Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Default Canon S95 or SD4000is

Hello,

I have a Lumix TZ7=ZS3, good travel zoom camera, but INMO very bad in Low Light conditions, underpower flash, too warm WB, the same problems in videos. During days is a great camera ( except problems with "bars" when there are lights), but I need to edit all my "event photos", night shots, in order to be simply acceptables.

For this reason I was interesting in a new camera, and I am thinking in Canon s95, have you got video samples? How is the video quality in low light conditions compare with Lumix TZ7?
How is the flash performance? Do you think is a good pocketable camera for nights events?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by zchymalaga; Oct 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Checking new possibilities
zchymalaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The S95 would be one of the best pocketable cameras for night events. Its high ISO performance is simply in a different league than the zs3 due to its larger 1/1.7 vs 1/2.3 sensor. This gives you better low light performance without flash. The flash on the s95 is better as well, and the better high iso performance also helps this as well, so that you can dial up the ISO and this will also increase your effective flash range.

for a pocketable lower light cam, this one is probably the best bet. Panasonic LX5 and Samsung EX1 also do great in low light, but they are less pocketable.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:32 PM   #3

Many thanks for your quick answer.

I share with you my worries about this camera:

In a few complete reviews about Canon s90, in conclusions, you can read things like:

Good for---Lanscapes, interiors and anyone wanting a 'walkaround' compact with excellent image quality

Not so good for
---Fast moving subjects or low-light social photography. Movies.

Conclusions cons:
  • Focus in low light and at long end of zoom could be faster
  • Flash underpowered, flash performance overall not that impressive
I understand that basically Canon s90 and s95 are very similar in photo quality terms, so I am worried about this, because I know most of my photos are low light social photos.
On the other hand I know a good reflex produce much better photo quality, but I think the best camera photo is the one you always have with you.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 1:48 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Compared to a SLR camera, of course no compact is going to be in the same league. not only in low light image quality, but also in focus speed and accuracy.

But as for a pocketable camera, the S95 is the best option. It won't do the same job as a dslr, but it will be as close as you can get in your pocket. I never really thought the flash on the s90 looked bad, the flashes on compacts are not going to compare to a nice external flash, but that one is no worse than the rest, and still better than your panasonic for sure.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchymalaga View Post
Many thanks for your quick answer.

I share with you my worries about this camera:

In a few complete reviews about Canon s90, in conclusions, you can read things like:

Good for---Lanscapes, interiors and anyone wanting a 'walkaround' compact with excellent image quality

Not so good for
---Fast moving subjects or low-light social photography. Movies.

Conclusions cons:
  • Focus in low light and at long end of zoom could be faster
  • Flash underpowered, flash performance overall not that impressive
I understand that basically Canon s90 and s95 are very similar in photo quality terms, so I am worried about this, because I know most of my photos are low light social photos.
On the other hand I know a good reflex produce much better photo quality, but I think the best camera photo is the one you always have with you.
The shutter speeds on the S95 are not very impressive and the focus speed is mediocre so indeed, it is not good for fast moving subjects. I have no idea why it would say not good for "low-light social photography." Low light performance is quite good for this class of camera as mentioned above.

The flash on the S95 is overpowered if anything. Flash compensation has to be dialed down at least -2/3 to avoid overexposing with flash. For a pocket cam, the flash is plenty strong.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:29 AM   #6

Thanks for your answer.

I read a lot about this camera, and most of profesional reviews explain A mode is not brilliant, and if you make group photos, you know how important is to take quick. I like to make M adjust when I take landscape or buildings photos, not in peopleīs photos.

Besides I donīt like at all canon s95 videoīs limitations: No AF, no Optical zoom. I usually take many short videos.

I am checking other cameras, and on the paper, Canon SD4000 is, is maybe a good camera for me:

Bright lens, compact, video with AF and optical zoom ...
Do you think this camera is good for indoor low light social events photos?
How you compare in photo and video in low light with ZS3 and canon s95?
How is its flash?

Many thanks
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Super Moderator

if you don't like how the auto mode works, you can always use P mode and control a few of the settings, but still be fine for quick snaps.

the sd4000 uses the smaller sensor.

it would not be great for low light.

it would be better than zs3 in low light, but worse than the s95.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:43 PM   #8

I agree with Hards80 on all counts. I use P mode 95% of the time and the only thing I usually change is the White Balance (to one of the presets). However, if full auto mode is the most important issue, then the SD4000 does have a good one. The flash is weaker than the S95 but should do fine.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:02 PM   #9

Ok I see. For me full Auto Mode is not a great issue, but maybe there is a great difference in the quality of videos.

I take usually a lot of short videos, and really I can not imagine if not optical zoom, and specially not AF would be an important issue.
When you are taking a video, with s95, you can use manual focus? I know DOF is small in compact cameras, so I can not imagine if it would be a real problem for me.

How are the video quality of s95 and sd4000 vs ZS3? Any differences in low light videos?

Thanks again