Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:41 PM   #51

lilac-

There are fewer primes available on the Pentax, except if you want to go to the more expensive Limited lenses. Sony Canon and Nikon will probably have a greater selection of primes and zoom lenses Here are the typical two lens kits:

Pentax :
18-55mm
50-200mm
or
18-55mm
55-300mm the more preferred two lens kit

Sony:
18-55mm
55-200mm

Future prospects: Sony due to their size will be here for sure well onto the future. Pentax is owned by the Hoya Corp. and their future will be a bit less stable. Pentax has been very successful with the Kx model, but they have been slower to develop more new cameras. They just introduced the Kr and K-5 models, but those are the only models since the Kx.

Another Solution: You could purchase the Sony A500 and the Tamron 18-250mm lens. That would give you a single lens solution with no lens changing and not force you into a two camera solution.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:50 PM   #52

Thank you Sarah, that really helps a lot and seems like a perfect solution.

Is the 18-250 a good lens? I keep reading about multi purpose lens not being as *sharp* or *jack of all trades, master of none with considerable distortion* in it.

Edit: I can't seem to find that lens. It keeps saying 18-250 is a Sigma lens for over $400.

Last edited by Lilacfire; Oct 12, 2010 at 8:54 PM.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 8:58 PM   #53

I should say that I'm not especially worried about it, I just want to bring it up as it's something to think about. I'm sorry I mentioned it because it might give you the wrong impression. All I'm saying is that they are far from being as cemented or committed as Canikon. Yet they have really good products, and I reccomend Sony to any prospective DSLR buyers.

As for Pentax, they seem to be the old faithful, not selling or releasing at the volume of the top three but putting out a great product. But I would be more worried about their future than Sony's. Obviously a lot of happy Pentaxers here though (biggest part of forum).

Nikon focussing issue: a bit vague, i
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
Nikon focussing issue: a bit vague, i
sorry. i missed the end of that.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:12 PM   #55

A bit vague; The issue is that the internal focus motor is not in the body of entry level Nikon cameras, which means you have to buy special lenses with the motor inside. There are still a lot to choose, but they cost a lot more. That's why I wouldn't go for Nikon at all. You'd have to get the nikon d7000 to access the cheaper lenses, and it will cost over $1000.

Sorry for all these errors, my iPod Touch has been having some issues and I'm far from a computer.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:26 PM   #56

You have 135 lenses to choose from with the d3100, but only 1 sub 200 dollar prime lens.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:30 PM   #57

So Nikon is pretty much a Mercedes Benz, pay for brand name, then pay an arm and leg for lenses, repairs. Well no thank you then Nikon!

I wish I could find the Tamron lens Sarah mentioned and it'd be a done deal for Sony but I am really considering Pentax and Canon too since this will be a long term decision.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:39 PM   #58

Pentax has been around a long time, and they are coming out with exciting and excellent product. So their future looks good. The k5 looks like it will be the best semi pro camera for tipa next year. And the k-r may win the best entry level tipa award like the k-x did last year. So there is no worries about their performance.

Canon is canon, they give you allot of options.

That tamron lens is discontinued, it will be replace with their 18-270 sooner or later. But it will be a 500 dollar lens. Which is also a very good lens, and a award winner for best all in one lens. They have it currently only in canon and nikon mounts. But sony and pentax should be coming.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:48 PM   #59

Well, any serious professional would think that the Nikon d7000 is a good buy for that level of photography. Nikon has very good quality and the prices at that level are comparable to canon. Obviously you don't plan to go to that level, but it is a VERY good brand, so don't diss it.
But I geel that people buying Nikon at entry level buy it because of the brand, not anything else.
I say go with sony. Good brand, great value.
The 18-250mm is a good lens for day to day stuff, and has enormous convinience factor. As for quality, the things you'll notice is sharpness and speed, ie It isn't as sharp or as good in low light as a two lens kit; pretty much just like a long kit lens. But for you now it will likely be perfect. Just like a kit lens, when you get the eye for things and feel limited by it you can always upgrade (if that time ever comes)
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:50 PM   #60

The problem is finding the 18-250 not to many around.