Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:22 PM   #1

Default Sony a330 or Pentax k-x

Im sure that this subject has been beaten to death, but im gonna ask anyway

First, I am a first time DSLR shopper and don't have a clue what Im doing or looking for.

My local Costco has a Sony A330 with 18-55 lens (might have 2 lenses but I cant remember) for $480 right now. I know that this particular Sony doesn't do video.

I have been kicking around the Pentax KX just because it has video, which will come in handy I think.

I am not a pro or even an amateur at this point, but I would like a little guidance on which would be a better fit. I will mostly take pics of landscapes and people - maybe a few action shots. I would like to take video with it, but its not a deal breaker. I am just looking for an entry level easy to operate cam that will do a good job despite my best efforts to screw it up.

So, as far as regular pics go, which does a better job? How much would it cost to get some extra lenses with each? Which has better lens selection? Is there any better cameras with video out there for around $500?

The Sony looks to be a heck of a deal, but I think I can get a Pentax off Ebay for about the same price, although the Pentax only has 1 lens at that price. Maybe someone can help me with this life or death decision - my eyes are bleeding from reading reviews!

Thanks in advance
Marc

Last edited by mmfowler33; Oct 13, 2010 at 5:24 PM.
mmfowler33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:35 PM   #2

The pentax k-x is the better camera, higher ISO performance, CMOS sensor vs CCD on, faster AF speed, and HD if you want.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:41 PM   #3

Another question: Do both cameras take pics fast -as in when you push the button and take a pic, do you have to wait for what seems like 5 minutes for it to be ready to take another pic? I want one that is fast between pics, so I can click, click, click....
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:46 PM   #4

Yes they do, the pentax at a high speed burst can take 4.5fps. I forgot what the sony was but it is in the 3fps range. No shutter lag, the second you have focus it shoots until as fast as it can until you hit the buffer lag where the camera will slow down till all the photos are written onto the sd card. With my canon I get about 24 photos in good lighting until it show down with a class 10 card.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 13, 2010 at 6:37 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:35 PM   #5

The Pentax is a better camera, but the Sony has a better selection of lenses. The important thing, though, is can you get the lens(es) you need to get teh photos you want, and you haven't given us much about that.

One other thing: While the Pentax K-x can record video, it's more complicated and more frustrating than using a camcorder or even a P&S.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Pentax is a better camera, but the Sony has a better selection of lenses. The important thing, though, is can you get the lens(es) you need to get teh photos you want, and you haven't given us much about that.

One other thing: While the Pentax K-x can record video, it's more complicated and more frustrating than using a camcorder or even a P&S.
Ya I realize I haven't said much about the type of pics I will be taking and that is mostly because I am not completely sure. I guess mostly just vacation pics of landscapes and family - some sports too. Nothing too complicated, but the DSLR may inspire me to study up a bit to get better at photography in general.

The inspiration for me wanting a DSLR is because I was able to use my bro's Nikon and the pics were awesome compared to any of my old P + S's. Of course, they are all cheap cams too (under $300).

I realize any DSLR will be more difficult to record video than a dedicated vid cam, but I wont really be videoing that often and that is not my primary reason for getting the DSLR.

Sounds like the Pentax is the way to go for this idiot as I will probably not even expand to other lenses unless it is a telephoto or something.

Thanks for all the advice! ~Marc
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:16 PM   #7

Go with the 2 kit lens with the pentax the 18-55 and 55-300. The 55-300 is very sharp on the long end, and focus pretty fast. It will do the occasional out door sport shots.

Here are some samples of the k-x with the 55-300, just a simple one click edit with my photo editing program to up color and sharpness.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...hest-bump.html
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:27 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
My local Costco has a Sony A330 with 18-55 lens (might have 2 lenses but I cant remember) for $480 right now.
In the Sony lineup, I'd go with the A500. It uses a newer 12MP CMOS Sensor design with higher usable ISO speeds compared to the 10MP CCD Sensor in the A330.

B&H has the A500 kits (Sony A500 camera body + Sony 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM DT lens) for $539.99 delivered while supplies last (thanks to price drops after Sony announced newer models like the Sony A580 that have HD video recording).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_12_3_MP.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:36 PM   #9

With the sony vs pentax lens options, I really would not worry to much about it, there are about 95 pentax lens and about 115 sony lens new on the market between all the lens makers. It is not a huge different. Not like the comparing pentax to canon who has over 200 on the market.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:20 PM   #10

If LiveView is a priority, clearly the Sony A500 is the better choice with its high ISO capability, fast action, and superior image quality, while giving you the biggest bang for the buck.

The Sony A500 is more user friendly DSLR camera. It is clearly a DSLR camera where your transition to a DSLR will be easier. In addition, you have a corporation standing behind the A500 that has more staying power than Pentax that is owned by the Hoya Corporation.

The Pentax Kx and the A-500 are both good cameras. The pivotal question here is which will better address your personal needs best. I think that camera is the Sony A500.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote