Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfowler33 View Post

So, as far as regular pics go, which does a better job? How much would it cost to get some extra lenses with each? Which has better lens selection? Is there any better cameras with video out there for around $500?

Thanks in advance
Marc
The A500 is a good camera, but if people read this. It does not meet all the needs.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:46 PM   #12

Ya I thought about the A500 after reading a lot of reviews on this forum, but only ruled it out because of the lack of video and price. I dont think I found one for under 600 on ebay, but if I can get one for 539 - that is pretty good I would say. Still trying to decide if video is something I really need. Anyway, thank you all for your help!
mmfowler33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:57 PM   #13

Well I do not used the video on my dslr, but my wife on there other hand loves taking short video clips. And if you want video clip for memory keep sacks. It is a nice little feature to have.

I do have a HD camcorder, but we do not always bring it with us, while we always have a camera with us. So if HD is something you want, the Pentax is about 480 dollars and shots HD. It is the only sub 500 dollar dslr that has HD, but performs like the cameras that are 700-800 dollars.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:38 PM   #14

I believe Sony has a much larger selection than Pentax if you also consider older lenses by Minolta, some of which are still cornerstones (such as the Beercan and the 50mm 1.7)
According to dyxum's database there are 222 zoom lenses alone:
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp
Although many of these may be expensive/outdated/impossible to find, that's still a lot of compatibility.
Also, I believe Sony gets third party lenses much earlier than Pentax; In an ad for the new Tamron 70-300, there wasn't any mention of Pentax.
Obviously I may be wrong in many ways; please correct me if that is the case. Obviously Pentax is a very good brand, but I think I'll side with Sarah on this one.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:01 PM   #15

It actually is not that much more not like canon with over 200 current new lenses, and almost 300 with out of production lens. Sony only has about 115 current models, compare to the 90+ with the pentax. Also, is you count out of production. Pentax is almost 200 lenses also.

The 70-300 is not a good lens, it is just the best of the low end telephotos. And from 200-300 is is really soft, no where near as good as the dal or da 55-300 of the pentax.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:53 PM   #16
Super Moderator

one other thing which may or may not be of interest. but pentax mount is compatible with all their older manual focus lenses as well.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:28 AM   #17

[QUOTE=mrpete;1155037... there wasn't any mention of Pentax. [/QUOTE]

I was just citing an example, not saying anything about the lens. If, especially as a popular lens, they still aren't coming out with a Pentax off the bat, that means they have lower priority. This used to be an oft-occurrence for Sony, but not as much now.

According to the database, there is a total of 351 lenses. Obviously Canon and Nikon will have a lot more, but I believe that beats Pentax. I just wanted to bring up the subject of discontinued lenses because they are often forgotten in the "number of lenses" debate, and yet many are still very good (and cheap sometimes too) for use with an alpha.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote