Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:54 AM   #71

I totally forgot about the pentax 35mm F2, it is a good lens as well

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/123-p...w--test-report
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:58 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I have two questions, have you gone to a store and tried the different models for the ergo weather they fit you hand and his hand right? And brought a sd card with you to take sample photos with each camera to see which one is more pleasing to your eye on you home computer, and the photos will really need to please you first and foremost? These are very important aspects to consider also. All the camera mention are really close in performance to be honest, but you need to find with one pleases you the best. And only you can answer that question.

My wife and I do not have his and her camera, but she has her preferred camera among the 4 camera we have currently. So at times we can shot photos of the other one shot at each other.
Well I wanted less blurring and noisy images indoors, The ISO 800 looked horrible and when I compare to DSLR's it is like comparing apples and oranges. And my boyfriend seemingly prefers his SD1100IS to the FZ35. All he wants to do is power on, frame, click and be done. Anything more is a hassle!

As for ergonomics, I have small hands so I am sure just about any grip will do as my hands will not have room for the camera to be loose and floating.

I have been looking at image quality and I was really surprised by the D3100 lack of noise that I found myself wanting it. I compared A500 and Pentax images and for me they are still a close second to my mentors 450D/ XSi.

So I am going to be looking for a TSi and lens solution which hopefully fits my budget. I noticed on amazon, Adorama has TSi and 50mm f/1.8 lens for sale but I wonder if the 18-250 lens is a good one or I should skip the prime for now and get 18-55 and 70-300mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
I certainly didn't mean to offend you by referring to you as "he". I was really using it in the gender-neutral sense, because I find he/she clumsy and ugly to write. Actually, without wanting to start a war, being a "she" almost certainly increases your chances of making a sensible decision. After all you're buying a camera to take pictures, not because it's a gadget, something men often forget.

Although it's a big decision, the good news is that it's hard to make a poor decision, because honestly all the cameras you will be looking at are very capable of making stunning images with the right person at the controls.

The equipment you buy now will be technically superior to that which half of the world's greatest photographers ever had access to.

Just to confuse you even more I highly recommend reading the following two articles:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...eica-year.html

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...to-george.html

Instead of shooting a Leica and 35mm film, you could equally try a Pentax K-x with 35mm f2 lens.
LOL! The 2nd link is legendary humor and deserves bookmarking. But that is exactly how we feel about our FZ35.

And no offense taken, it just seemed strange. I wish we were that smart however. Then we would not have to send it back. Anyways I would rather buy the right thing.

I think the TSi is perfect for me. I do not need video although it maybe a nice bonus feature. Strangely enough after looking at XSi and T1i and T2i and comparing them, I actually thought the XSi had the best pictures with the A500 and K-X coming a close second and third.

Can anyone suggest makes and lens for Canon XSi please? And after reading that article makes me want to get just 2 lenses, an 18-250 and a 50mm or 35mm prime to begin. I can always add stuff later on if I have money.

Does this seem like a reasonable way to go?

Last edited by Lilacfire; Oct 13, 2010 at 8:07 AM.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:03 AM   #73
Administrator

Do you mean XSi?

As previously mentioned, The XSi has a maximum ISO speed of 1600. So, if low light shooting is a high priority, I'd look at the T1i instead within the Canon lineup.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:09 AM   #74

Oops yes XSi. The pictures with 1600 seemed really good to me without any noise and I figured with a 50mm prime, I would still get fast shutter speeds.

The T1i is still quite expensive but I will look at it too.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:15 AM   #75

The XSi is know for the high image quality in the iso range it can shoot in. From 100-1600 it does produce super results.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:45 AM   #76

I have a Canon XSi, and after going through several lens, Tamron 70-300, canon 75-300, and Tamron 18-200...I have been very happy with the kit lens 18-55, and then I bought the 55-250mm. I also started with a 50mm 1.8 for indoor basketball, and have upgraded to the 85mm 1.8(will use in a few weeks for first game). I really love my XSi, and at this time am not interested in video, so this is the perfect solution for me. I just need a inexpensive flash now(anybody got one forsale?)
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:22 AM   #77

so the kit 18-55 and 55-250 is better than 18-250 lens?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:03 AM   #78
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacfire View Post
The pictures with 1600 seemed really good to me without any noise and I figured with a 50mm prime, I would still get fast shutter speeds.
That depends on how much light you have and what percentage of keepers you want without blur from subject movement. ;-)

Even when using ISO 3200 coupled with a fast prime, you may need to time your shots for pauses in movement in typically lit interiors at night if you can't use a flash to reduce blur from subject movement. I rarely shoot at lower ISO speeds when not using a flash indoors (as a touch more noise can be better than blurry photos). At times, you may also want to take photos with the aperture stopped down from wide open so you'll get more depth of field (smaller f/stop numbers give you a shallower depth of field).

Given that your primary concern seems to be low light performance, I'd stick with a camera that has higher ISO speeds available for when you need them.

Given your $700 budget, in the Nikon lineup, I'd go with the D5000 or newer D3100.

In the Canon lineup, I'd look at the T1i.

In the Sony lineup, I'd look at the A500, as it's a very good deal while supplies last at some vendors (thanks to recent price drops, since Sony is releasing newer models with HD video recording like the A580).

In the Pentax lineup, I'd look at the K-x.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:23 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacfire View Post
so the kit 18-55 and 55-250 is better than 18-250 lens?
Indoors, for basketball, I use the 50mm 1.8, or 85mm 1.8, at iso 1600, shutter around 1/400, ap 2.0 and get nice shots(for me as a amateur dad).

Not sure what you are shooting, you can get the canon 50mm 1.8 for around $100ish....the 85mm 1.8 is around $380.

I am really happy with the kits lens for outdoors. I found the all in ones, as most have stated here, to not be as sharp.

BUT, it is always better to have a all in one and take your camera all the time, then to say,,,ahhh,,,don't feel like lugging the DSLR today.
MY take a long is a Tamrac velocity 6x, canon xsi with 2 lens I think I need(shoturtle hooked me up with the bag).
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:01 PM   #80

pentax usa pricing is all over the place lately - but the k-rs performce is pretty good someone got hold of one on pentaxforums and the low light performance is amazing - might be worth keeping an eye on it for further price changes

but regardless i still think you should get down to a store and hold the cameras - most modern cameras will fullfill your needs so its really a question of which you like the feel of
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote