Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:04 PM   #41

So not all Nikon lenses will work with a D3100? But all Canon Lenses will work with a Canon T1i, and all Sony or Minolta lenses will work with a Sony A500?

I did not know this! Really have to consider that.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 5:08 PM   #42

no not all lenses will Auto Focus on the D3100. But all eos lenses will work on the T1i. And sony they should all work, if they are the for the alpha mount.

The only eos lens that do not work on a canon camera is EF-s lenses on a Full Frame camera like the 5dMKII or 1DsMKIII. You will need EF only lenses. But those are $2500 to $6000 bodies.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:26 PM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacfire View Post
Thank you for wonderful advice so far except peripatic I'm a she. Just a bit strange to be thought of as a he.
peripactic has probably given you the best advise in this thread so far. ;-)

I'm sure he didn't mean any offense.

For example, on his comments about the zoom lenses, personally, I rarely use a lens over 100mm, at which time I may use a Minolta 135mm f/2.8. But, it doesn't get used that often.

So, you may not need a longer lens at all for the types of photos you shoot more often (a shorter prime may be just fine).

A 35mm focal length lens on a camera with a Sony APS-C size sensor would give you about the same angle of view you'd have using a 53mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Many film cameras came with a 50mm lens that owners used to get some really nice photos, without ever buying another lens to use with their camera. A 35mm prime on a camera with an APS-C size sensor would give you roughly the same thing. Not having a zoom lens to fall back on helps you learn to compose better and develop a more unique style, too. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:36 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
perhaps its better to ask what you want to take photos of - the kit lens that comes with most cameras is really most suitible for landscape to portraits - if you want to photograph wildlife thats when your likely to need the longer focal lengths so you can see the animals larger in the image without having to perfect you stealth skills and sneak upto within a couple of meters of them

i'd be tempted to suggest you get the newer pentax k-r but it is slightly outside your budget

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-r-3-0...6790673&sr=8-4

dont worry comes in black too but i love the white stormtrooper model
Well ideally if I had to prioritize:

1. I would like to take pictures of my family and boyfriend indoors and outdoors at night when there is not much light. Part of the reason of me wanting to a dslr is that my parents are getting older and I really want good printable pictures so I can have very good memories of them and our family intact.

2. I also like shooting street photos and landscapes while I am on vacation - so zoom might be nice to have but it is not my top priority because my boyfriend has gotten an FZ35 recently and we are debating on returning it to Amazon and getting a dslr instead. It is a good camera but indoors we are really not happy with it and it generally makes shutter speeds too long to reliably use without a tripod.

So that gives me 2 options. My mentor told me I have 2 options, either use 2 cameras - go with a prime lens and dslr for indoors and intimate portraits and use my boyfriends camera for outdoor pictures or carry multiple lenses around and also risk dust in dslr like he said.

I am so confused now.. do we return the camera that we are only half heartedly happy with or do we use 2 cameras?

Last edited by Lilacfire; Oct 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:39 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
peripactic has probably given you the best advise in this thread so far. ;-)

I'm sure he didn't mean any offense.

For example, on his comments about the zoom lenses, personally, I rarely use a lens over 100mm, at which time I may use a Minolta 135mm f/2.8. But, it doesn't get used that often.

So, you may not need a longer lens at all for the types of photos you shoot more often (a shorter prime may be just fine).

A 35mm focal length lens on a camera with a Sony APS-C size sensor would give you about the same angle of view you'd have using a 53mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Many film cameras came with a 50mm lens that owners used to get some really nice photos, without ever buying another lens to use with their camera. A 35mm prime on a camera with an APS-C size sensor would give you roughly the same thing. Not having a zoom lens to fall back on helps you learn to compose better and develop a more unique style, too. ;-)
Oh no offense taken, it just seemed strange hearing it heh. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give good advice, I am just so confused now however, though I am leaning towards multiple lenses and a DSLR. Although we almost never shoot video. We are a family of short attention span so pictures are better than movies!

Edit: A little video capability wouldn't be bad.. I guess sometimes you just need to record something that you find suspicious.

Last edited by Lilacfire; Oct 12, 2010 at 7:42 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:41 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
...I would like to take pictures of my family and boyfriend indoors and outdoors at night when there is not much light. Part of the reason of me wanting to a dslr is that my parents are getting older and I really want good printable pictures so I can have very good memories of them...
You'll generally need a bit of time to adjust to any camera's behavior. If low light shooting is more important, I'd go with a dSLR.

An external flash would also be a good bet, as you could bounce it for more diffused and even lighting (versus the "deer in the headlights" look you can often get from a camera's built in flash).

Again, you don't have to buy everything at once with a new dSLR. You're usually better off sticking with a basic kit until you have a better idea of it's limitations and where you may want to make additions/changes, versus spending a lot of money up front on lenses that may end up sitting on a shelf for various reasons (size, weight, focal length, brightness, etc.). ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Sony things always tend to cost a premium do they not?
I find in the used market (mainly eBay) there is much less demand so there isn't as much bid wars as you'll get with thousands of Nikon bidders. But there is also less supply, so you won' have as much selection in of used items.
However, you also get a bunch of great minolta lenses, notalble budget ones being primes and the Beercan 70-210mm f/4.

Personally, I wouldn't ever go for nikon entry level because of the internal focus issue. However, I would think long and hard if entering at the d7000 level.
So basically the choice is Canon and Sony. Canon has history, reliability, and decent price. Sony is still a bit of a wild card. They have really interesting innovation, like the A55 and NEX, but seem strangely lacking in some areas, like an a700 replacement and FF support. They seem pretty committed for now, but that may change, as DSLRs are just a part of a giant company, while Nikon could never just cut their DSLR program.
Personally, if you want best quality for a low budget, Sony is the best. their future is what I'm a bit worried about, but seriously, I think a Tamron 17-50 and a 70-200 f2.8 and an hvlf42AM flash + some odds and ends is all I'll ever need, and since those are all out, it's not like I'll be up a creek with a giant system.
So that's my $.02. Don't do what my friend did and jump into a Nikon d3000 without considering why he should go for other brands and ending up not being able to buy any glass because of the $$. Or another friend who didn't know sony existed. Find out the plusses and minus (google is your friend) and go off of that.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:53 PM   #48

Quote:
All Sony or Minolta lenses will work with a Sony A500?
I believe only Minolta AF lenses work with the Sony. The manual focus MD and MC won't without adapters. Probably doesn't matter, but you should know.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:58 PM   #49

Yes I agree, its a big decision so I am not rushing it and I really appreciate all of you helping me. Thank you really!

I do have a question - with the sony future worries, does pentax seem a safer bet for the future while meeting my budget? I remember someone mentioning get a kit with 2 lenses and it will cover superzoom too. But I have not seen a prime lens from pentax while I did try to google for it. Are pentax lenses not that good or not as abundant as others?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:31 PM   #50

Nikon focussing issue? They have trouble creating focused pictures?