Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Wich camera should I buy ?
WX5 2 33.33%
HX5 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:30 PM   #1

Default Time for a camera change !

Hello everyone... I just cannot go on with my Sony DSC-W35 camera and after reading tons of reviews on the Internet, my fixation is now on either the Sony HX5v or the WX5... In any case, I was very satisfied so far, thus I am willing to continue with the same brand !

Can you advise me on which of the two models to buy ? I'm really drawn to the WX5, but before I take the last step, I wanted to appeal to some more professional/experienced advice !

I thank you in advance !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:48 PM   #2

Personally, I think the IQ on both is crap but if you must get one, go for the WX5.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:54 PM   #3

i wouldn't buy either. other brands have cameras that take much better quality pics.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 10:05 PM   #4

You would be much better served by the Canon SX-130 or the Panasonic ZS5 or ZS7.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
You would be much better served by the Canon SX-130 or the Panasonic ZS5 or ZS7.

Sarah Joyce
Do they have a Sweep Panorama option ? HDR ?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Last edited by Marawder; Oct 14, 2010 at 7:33 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:47 AM   #6

only the sony have that option. And the image quality is not that bad. There are some sony hx5v shooters here, and the results are on par with the panny and canons. They are all small sensors, really not a whole lot of differences.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:51 AM   #7

Here are some links to members that have the HX5V, you can decided if the image quality is pleasing to you. Everyone is different and prefers different processing.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...ont-blanc.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...pressions.html
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Here are some links to members that have the HX5V, you can decided if the image quality is pleasing to you. Everyone is different and prefers different processing.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...ont-blanc.html

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/so...pressions.html
Thanks a lot for the links dude...

Any WX5 users around ?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Old Oct 15, 2010, 2:08 PM   #9

Well, tomorrow's the big day... I'll just go for it ! If I really don't like it, I guess I can always just return it...

I've seen stuff on YouTube that was filmed with the WX5 and the video quality is really impressive...

I've also looked at some photos on Flickr...nothing mind-blowing to be honest, but I've asked some users about their experience in general with the camera and here's what they said:

The unbeatable advantages of WX5 are multi-frame noise reduction and sweep panorama. These two settings brought me a lot of "fun for photo". WX5 is small enough to put it in any pocket, something a DSLR can't. It's nice that I can take a photo pretty much anywhere, even in a restaurant with very low light. I could shoot a photo of my plate without getting attention from others.
There are some good P&Ss, for example Panasonic LX3 & LX5, Canon S95. But they don't have the multi-frame noise reduction and sweep panorama. Especially sweep panorama...
The 'BAD', such as SONY NEX3 & NEX5, Panasonic GF1, Olympus EP1 & EP2... I also own two GF1 with 20mm and 14-45 lens. The photo quality on the GF1 is very good, near to DSLR. However, GF1 doesn't have sweep panorama, I have to do it on my computer. It does not have multi-frame noise reduction, when I need to take a night shot, I need a tripod. I also own a Pentax K20D, a stanard DSLR. But I can't take it anytime, anywhere.
Both the NEX3 & NEX5 are good with multi-frame noise reduction and sweep panorama, but when shot with multi-frame noise reduction, you will hear 6 very loud shutter sounds, and that also while taking panorama shots. The sound is disturbing and will draw attention. Obviously the photo quality on the NEX is better than on the WX5.
I think WX5 is the ideal balance between price, quality, size, convenience and fun !

I personally would give the camera an 8/10. It has great features, is really compact, and captures low light very well. My reasons for it not making a 10 would be no manual controls or adjustments to aperture or shutter speed.
I love how it takes low light shots by shooting 6 images and blending them all together to reduce noise. Plus the panorama and 3D features are a bonus, although I'm not sure if I'll use the 3D features much.
Taking night shots with the sweep panorama would work well if there was sufficient lighting, but won't have the low-noise like take a regular still shot.
So far, the Sony Cybershot and Canon P&S cameras are the closest I've seen to DSLR quality. I think the technique that Sony uses pushes it even further.

Well, these guys seemed pretty convinced...
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM