Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:50 PM   #61

Well those lens tend to put it over budget so any suggestions? Are there any 2 kit solutions for Canon or Sony? I noticed Pentax raised the price over $800 now.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:53 PM   #62

canon t1i, kit lens and the 55-250 or the pentax k-x with the 2 lens kit with the 55-300.

You can go with the canon 28, or 35mm or even the sigma 30mm which is a excellent lens as well

Pentax you have the sigma 30mm in the shorter prime, or go with the 50 1.4 which is a really nice prime.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:55 PM   #63

Here's the 18-250 for $300:
http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...y=usd&pid=5750
No idea about the site, just a quick google result;there were several similar ones though.
An optimal two lens kit is the tamron 17-50f2.8 and the tamron 70-300mm di. I got the telephoto for $50 used on eBay, so you may be able to find a deal and get both for under $400.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:04 PM   #64

I'll put in my 2 cents. I just read all the posts in this thread (quickly). No mention of 16:9. Articulating LCD. Fast AF in Live View. Depending on the OPs needs, these might close the case (they did for me). Most p&s'ers upgrading will expect this at a minimum.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:06 PM   #65

Lilac-

As I mentioned the Sony A500 body is running around $400. I purchased my 2 lenses, the Sony 18-55mm and the Sony 55-200mm on E-Bay for $172, delivered to my home, making my total investment $572.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:09 PM   #66

But if you need to add a fz35 for longer reach shot, add 299 to the total price.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:19 PM   #67

Lol no, I had a chat with my bf, we are sending it back! We talked about his and mine but I think we are better off with just 1 camera. Somehow just not happy with it, I guess other people's mileage may vary. Its a good camera, it just not right for us - if that makes any sense.

Thank you Sarah. I will try and locate that lens.

I am curious about 1 thing.. most of the time do you find yourselves using the 55-200 lens or the 18-55 lens?

Thank you so much so far, will be back after doing some more research,

Sandy.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:48 PM   #68

Sandy-

I actually use both about equally. The 18-55mm kit lens is about the equivalent of 3X optical zoom. The 55-200mm handles the rest of the zoom, giving you about the equivalent of 11X optical zoom, which is enough for our use. Changing lenses is quick and easy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:44 AM   #69

I have two questions, have you gone to a store and tried the different models for the ergo weather they fit you hand and his hand right? And brought a sd card with you to take sample photos with each camera to see which one is more pleasing to your eye on you home computer, and the photos will really need to please you first and foremost? These are very important aspects to consider also. All the camera mention are really close in performance to be honest, but you need to find with one pleases you the best. And only you can answer that question.

My wife and I do not have his and her camera, but she has her preferred camera among the 4 camera we have currently. So at times we can shot photos of the other one shot at each other.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 13, 2010 at 2:50 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:51 AM   #70
Super Moderator

I certainly didn't mean to offend you by referring to you as "he". I was really using it in the gender-neutral sense, because I find he/she clumsy and ugly to write. Actually, without wanting to start a war, being a "she" almost certainly increases your chances of making a sensible decision. After all you're buying a camera to take pictures, not because it's a gadget, something men often forget.

Although it's a big decision, the good news is that it's hard to make a poor decision, because honestly all the cameras you will be looking at are very capable of making stunning images with the right person at the controls.

The equipment you buy now will be technically superior to that which half of the world's greatest photographers ever had access to.

Just to confuse you even more I highly recommend reading the following two articles:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...eica-year.html

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...to-george.html

Instead of shooting a Leica and 35mm film, you could equally try a Pentax K-x with 35mm f2 lens.