Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:29 AM   #91

the kit lens 18-55 is pretty wide, say a 35 or a 28 will be tight if you move indoors on a crop body. And wide angle aps-c lenses are pricey.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:52 AM   #92

unless you are particularily taken with the idea of using prime lenses then your gonna want that 18-50mm zoom its a very versatile range and alot of your shots will likely be with this lens

but if your happy to always frame your shot with your feet (note this isn't alwasy possible) then primes give typically good image quality - but suspect it will get old fast changing lens every 2 mins

so i would seriously recommend you get a wide to normal angle zoom lens of some kind
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 1:50 PM   #93
Super Moderator

So the thing is that On a crop camera I could very happily never use anything other than a 28mm. (45mm equivalent) I believe, like Michael Johnson, that if you just use that one lens for a year your photography will improve massively. The things you learn by using that one focal length will teach you all about composition.

It stops you from worrying about the crud that doesn't matter and forces you to focus on the stuff that does. You don't need a 55-250 either. Start with a 28 f1.8, use it for a year. Also you don't then need to worry about changing lenses, etc.

Do this: go to the library, get a book of Henry Cartier Bresson. All of his photos were taken with a 50mm lens (30mm on a crop camera). Get one of Annie Liebowitz's early books, with all her Rolling Stone stuff, all shot on a 50mm or 35mm lens. Look at a book by Jane Bown,same deal. Any of the great Magnum photographers, same deal.

The thing is, I have a feeling that you are going to be good one day, and that is my best advice to get yourself a quick start.

Most days I only go out with a 50mm (on my Zeiss Ikon or my Canon 5D Mk2). When I had a crop camera, I just used to use the 28mm f1.8.

For example this set was taken last weekend with my Canon 5DMk2 and 50mm f1.4 lens. I could have got almost the same results with an XT and 28mm f1.8.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peripat...64196154/show/

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 14, 2010 at 3:47 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:33 PM   #94

i disagree - primes are good for specific things but in todays world they limit you excessively while learning giving you no room to experiment - no wide angle landscapes - no room to get closer to your subject if it isn't posing for you and with nothing between you and it that you cant walk over

its no place to start for someone new to dslr - you'll be back using a point and shoot before you know it if you go with only primes - there is a reason that every camera sold has a kit option for a 18-50mm zoom - it gives a good place to start - if you want primes you'll work that out soon enough

also without a zoom handy even just figuring out how focal lengths affect perspective will be a matter of theory not practice - and while zooming with your feet stops you worrying about "crud" when zooming with a twist of the wrist doesn't i dont know - seems to me getting your composition right is easier with a zoom any day
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:35 PM   #95

Thank you peripatetic,

Those are lovely! And exactly the pictures I would like of my family. You nailed it!

I have been unhappy with the other camera because while it does do a lot, it does not do the things I want it to do. I do not think a compact or a bridge cam can do that and we have really tried our best to create it.

I think the zoom maybe good outdoors when looking for close ups of birds but for the most part I want to do pictures exactly like you showed, in around, people in their surroundings 80%, scenery 20%.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:39 PM   #96

I have both Sony and Canon low end systems. In short, a Sony A200 with a 18-70mm kit lens and a Canon XSi with 18-55mm EF-S and 55-250mm EFS which I bought together as a package. The quality of picture from the Canon is better because of a better sensor and can produce pictures with less noise at high ISO. However, I have occasional problem of the camera mis-focusing on the subject when I am using macro. I don't really need the Sony A200 but I couldn't resist the good deal on sonystyle.com, so I bought one. I don't regret of buying it a bit because I find it easier to use and the focusing is more accurate than the XSi. Best of all, it can use the old Minolta A-mount lenses which can also be used on full-framed Sony DSLR if I choose to go that route of upgrading. I just picked up a Minolta 28-85mm lens from Ebay to be used as my walk-around lens in lieu of the Sony 18-70mm kit lens. I like this lens very much in term of color and sharpness. The price I paid for it is ridiculously cheap. The next lens I want to get is a 70-200mm Beer Can.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:40 PM   #97

I personally shoot allot of primes, but I would not recommend it for a new dslr shooter. When my brother finally decided to jump up to a dslr, I recommended the 2 lens kit. As it is versatile. Primes have there uses, but it is limiting. He is learning to get the bokeh with spacing with a long zoom. But will get a prime down the line for low light shooting and artsy effect with bokeh. But the kit lens have been a good place for him to start and learn the fundamentals of dslr shooting.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 3:56 PM   #98
Super Moderator

Look, the kit lens is fine and very cheap, so there's not a great deal of harm in getting one.

Except if it makes you take rubbish pictures. Having a bag full of camera equipment doesn't make you take great photos. Passion, vision, having something to say, those things make for great images.

I was on a course once, we had a full spectrum, but at polar extremes was a dentist type with a bag full of L lenses and pro cameras. His work was sheet after perfectly sharp sheet of perfectly well-exposed boring photographs. Postcard stuff. Truly hopeless. At the other end was an 18-year-old Norwegian girl (had the longest legs I've ever seen) hardly knew which end the lens was. 20-year-old Olympus OM-1 film camera, 50mm lens. Made images with that camera that left me speechless with admiration. Half of them were out of focus, the other half poorly exposed. But the emotion, the passion, the courage. Nobody gave his stuff a second glance, but every week we waited, breathless to see what she had done since the last meeting. By now, 5 years later I'm sure she is hanging in galleries all over Europe. He is still buying the latest L lenses and worrying about how sharp they are, and is completely bemused why no-one wants to look at another sun setting over lake doodad, or another portrait of a gorilla at a zoo. The finest equipment for every conceivable occasion, and nothing to say.

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:15 PM   #99

I totally agree with you which is why I do not need everything and would like to keep it at 2 lens if possible. 1 a fast prime and 1 an all purpose zoom lens that can be used situationally if that makes any sense.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:49 PM   #100

Camera prices seem to have gone up. I would have thought with new cameras and holidays coming out, they would go down and there would be specials.