Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 15, 2010, 9:14 PM   #1

Default Best compact digicam for live band photos

I'm searching for the best compact digicam for taking photos of live rock bands. I prefer a natural look without using the flash. So I need something which has solid IS if i'm taking pics in the mosh pit, fast shutter response, good low light with minimal noise, and a powerful zoom.

Maybe i'm asking too much from a compact, but I thought i'd put the question out there.

I currently have a Panasonic DMC-ZR1, which isn't too bad, but the camera noise can be very intrusive at anything over ISO 200 (much worse then the Canon IXUS I had previously). I love the 8X zoom on this, so I wouldn't be inclined to choose anything less. I also like the Max shutter speed and leave it 1/3oth second when taking the band photos

This is about as good as I can get from the Panasonic:

Alex15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:42 PM   #2

They generally don't put high quality sensors with great low light capability into a compact cam (DSLR's are the way to go).

You could look at a Panasonic LX3.

Not much zoom, however. I'm assuming you can get close to the action.
TerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:51 PM   #3
Super Moderator

you are not going to find anything with 8x or more zoom that performs well in low light.

the best compact for low light are the larger sensor cams. the canon s90/95 (4x zoom 105mm at full zoom), the panny lx3 (3x zoom, but only 60mm at long end this is not a good choice), panny lx5 (better but still only 90mm at full zoom), and Samsung EX1 (3x zoom only 72mm at full tele).

so the s90/95 is your closest choice in the full compact market.

if you can go up in size a bit, nikon's new p7000 uses the bigger sensor and has a 200mm equivelent zoom (same as the ZR1). but it is a bit bigger and bulkier.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:11 AM   #4

Thanks for that, the S95 is on my shortlist (I might be able to take the concession of zoom).

I curious, is the IXUS 1000 upto similar level as the S95 in low light?

How about the Fujifilm F300EXR?? I noticed that the review pictures display fairly soft images.

Has Panasonic improved the noise at higher ISO with the TZ10 compared to previous model?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:26 AM   #5
Super Moderator

the other models you listed will not compare to the canon s90/95 in low light.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:40 AM   #6

From what I understand from a few reviews of the S95, the optical zoom doesn't function in video mode. This would be a big disadvantage for me. Does the Panasonic LX5 have such a feature?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex15 View Post
From what I understand from a few reviews of the S95, the optical zoom doesn't function in video mode. This would be a big disadvantage for me. Does the Panasonic LX5 have such a feature?
Yes, the LX5 zooms in video. Keep in mind that the LX5 is small but it isn't pocketable unless you've got very baggy jeans or a nice coat. You'll probably need a belt case or similar.

btw, you can optically zoom before hitting the record button on the S95, but not during recording.

Shot courtesy of Serious Compacts

Last edited by FiveO; Oct 17, 2010 at 4:02 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote