Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:55 PM   #101

i agree entirely that equipment doesn't make you a good photographer - but for learning to shoot dslr's a zoom is a much more versatile choice than a prime lens - not saying it cant be done with primes just that its more limiting

in your example imagine what that girl would have achieved with the dentists camera equipment!!
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:56 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacfire View Post
Camera prices seem to have gone up. I would have thought with new cameras and holidays coming out, they would go down and there would be specials.
could be an exchange rate thing for the us and japan
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:05 PM   #103
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacfire View Post
Look at the shadow areas. For example, to the right of the box of crayons. Noise is gong to be higher in underexposed areas (which you'll have a lot of in typical low light conditions). The Sony has lower color noise compared to the Canon.

You're seeing a difference in processing and how each manufacturer approaches Noise Reduction (more from the Sony, less from the Canon). Print the images at the sizes you'll want to use for comparison purposes, not looking at them at 100% viewing size. ;-)

Take a look at the Incandescent lit images, too. Look at the area under the mannequin's chin (as it doesn't get quite as much light and is more likely to show noise). You can see the higher Color Noise from the Canon versus the Sony. If you tried to reduce the Canon's noise to the same level as the Sony using software later, the detail would likely be about the same from the extra Noise Reduction. ;-)

Sony A500 at ISO 1600:
http://216.18.212.226/PRODS/AA500/FU...0INBI01600.JPG

Canon XSi at ISO 1600:
http://216.18.212.226/PRODS/XSI/FULLRES/XSIINBI1600.JPG

Or, just use their comparometer to see how cameras compare in typical incandescent lighting. Those photos will have INB in their name.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

There are pros and cons to any approach. For more control over processing, just shoot raw and use the raw converter you like best, versus relying on a camera's built in settings for things like Noise Reduction, Sharpening, etc. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:17 PM   #104

The Sony A500 images are impressive. Thanks, JimC-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 2:40 AM   #105

Hi irf you have not ordered look at buydig.com they seem to have some good deals on
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 4:42 PM   #106

Thank you Jim, I did not consider those, will debate on that. It seems the pentax is very close to the Nikon's in quality with the Canon T2i and Sony A500 being worse.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:51 PM   #107

Actually all the camera's you are considering are actually very good it really comes down to what little difference you prefers better.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 16, 2010 at 2:17 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 2:16 AM   #108
Super Moderator

The camera sensors are all effectively identical.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...(brand3)/Nikon

The DXOMark scores are:

Canon XSi - 61
Sony Alpha 500 - 64
Nikon D3000 - 62
Penax K-x - 72

15 points is about 1 stop. So the Pentax is 2/3 to 1/3 better than the others, which are really too close to call.

Everything else comes down to the image processing settings in the camera, which can all be tweaked to taste, or even better shoot RAW and do it in Captrure One, Aperture, Lightroom or Bibble.

Comparing these JPGs taken under only partially controlled conditions doesn't really tell you anything of significance.

Last edited by peripatetic; Oct 16, 2010 at 2:25 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:51 AM   #109

I think the Sony A500 is an excellent alternative (even without video capability) considering how cheap one can get it for. It's bulkier than some other DSLRs such as the Kx or the E620 but it's a great camera.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:45 AM   #110

I'm relativly new to SLR as well. But I've had my XTi for a few years now. I've seen comments that a prime is not well suited for new users. I'm not very experienced, but BY FAR my favorite lense is the 50mm/f1.4. It is not overly expensive, and gives excelent pictures. Best is that it is f1.4, and so is great for low light. Most of my photos are kids indoors. I generally dislike flash (maybe I just haven't tried a good flash unit yet), and I hardly ever need to use flash with this lense.

Just my two cents. Everyone has their own preferences.
Briago is offline   Reply With Quote