Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:38 PM   #1

Default Best camera for shooting at school plays and recitals

Hi, I am a begginer. I used to love my old film camera, but my point and shoot digital camera leaves a lot to be desired, it is very slow to shoot, so by the time it takes the picture it is another scene. Also I am not able to zoom in my kids faces at school plays or recitals.
HD movie is also a must. Ability to shoot some every day stuff would be great.
Thank you so much for your input. As I said I am clueless to this.
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:20 PM   #2

I want to say bridge camera but I am not sure how well they would do in those indoor lighting situations if you were sitting int he back of an auditorium. Panasonic FZ100 or Canon SX30 are a place to start though.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:46 PM   #3

can you use a flash at the plays and recitals, if not you are looking at a dslr to get any good results.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:43 PM   #4

Thank you for your input. Shoturtle, yes we can use flash. I was leaning toward the canon sx30 or sx210, because they seem easy to use and have lona zooms. I am also considering a dsrl or a Sony nex 5, but have trouble understanding thr lenses and the type of zoom they offer.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:46 PM   #5

How far will you be from the stage for the plays and recital. If you are over 20 feet. The built in flashes will not have a long enough reach. But you can add a ttl flash with the sx30. Which will give you great reach. The nex 5 does not have a powerful flash so it would not be as good as a dslr or m4/3 camera with a hot shoe so you can add a more powerful flash.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:01 AM   #6

Considering the cost of the SX30, I would also very seriously be looking at entry level DSLR cameras and wide aperture lenses.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:51 AM   #7

thank you all for your ideas. Could you please suggest me some specific entry level DSLRs?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:41 PM   #8

Pentax K-x, canon T1i are both very good, for a bit more the Canon T2i. All can shoot HD. If HD is not important you can look at the sony A500.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:14 AM   #9

Hi, i think i have narrowed don a little. But still have some questions,now i understand a dsrl is the say to go foro low light and fas action, but i am a little intimidated about how complex the seem to be and about the weight, but if it is with a wide margin the way to go, it go. Do you think a Sony nexo or an olympus epl-1 could handle the fast moving kids, and somewhat low light of a school gym (mostly used during the day)? Or the hybrid sony a55, if it pereforms well and is light?
Otherwise what do you think about canon t2, pentax kx, pentax kr, and nikon s3100?
If you could help me rate them by how well would they meet my :

Thank you all foro your expertise
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:22 AM   #10

actually for fast moving kids in a school gym, a dslr is the better option, the sony nex, a55 and olympus epl1 do not have a fast enough refresh rate on the evf to keep up with them that well. Though the A55 has a phase detect AF the refresh rate will slow it down allot.

The k-x is the simplest of the dslr to shoot, you can shoot it like a point and shoot till you learn more about shooting in the manual modes.

The other part of the equalization is a lens. For shooting kids in the gym indoor you will need a fast prime which has a big aperture if you can not use a flash. The zoom's for indoor shooting get really expensive. Depending on how far you will be, a 50mm prime may work, but if you are a bit further out a 85mm prime may be needed. In this department the canon has a lead on the nikon d3100 and pentax k-x. As canon has more prime options.