Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:18 PM   #1

Default What DSLR has the best JPEG Engine?

I will probably never shoot in RAW, and use very little post processing
Would like to stay under $1500.00 for a body.

So what DSLR do you think shoots the best IQ in JPEG right out of the camera?

From all the research I've been doing, it seems the T1i fits the bill pretty well......
Anything better out there?

To answer a couple of questions before they are asked:
I will probably never shoot video with the camera.
I don't shoot action - sports
I will be buying a camera body (unless the camera only comes with a kit lens, and if it does I will sell the kit lens) and buying a really nice lens (around 18-55 or 24-70 or 15-85 - you get the idea )
75% of the time I will use the camera for my business - shooting custom, high end guitars to sell.
The other 25% will be to take the camera out and have some fun with it.

Last edited by Braciola; Oct 12, 2010 at 4:18 PM.
Braciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:19 PM   #2

olympus follow by canon.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:44 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
olympus follow by canon.
Based on?? Not saying it's wrong but I've not seen it anywhere.

A lot of the pro wedding photogs say that Canon has better skin tones in jpg than the Nikon's do and those are the only ones that the majority of serious shooters use, however most working pros will use RAW anyway.

I shoot Canon but have seen perfectly acceptable results from all the major players. What are you going to be doing with the photos?

I should just add that until recently I was a jpg shooter 95% of the time and did all my pro work from jpgs, never had an unhappy customer.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:49 PM   #4

base on having both oly, pentax, canon and shooting friend nikon and sony.

Oly is the best, canon is second. Pentax is clean with the NR, but the color is not as good as the canon. Nikon's color is softer and needs some work in pp, sony's color is not as pleasing at time.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
base on having both oly, pentax, canon and shooting friend nikon and sony.

Oly is the best, canon is second. Pentax is clean with the NR, but the color is not as good as the canon. Nikon's color is softer and needs some work in pp, sony's color is not as pleasing at time.
I don't know anything about the Olympus, but Pentax has gotten very high marks from reviewers for their JPEG engine. A sample comment (from DPreview): "In most shooting situations the K-x is capable of producing high quality image output. At base ISO JPEG images show very good detail and natural colors out of the box. The Pentax JPEG engine is doing a very good job at squeezing all captured detail into the camera's JPEG files and therefore shooting RAW does not produce a great amount of extra detail."

FWIW
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:14 PM   #6

I shoot a K-x, and they are very good. But the color is a bit behind the canon. But rating them that the k-x is a strong 3rd.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:21 PM   #7

In reality, this a subjective matter and is a matter of taste, especially in regards to color. At normal print sizes, (4x6-8x10) or for normal computer viewing, I doubt that you'll notice a huge difference between the major players. Sure you can notice differences when viewing at 100%, but that really isn't necessary for normal use. That being said Olympus is generally regarded as having a very good JPEG engine, but as was mentioned, I don't think any of the camera players produce bad images. Also, the cameras do allow you to play with and adjust output...you can fine tune sharpness, color, contrast etc to get results that are to your liking.

Last edited by rjseeney; Oct 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:24 PM   #8

I am a jpeg shoot, that is the first thing I mess with with all the cameras. Oly is just that good OOC. They do have the best jpeg engine. I do not have to edit most of the oly jpegs, they are ready to print large OOC.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 12, 2010 at 11:37 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:36 PM   #9

Thanks again guys,

Though the olympus looks interesting, I think I'll stick with Canon as I will have more growth/lens options.

I think I've settled on the T2i, even though I won't be shooting video, the overall IQ is slightly better than the T1i.

Now I need to decide on which lens.

So far, as far as Canon & IQ, I'm coming up with:

EF-S 17-55
EF-S 15-85

I could live with the 17-50 range as long as the IQ is much better than the other, but if they are close, I'd rather go for a bit more reach.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Aslo, I don't mind using Sima or Tamron if there is a better lens with better IQ in the focal range I'm looking for.

Thank you
Dominick

Last edited by Braciola; Oct 12, 2010 at 11:46 PM.
Braciola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:41 PM   #10

from 100-1600 the 2 T's are equal. At 3200 and up the T2i has a little better IQ.

With the lens, the L is a great lens, but my be a bit tight if you do allot of group shots or landscape work. 24mm is not that wide on a crop body.

17-55 is a good low light zoom with some good dof control at 2.8

The 15-85 is a excellent walk around lens, giving good reach and a good wide angle.