Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:16 AM   #1

Default New DSLR - Sony A55???

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a new dslr, but am having a little trouble deciding what to get. I used to have an Olympus E-510, but decided to sell it and upgrade. I'm seriously considering the new Sony A55, but being that it's still pretty new I haven't seen too many user reviews on it. I really like the sweep panorama and hd features it offers, but if there are better options in this price range I am willing to do without the panorama. Anyone here have any experience or thoughts on it?

I'm also considering the T2i. Any other cameras I should consider in this price range? I really am open minded to any brand. I just want to get the best camera for the money in this price range, so any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA,

-Bruce

Last edited by Homer Jay; Oct 17, 2010 at 2:18 AM.
Homer Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:22 AM   #2

The A55 is not a dslr, as there is no reflex mirror.

Will with HD you are looking at the 2 best in lower price range. Both the T2i and A55 shoots HD at 1080. The canon will give you more lens options.

Since the A55 uses a evf vs vf, if you shoot action. You can not take full advantage of the camera high burst rate. You will be limited to 3fps, as the evf does not refresh fast enough to allow you to take your target. But it does do sweep pano with the 10fps burst.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:26 AM   #3

Keep in mind that recording video with any dSLR (or dSLR-like camera) isn't nearly as easy as it is when using a camcorder or even a P&S digicam. But with that said, the Sony A55 uses it's phase detection AF system while recording video, which is faster and more accurate than the contrast measurement AF system that the Canon uses while shooting video. The problem, however, is that the phase detection AF system only works at the lens' maximum aperture, so your exposure options are limited and you will get shallow depths of field which will blur objects closer or farther away than the subject distance. But there are advantages also, like you can zoom with lenses that don't have a constant aperture and the exposure system will automatically adjust it's settings as the aperture changes, which the Canon doesn't do. So recording video will be a chore, whichever system you choose.

But Sony is currently the only brand of camera that offers anything like 'Sweep Panorama'.

Besides recording video and panorama, what do you wnat to shoot?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:45 AM   #4

So far, I've read a large number of negative experiences with the A33/A55 cameras. Of course there's always happy users but they seem to be outnumbered at this time. I'd look into the A560/A580 also. They've been overshadowed by the A33/A55 since they were release simultaneously and the A33/A55 brings a new type of technology to the photography world.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:54 PM   #5

mr. homerJ. try this. hold the a55 up, look thru the evf. first thing you'll notice is that the colours are different from real. yep, my one and only experience with the a55 seems to indicate that user settings (like wb) are applied to the evf display. might be a good thing. then swing your body back and forth as if you were watching your child on a swing set. if you like the lag, and the very slow refresh that looks like a slide show, you'll be ok.

if, like me, that becomes a nogo, then you can look elsewhere.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:45 PM   #6

I like the fact that you can see the results of change in settings such as WB as you make them, before you actually take the picture. This is how m4/3 cameras work and probably one of the biggest advantages of the system. Unfortunately, as Frank pointed out, the refresh rate is on the slow side because basically the camera is processing the image you see on the LCD/EVF at all times rather than a DSLR viewfinder which is simply a mirror reflecting what you see.

Tullio
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
mr. homerJ. try this. hold the a55 up, look thru the evf. first thing you'll notice is that the colours are different from real. yep, my one and only experience with the a55 seems to indicate that user settings (like wb) are applied to the evf display. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I like the fact that you can see the results of change in settings such as WB as you make them, before you actually take the picture. This is how m4/3 cameras work and probably one of the biggest advantages of the system. ...
So you see the effects of the bad light corrected under the bad light?

That's just wrong.

The brain automatically corrects for color temperature, so we don't notice the bad light. So seeing the color corrected for the bad light while under the bad light will look really bad.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
So you see the effects of the bad light corrected under the bad light?

That's just wrong.

You lost me, TCav. There is no "bad" light to our eyes. They are different but not bad. Now the camera on the other hand can easily turn that different light into a bad light if the WB is off. I can easily tell the difference between an overly orange image caused by poor handling of WB under tungsten light and what that same light should look like. My eyes don't see orange when I'm under tungsten light.

Tullio
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:55 PM   #9

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The A55 is sounding like it's not the camera for me. I like to do some macro shooting, but I will mainly be using it to take pics of my family and friends. That would include lots of pictures of my 8 year old daughter and all of her friends, so I know that the slow refresh rate would just drive me nuts.

That being said, in this price range, would the T2I be my best choice? I really like all the lens options that you have with Canon. Or are there others I should consider? i know there is not a "best camera", but I would like to narrow it down to a few and then go from there.

Thanks again everyone!
Homer Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:01 PM   #10

the t2i comes with the ef-s 18-55mm IS. It is a decent wide angle lens. If you do need to chase kinds around indoor, I would go wit a lens like the ef-s 17-55 2.8 IS USM, or the sigma and tamron 17-50 2.8. They will give better results indoor with the bigger aperture.

Chasing kids outdoor the ef-s 55-250 is okay, but the ef 70-300 IS USM would focus faster on the kids.

Macro, you can go a very inexpensive route. With either the ef-s 55-250 or the ef 70-300 you can add a 500D close up lens and it will let you get some pretty good macro shots. Here are the examples what that 80 dollar conversion lens can do with both those zoom, the ef-s 55-350 first.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...00d-macro.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cl...e-up-lens.html