Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:04 AM   #1

Default Pentax K-x suggestions

A local guy is selling couple of months old Pentax K-x Digital SLR with 18-55mm and 50-200mm Zoom Lenses (Black) for $500.
Is this a good buy?
I currently have Panasonic FZ35 and not happy with indoor image quality.
I am also looking at Canon T2i but with extra lens it's way too much money.
Thanks for suggestions.
Mystery123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:36 AM   #2

you can buy it with the one lens kit for $499, same twin lens kit for $605, and the superior 55-300mm twin lens kit for $639 all from amazon.com - the 55-300mm lens not only has greater reach but is optically superior to the 50-200mm so if you can stump up the extra $139 i would go for that one since its a new camera and with better lenses
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:36 AM   #3

Buying a used dSLR is a gamble. There's no way to know how much use and abuse it's received. You may be buying a camera that the previous owner used up.

Also, that 50-200 lens isn't very good.

Lastly, Amazon has the Pentax K-x with the 18-55 and the 55-300, a beeter lens, for $639. Considering that, $500 for a used K-x plus lenses doesn't sound like a very good deal at all.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:39 AM   #4

Default Thanks for suggestions!

Thank you for suggestions.
I agree that buying used is a gamble but they guy bought it in July.
But regardless, he might have dropped it, jumped on it or whatever...
I really like the zoom of FZ35 that goes almost 500mm.
So, getting a DSLR with 300mm zoom lens makes more sense as 300mm x 1.5 crop for Pentax will be 450mm equivalent.
I've heard great things about T2i but with extra zoom lens, it is almost $900.
Pentax K-X is couple of hundred cheaper than T2i with similar low light performance and I'll keep that suggestion in mind for the lens with 300mm zoom.
May be I should wait till Thanksgiving or Christmas sale for them and use FZ35 for now.
I want to buy something that I can keep for couple of years without buyer's remorse.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:46 AM   #5

Here is the thing about the 55-300, new by itself it is a 350 dollar lens, in kit form it is only 140 dollars more.

The longer lens on the T2i is either the ef-s55-250 with 400mm or reach or the ef 70-300IS USM with 460mm or reach. The 70-300 is 550 dollars and the 55-250 is 250.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Thank you for suggestions.
I agree that buying used is a gamble but they guy bought it in July.
But regardless, he might have dropped it, jumped on it or whatever...
I really like the zoom of FZ35 that goes almost 500mm.
So, getting a DSLR with 300mm zoom lens makes more sense as 300mm x 1.5 crop for Pentax will be 450mm equivalent.
I've heard great things about T2i but with extra zoom lens, it is almost $900.
Pentax K-X is couple of hundred cheaper than T2i with similar low light performance and I'll keep that suggestion in mind for the lens with 300mm zoom.
May be I should wait till Thanksgiving or Christmas sale for them and use FZ35 for now.
I want to buy something that I can keep for couple of years without buyer's remorse.
When you buy something and it has a 30 day return guarantee, at day 21, decide then if you want to keep it or not. After that ignore all photo forums, new ads of products, flyers, magazines, everything because it always creeps in.

As far as the FZ35 yes it goes to 505mm at least for me in my exif file info and upto 986mm with the Extended Zoom.

But that said I too am thinking about going the dslr route.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
Generally, dSLRs don't go on sale very often. Lots of people buy them during the holidays and they know that and they keep the prices level. The price of the K-x is extraordinarily low right now, and I don't think it will get much lower. (The same is true of the T2i, btw.) If you can buy it now, you'll have a month's more experience with it when taking your holiday photos, than you would by waiting, and dSLRs have a longer learning curve than P&S digicams.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:33 PM   #8

Great info!
I'll keep my eyes open for DSLR deals.
I almost bought a Sony a230 for around $300 from Sony outlet but didn't buy due to lack of live view and video.
One thing I am not clear is there are combo deals of 18-55mm and then 70-300mm lenses.
How does that gap of 20mm (55-70) relate to taking pictures?
Can I live with that gap or it is a complete no no?
Thank you all.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:37 PM   #9

The pentax k-x is the lowest price dslr that shoot HD, and it is allot better then any of the sony entry level in the A3XX or A2XX
Old Oct 15, 2010, 2:44 PM   #10

One of the reasons the Kx is so low right now is that Pentax has come out with a new camera - more or less the same sensor but with a few more features. While they haven't said that they will be discontinuing the very popular Kx, it's sort-of assumed that will happen in a couple of months. I think this is an excellent time to buy it new, while there's still a lot of stock around in all stores and they are interested in selling it off since many will opt for the new cameras. As the stock levels fall for the Kx, the price will go back up. While I won't say that the price will be higher around Thanksgiving (I have no way of knowing how much inventory is out there), I wouldn't be surprised if it did start creaping up in a month or two.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about this but in general, this is what has happened to all the previous Pentax cameras as they brought out replacement models.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote