Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:08 PM   #21

now with Sony or Pentax I'm curious about how many lens they have compared to Nikon/Canon. Because in the future I would like to be able to purchase more lens
MissKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:12 PM   #22

about 115 for the sony and 97 for the pentax, for the d3100, d5000, d3000 about 135, other nikons are about 200 canon above 200. These numbers are with 3rd party and current new.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 21, 2010 at 7:44 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:15 PM   #23

However numbers don't tell the whole story. I've been looking for a uwa for my sony alpha and the camera shops in toronto mostly stock canon and nikon mounts. sony is almost impossible to find.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:15 PM   #24

Alright thank you!
MissKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:30 PM   #25

Pentax are even harder to find than Sony in the shops (and online too).
According to the dyxum amount database, there are maybe 350 lenses that are compatible with Sony alpha. A few of these are rare/specialty/super expensive, but it does give you an idea. I would assume that there are vastly more Canikons, and fewer Pentax.

Personally, I think Sony has cheapest entry-mid lenses (especially used). And there a lot of great minolta lenses out there on eBay.
Nikon will certainly have the most expensive lenses if you are getting a d3100/5000. They cannot use most of Nikon's lenses with autofocus, since they have no autofocus motor. I personally would only go nikon if I were getting a used d90 or new d7000 (since they can use all lenses)

But, from what I've seen, of any of the four brand you pick, you will be able to find pretty much any lens you will need at an entry/mid level. Sure, Pentax has fewer lenses, but do you think you really will need more than 100 choices (they have around 200)?
It's when you get to pros that the differences are more pronounced, and people go for a specific brand because they have specific lenses and they're spending $6k on it.
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:55 PM   #26

There are about the same amount of lenses with the pentax if you are count older lenses that will mount on the pentax as well. Every pentax camera can used all the older k-mount lenses form the MF era. Just look at Bigdawgs' high end collection of legacy pentax lens.

Vastly more with nikon if you count the older non AF lenses. Canon went with EF mount. And do not have the same amount as the others, as they FD will not mount on EF mounts.

But for starting out a good 2 lens kit is really a good start. And when you get to the point where the kit lenses can not further your photography. Then look to add a lens or 2.

I have a decent amount of lenses, and haver upgraded over the years to what I have now. So with my 9 eos lenses, it took a while to figure out what to add and delete over 20 years with eos. So the lens count is not as important as what kind of lens you need.