Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:42 PM   #131

Refurbished from dealer is better than used second hand?
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:44 PM   #132

Yup, as long as it is a factory refreb not a 3rd party

like canon refrebs sold at adorama.com you get canon factory referb. And you get a 1 year warranty. They have nikon refrebs from nikon with a 90 day warranty
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:03 AM   #133

It just seems for my budget I can either get a fast prime or a zoom but not both. Very annoying.

Last edited by Lilacfire; Oct 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:14 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacfire View Post
Refurbished from dealer is better than used second hand?
They are both bad IMO. If you said refurbished by manufacturer, then I'd say that's probably a bit safer than 2nd hand. Refurbished by dealer is a different story. Who knows where they get their "broken" items fixed and how well the work is done!?! At the same time, many people sell their cameras because they are experiencing problems with it (i.e. focusing issues), so buying 2nd hand you may end up with a lemon. If you want to save some money, keep an eye on Amazon warehouse deals. They sell open box items at a discount prices and you still get the 30-day return policy for full refund in case something is wrong with it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:31 PM   #135

I don't have a big problem with buying second hand, you just have to be VERY careful and ask a LOT of questions. Plus it has to be a good price of course.
You should ask if theyve had any problems with it etc. Even if they've had one error or anything forget about it.
A good estimate of wear is to ask how many shots they've taken with it (and how long they've had it too). Anything under 5000 shots should be pretty good. Also ask about any telltale signs of wear: a lot of dust, really worn neck strap, loose lens grip, worn body grip. Also see what they use it for: sandstorm photography and time lapses are a big no-no. See if you can find someone who babied it while taking pictures of babies.
I bought a used Sony a200 because it was $100 cheaper than an a230, I liked the body %1000 more, and Ive heard it has a 100,000 exposure rating as opposed to the a230s 50,000. It had 1000 exposures on it which is pretty close to new.
Another thing is to make sure they ship well. I had a bad experience with a guy who shipped the body lens unattached with NO lens cap; the camera was just wrapped in foam. Bad idea.
If you ask a lot of q's, you shouldn't have any lemons. Plus they can't blame you beause you're sinking a lot of dough into it.

Oh, one more thing. Lenses are a lot betted buying used. Make sure they don't have undue wear/scratches or oil on the apeture, but otherwise they can save a LOT.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:06 PM   #136

If you want a fast prime and a long zoom all together right away, I would re-look into the canon t1i, with the 55-250 and the 50mm 1.8. It is allot less then going with the nikon with the 70-300 and 35mm 1.8. the 55-250 and the 50 1.8 together is less then the 70-300 by itself. If not, figure out which one you will used more and live with not having the other for a while.

The t1i refreb from adorama.com are canon factory refrebs. I have brought refrebs from them and never has a problem with any of it. The t1i is about 540 dollar as a refreb with the 18-55.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:23 PM   #137

Thank you on the refurbished by company rather than dealer tip. I will look out for that.

Shoturtle, 50mm lens is a portrait lens, but 35mm is a photo journalist type lens. I wanted the 35mm one. If I get it from sigma I pay $400 for it to pair it with a canon and then it balances itself out with nikon vs canon.

Also from the images I have seen the T1i seems to fall short of the T2i (obviously) but surprisingly also the XSi. I really looked at the XSi mode and tried pricing it with a sigma and a zoom lens. I may go that route.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:31 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
Oh, one more thing. Lenses are a lot betted buying used. Make sure they don't have undue wear/scratches or oil on the apeture, but otherwise they can save a LOT.
Yes and no. A lot of times people sell lenses because they front/back focus, produce soft edges, has dust speckles between the glass elements, etc. So, buying used lenses can be very tricky as well. Anything you buy on eBay can be hit/miss. Even sellers with 100% positive feedback can fool you. As mentioned, the best protection if buying from eBay is to ask as many questions as possible. Some buyers won't answer them and that raises a red flag right there.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:36 PM   #139

Does buying brand new favor *hit* rather than miss every time or it is still a gamble?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:45 PM   #140

By the way I apologize for making this a huge thread but I realize this is a big decision and I am no instant photography expert, just add water, so I want to get it right and I really appreciate everyone that has give me advice!