Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:00 AM   #21

on the epl-1, it shoots nice HD when I get the lighting right. And it looks pretty good. The really good video guys know how to make the HD look even better.

there are some nice sample of the epl-1 HD on viemo.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:10 AM   #22

I am now looking at the Lumix DMC-FX700 Hybrid Digital Camera.

My Question:

In which case do I need to get the Lumix LX3 AND in which case do I need to get DMC FX700?

because it seems the price range is similar and I have no idea which one to get if I have to choose one between those two..

Last edited by emmaj; Oct 17, 2010 at 3:13 AM.
emmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:28 AM   #23

The lx3 is a way better low light camera, it will shoot much better photos the the fx700, as the fx700 uses the same small sensor as most of the other point and shoots on the market with a 1/2.23. So if you are shooting indoors or at night, you photos will not be great. And it can only preform up to 800iso. But it does shoot video at 1080p. So if video is more important the fx700 might be a good choice if you give up low light photography.

If you are looking more for a good camera with good point and shoot low light performance the LX3 is the much better option. As it will yield better image quality with the 1/1.63 sensor.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:37 AM   #24

My sister just showed me Fuji Finepix S1600 ($199) Digital Camera which is much more affordable than the LX3 by $150.

The lx3 must be a much better camera than S1600, but I don't know how much better it is than s1600. Do you think spending 150 more would be worth it?

How would you compare the two cameras?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:44 AM   #25

set her s1600 to 1600iso, and shoot a night or evening indoor shot. You will see a ton of noise. If you do the same with the lx3 you will have much better results at 1600iso.

You can go to think link and pick the panasonic lx3 and the fuji s1800, as they did not test the s1600, look at all the photos from 800 iso and up, if you click on them you get a to see the larger image, and you will see how the image quality degrades with the smaller sensor vs the larger sensor. You can also check the s90 and the epl1

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:04 PM   #26

I want the out of focus effect pictures on a person..will Epl 1 or LX3 do the job? do I need a DSLR for this?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:08 PM   #27

the epl1 will give you that effect, it is harder with the lx3.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:21 PM   #28

It is easier with the epl-1 as the bigger sensor will make it easier to get the bokeh. But to make is even easier. A larger aperture lens would help out.

The first one is with the kit lens and I got separation with the subject and background. The second one was with a macro lens at a wide aperture and separation. The third was done with a long zoom lens. So knowing hot to achieve the bokeh, and using the proper lens will give you better results. The forth one was with a big aperture lens that I was close to the subject.

So lenses like the oly 4/3 lens,35mm 3.5 with adapter, the panasonic 20mm 1.7 or 45-200 uses properly you can achieve the bokeh results.
Attached Images

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 17, 2010 at 7:30 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:20 PM   #29

Nice pictures!

Well I don't think I will be buying any lenses, I will be using the one that comes with..(so the 1st is the only one with the lense that comes with?)

to be honest, not sure I will get to use all the different options as I am so used to just point-and-shoot. And this is the reason that I am not even looking at the dslrs...

Is EPL1 easy to use? I find EPL1 is a bit heavy for me, and the LCD is a bit smaller than LX3..

EPL1 with $150 more or LX3, any thoughts?

Last edited by emmaj; Oct 17, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:32 PM   #30

The epl-1 is very easy to use, you can use it just like a point and shoot. And if you want there is the iauto function. Where there are sliders that you tell the camera the effect you want. The bokeh you want will be require you to shoot at a wide aperture. So you can set that in the iauto mode with the slider with the effect you want.

Yes the lx3 has a nicer lcd and is lighter. But if you want background blur it will really be hard to get, especially if you are shooting in full auto. It will be hard enough in manual modes.

I really like the lx3 and the lx5, but for the price. The lx5 it is just 30 dollars less then the epl1. I rather pay that for all the added performance of the epl-1 over the pns. Because if I want a long zoom, I can added the panasonic 45-200mm lens for 270 dollars. And I will have a short zoom and long zoom. And the long zoom makes getting the bokeh you want allot easier. The lx3 is way better in that regards, being discounted with a lower price.

So if you are really after background blur the epl1 is the better tool to achieve that. But if you want a pocket camera with good image quality and good low light the LX3 is a very attractive package.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote