Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:17 PM   #11

I was leaning more towards the twin lens set too--and they are both VR lenses. Now though it seems someone snagged the $800 one, but I found manufacturer refurbished camera + those two lenses (both VR) that states they were displays and have a one year warranty for $734. And I don't think the $700 set is a scam, the seller has really good feedback and I've looked up some of the individual products it's selling with it--but it simply doesn't have that 55-200mm I want. I guess now my question is just whether or not refurbished cameras are the way to go--one one hand they can be less likely to have problems since they have been checked over, and on the other, why were they sent to be refurbished in the first place. Gahh. This is all too much information for my brain to absorb! I also just happened across a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus Lens in a kit with an 18-55mm Nikon lens and d5000 body--says it does macro, but I'm confused because on the Tamron site it says for Nikon (built-in AF)--does this mean the lens has built in AF or that it has to be used with Nikons that have built in AF?

Last edited by cinderhawkcreative; Oct 9, 2010 at 7:46 PM.
cinderhawkcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:58 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
And I don't think the $700 set is a scam, the seller has really good feedback...
If they are not in this list of Authorized Nikon USA dealers, do not expect Nikon USA to provide warranty service.

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/...uthDealers.pdf

If the camera happens to be gray market (as most less expensive kits are), do not expect Nikon USA to provide any service (warranty or otherwise), even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Expect to send it back to Japan for service, unless you want to trust the dealer to handle it (which I would not do, since they're not going to have the expertise, parts, alignment equipment and software, etc. needed); since Nikon USA will refuse to do any kind of work on the camera if it's gray market.

If you're looking for a good deal on refurbished Nikon gear, check out the listings from Cameta Camera (an Authorized Nikon USA dealer) on Ebay. They'll be listed as "Sales Demos".

http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera...&_sid=27280321
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:29 PM   #13

Cameta is the seller of the Nikon with the 18-55 Nikon lens and the 70-300 Tamron lens ^^ I think I may have just found my bundle =P
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:28 PM   #14

Make sure the Tamron 70-300 is the Di LD.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:34 PM   #15

Yep, Di LD it is. And just so everyone knows, I did purchase this set, so now I just have to wait 3-7 business days to get it ^^ Thanks for all your help!!