Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Default Upgrading from XTi to either T2i or 60D

So I'm looking to upgrade from my XTi to either a T2i or 60D.

How I use my cameras: Primarily my subject are my kids. Secondarily it is still wildlife (including butterflies and hummingbirds). With the kids, I need a fast response time, and excelent low light ability (kids running indoors).

I also have a canon point-n-shoot for unexpected photo needs (can carry it all the time), and for 720p video. The video looks great, but I can't zoom, or shoot with a narrow depth of field.

I don't have all the money in the world to spend, but I can spend the extra ~$300 for the 60D (if it is worth it). If it is not worth it, then I'd rather put that into another lense.

Current lenses:
50mm f1.4 (My favorite lense for shooting the kids especially for low light)
EFS 18-55 (XTi kit lense) (Hardly used)
75-300mm f4-5.6 (Mainly used for wildlife)

What I want to get from a new body:
1) An SLR that can also take 1080p: narrow depth of field, auto focus while shooting, zoom while shooting. (My current lenses are too noisy for auto focus while shooting, so saving extra $$ for a new lense would be good.)
2) Fast focusing. Kids move in all directions in a split second. The camera needs to be able to get that split second focus, and get the shot. (This alone was leaning me toward the 60D with the 9 cross focus feature)
3) Lower noise at higher ISO (I'm thinking that both will be about the same on this).
4) Focus accuracy. For a while my, XTi/50mm lense was reliably focusing near. I sent the 50mm in for repair and that is better now. But if one can accept user adjustments to the auto focus, that would be a plus to me.

I appreciate any thoughts any of you have as to which of these cameras might be best for my uses.

Also: My brother has the 7D, but uses manual focusing during video taking. Can the auto focus be used to change focus while video taking is in progress? I was thinking you could hold the trigger half down while in servo mode. Can anyone comment to this?
Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:28 PM   #2

Get the t2i, and put the saving to getting a better lens then the 75-300, upgrade that to the 70-300. You will have much better results. t1i, twi and 60d all uses 9 AF points.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 2:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Get the t2i, and put the saving to getting a better lens then the 75-300, upgrade that to the 70-300. You will have much better results. t1i, twi and 60d all uses 9 AF points.
To clarify, from what I have read it seems that the T2i only has 9 point AF, while the 60D has 9 cross type (not point) AF. Is there much difference between the point style and the cross style? The reviews I've read indicate the cross style will be much better (faster/accurate).

Also, since you mentioned another lens, I was leaning toward the EF-S 15-85mm. I hardly ever use the telephoto lens, so I don't think I want to put my money there yet. However, since I'm planning to do video, I need to know which lenses will be quiet, and I haven't seen a lot of reviews regarding noise. Any lense suggestions for the (15-20) to (70-134)mm zoom lenses? For a lense I'm looking to stay under $700.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:02 PM   #4

If you are shooting sports, the 60D does have a better AF system and faster fps. But the T2i will be able to keep up with your kids.

The 15-85 is a really good lens. Much better then the kit lens 18-55. But there is a upgrade form your 18-55 to the current model. Starting with the XSi the 18-55 had IS added to it. The 15-85 lens will give you sharper and better results then the kit lens, also since it is USM, it will focus allot faster then the kit lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 17, 2010 at 4:10 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:48 PM   #5

Thank you shoturtle for your insight.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:53 AM   #6

I agree with the postings above. I think the T2i will address your needs, and you will get better results of the subjects you shoot by investing in good, fast lenses, like the 50mm f/1.4 you have, but in other focal lengths you may need. To address your list:

"1) An SLR that can also take 1080p: narrow depth of field, auto focus while shooting, zoom while shooting."

The video on these dSLRs are not designed to replace a camcorder or to take home movies of the kids. They are designed for - and have been embraced by - videographers who were aching for the ability to utilize narrow depth of field and various lenses on an affordable camera. They don’t have continuous autofocus during shooting and work best using manual focus and a follow focus device, working off a tripod or a rig, and using various other add-ons. You can implement auto focus during shooting to refocus, but for professional looking results you would typically edit that part out. But, if you have the patience and desire to film and edit, and perhaps were referring to other video needs than just everyday filming of the kids, you can make great videos with a T2i or 60D.

"2) Fast focusing. Kids move in all directions in a split second. The camera needs to be able to get that split second focus, and get the shot."

As they said above, the 60D does have more accurate AF points, but those of the T2i can do what you want. Capturing those types of images have as much to do with camera operation and the photographer’s instinct and alertness as they do with the equipment. Although you should also make sure you fully understand how the different AF focusing modes, AF points, and focus tracking work. Different modes and different use of the AF points can accomplish what you want. For example if you start focus and keep the subject under your selected AF point, the camera can continue to evaluate the focus distance until the shot is taken. Or if you start with the center point and activate all AF points, it can track the subject to the other points. I don’t want to go all into it here – I wrote an ebook for each of these cameras to explain these types of things! Or see the manual.

Have a look at the “Dance” gallery on my website. http://www.dojoklo.com/
The Peruvian dancers were moving and spinning extremely quickly. Those were taken with a Rebel XT with 7 simply arrayed AF points. I selected a single AF point and used One Shot focusing mode, not a Servo focusing mode, (not to be confused with Single Shot vs. Continuous Shot drive mode) and quickly focused and recomposed. (Don’t mean to come across as bragging - just trying to show that it can be even more easily done with the better AF system of the T2i.)

"3) Lower noise at higher ISO"

They both have virtually the same sensor, so image quality and ISO performance will be the same. If you don’t believe me, look at this dxomark comparison.

"4) Focus accuracy."

Neither the T2i nor the 60D has the AF Microadjustment feature. If you have major issues, send the camera and/or the lenses to Canon for calibration. If they are under warranty, it will only cost you shipping and insurance, one-way.

Good luck with the decision. I go into a lot more detail about comparing these cameras - 7D, 60D, T2i - on a post I wrote on my blog Picturing Change. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Last edited by djkmann1; Nov 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM.
djkmann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:18 AM   #7

I'll jump in about the fast moving kids. I agree that t2i is plenty - but your lenses are the weak link. None of your lenses will focus fast enough to track well. They're a weak link. So, your T2i will still be handicapped by the poor performing lenses you have.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:26 AM   #8

I will add my bit the 550d/t2i will track kids ok. it tracked a Spitfire this summer. No problems, this is a really nice camera
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote