Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:30 PM   #11

Default Decision is hard to make with so many options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The pentax k-x is the lowest price dslr that shoot HD, and it is allot better then any of the sony entry level in the A3XX or A2XX
It's good to have video on the camera so you don't have to carry two just in case you have to shoot a clip.
My plan is to either sell the FZ35 that has really good resale value or keep as a backup instead of getting a 300mm zoom for DSLR.
But in either case, the main thing is to have good image and portability. Carrying a huge bag full of lenses is not good.
My ultimate DSLR would be one that has great high ISO quality and one lens that goes from 28-400mm.
Mystery123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:57 PM   #12

The pentax DAL 55-300mm lens will give you much better image quality on the long end then the FZ 35. Also the 55-300 is actually a pretty small lens, about the size of the fz.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
It's good to have video on the camera so you don't have to carry two just in case you have to shoot a clip.
My plan is to either sell the FZ35 that has really good resale value or keep as a backup instead of getting a 300mm zoom for DSLR.
But in either case, the main thing is to have good image and portability. Carrying a huge bag full of lenses is not good.
My ultimate DSLR would be one that has great high ISO quality and one lens that goes from 28-400mm.
There really is not a zoom lens for a dSLR that does 28-400mm. It would be a rather large lens. The best you can do is about 18-250mm (about a 14x zoom in P&S speak), and when mounted on an APS-C sensor sized body would have an equivalent 35mm focal length (equivalent field of view) of about 375mm. Just about all "regular" (consumer) lenses top out at 300mm. Specialty lenses go beyond 300. One of the most popular is the BigMa which is 50-500 and is very good (and runs at least $1,500 just for the lens). You can hand hold it, but usually a tripod is used.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:06 PM   #14

I'd save and go with the Kr if you want to stay with Pentax. Another great alternative is the Sony A500 going for $539 with the kit lens at B&H. I think even though it lacks video capability, overall it's a superior camera to the Kx.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:35 AM   #15

Thank you for suggestions Tullio and all.
I'll get something with video if I buy new but kr is little over budget.
I'm watching deals on T1i/T2i as well but kx is a lot better value.
I just found that Pentax is a local company here in Denver.
I'll inquire the company to see if they sell out to public from there. Not sure if they'll have any better deals than online but worth checking...
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:43 PM   #16

The Kr is just becoming available, I would suspect that some pretty nice deals on the Kx will be around very soon. You can acquire it with either a 1 kit lens or 2 kit lens. There are 2 - 2 kit lens options (a 50-200 or 55-300). The 55-300 is the better lens.

hope that helps...
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 8:59 PM   #17

Default Nikon D3100 is in the picture with MFR Rebate deal

Yes, thank you interested_observer.
BTW, I saw few deals for d3100 with a printer that gives $450 rebate. Initially its $1,100 but after rebate it'll be $650 and if lucky, the printer can be sold for $200.
Making the kit D3100 for $450
I may pull the gun but I'll first check with Pentax headquarters tomorrow.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:22 PM   #18

Default Pentax doesn't sell direct to consumers anymore.

I called Pentax company and found that they used to sell direct to consumers until 5 years ago but not anymore.
So now I am down to online purchasing of Pentax K-X with zoom lens for $660 or Nikon D3100 with printer plus zoom lens, rebate, resell for around the same $660 final price.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:27 PM   #19

the pentax option sounds simpler
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:20 PM   #20

I hate rebates to begin with. I've had some bad experiences with them so I don't go for them anymore. If they want to discount the product, then just do so. Based on that, unless you really need a printer, I'd go with the Kx. It has IBIS, which is a great plus over the Nikon.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote