 30/40D, and Canon T1I.
I want to stick with the canon brand unless i get an m43
How does the PEN stack against the GF1?
I want overall the best image quality, not really worried about rate of fire im not going to do any action shots so i dont need to worry about that.
The 40D would be my first choice but I'm trying to justify the higher price.
Is the 40D have that much more edge that i should just spend the ~200 extra? The PEN I really just like how it looks, its not the smaller form that really appeals because there wouldnt be an occasion that i would bring a PEN because i couldnt bring a dslr; neither fits in my pocket so the PEN would go wherever the dslr would go.

Also what ever camera I choose, should i just buy the body and buy seperate lens or would kit lens be fine. If i buy seperate lens, what should i get? 18-55mm?
jason612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2

With a budget of ~$650, your choices are limited, and especially your lens choices, so whatever you do, stick with the kit lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:53 PM   #3

jason-

Welcome to the forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.hye

One of the pivotal issues will be this: we can consider t typical travel photos, what other photos do you like to take? With that info, we can find a better fit for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:57 PM   #4

other than travel id say just social gatherings, parties(nonalcoholic), going out in the park with friends
im a college student so i guess what typical stuff college kids take pictures of haha
Old Oct 7, 2010, 2:43 PM   #5

I use both the epl-1 and t1i, and for travel the epl-1 is the better tool. Also in the IQ department, the epl-1 and t1i are equal pretty much. The epl-1 correct for m4/3 lens distortion and has the better jpeg engine. Canon would be the second best jpeg engine imho. But form 100-1600iso, the epl-1 is just as good as the canon. Above 1600iso, the larger APS-C sensor has the advantage.

Here are some daytime shots of the epl-1 and t1i
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...s-germany.html

Here are some night time shots side by side
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...ris-night.html

Here are some samples of the epl-1 and the kit lens, the night shots were with the panasonic 20mm 1.7
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...ip-philly.html

The epl-1 is better in low light then the GF1, a if you shoot in jpeg, the epl-1 is much better with out of the camera results.

I would pass on the 30/40D as they are older designs, 2 to 3 generations old.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 7, 2010 at 3:00 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:17 PM   #6

so im leaning towards the canon 40d atm... just put a bid for body for $500 just cause it seems like a really good deal
what is a relatively cheap (sub $200) zoom lens that i should get? dont want prime cause i definately need the versatility and dont have the budget for 2
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:54 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason612 View Post
other than travel id say just social gatherings, parties(nonalcoholic), going out in the park with friends
im a college student so i guess what typical stuff college kids take pictures of haha
wait a second, there are nonalcoholic parties in college?

as for a cheap zoom lens, the only thing you will get for sub-200$ would be the kit lens from the newer canon aps-c dslrs. the 18-55 with IS. they can be had rather cheap as many ppl who buy the camera kits and upgrade their lens sell the kit lens off cheaply.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:49 PM   #8

Just one thing with ebay and used camera. No warranty, as if any that may break. It is all out of pocket to repair, and it can get a tad expensive to repair.
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:16 PM   #9

Maybe buy a used DSLR from Craigslist?

I've seen Canon 20D's for sale for about $200-300.

Used Canon 17-85 for about $250-350.

That's about $500 total.

Of course, you have to know what you're doing or take someone along with you that knows what they're doing.

I've seen old Rebel XS cams with a kit lens for under $200. They take pretty decent photos too.

So many people are upgrading these days, used DSLR's are pretty easy to find that haven't been too beat on.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:30 AM   #10

my choices are now down to:
Canon XSI ~$450 Used kit
Canon 30D ~$300 Used w/o lens
E-PL1 ~$500 New Kit
My budget is still ~600
If the same lens were used, how are the image quality between the 3? Would the 30D trump the other 2 if i put a $300 lens on it(zoom lens; needed for versatility)? If so would it be a noticeable difference?
tbh im more interested 30D vs E-PL1 but if the XSI is a real contender against 30D please explain
or i could get a used 40D and a 50mm 1.8?
again my uses are primarily stills, city shots, social gatherings, parks.. almost no action shots and i have no need for fps

Last edited by jason612; Oct 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM.