Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:04 AM   #1

Default T1i lens help

I got my T1i but am afraid to use it very often because I don't want the lenses to get too dirty. I wouldn't even take it out of the case at the ocean. Not a good way to get good pictures. Do I need a filter lens?
I'm also interested in the Tamron 18- 250 lens so I won't have to change lenses. I took pictures of a baseball game but couldn't get the team picture after it with the 55-250 lens. Would I lose sharpness with that lens? I'm afraid of changing lenses too often because I don't want my sensor to get dirty and I'm slow and might miss a picture.
I really appreciate all of your help on this board. My family and I have been very pleased with the pictures I have taken.
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:10 AM   #2

If you are at the ocean, get yourself a haze 1 filter. All other time not is dust or sandy environment, just shoot the lens without a filter. Adding a filter infront will just degrade your photos.

With the ef-s 55-250 just stop down to f8 and it will be sharp. Shooting wide open will be soft. You will need to stop down with the tamron also. Also was this is daylight or low light with the team shot?

Nothing wrong with changing lenses outdoors. I do it all over the world, just good cleaning practice after you get home will resolve any dirt or dust issues. Get yourself the hand pump rocket blower, some microfiber lens cloth. And when needed a sensor cleaning kit if dirt does down up on the photos after you have clean the lenses.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:29 AM   #3

Thanks for your help. You were my main help in deciding on the T1.
The team was too wide for my lens. Maybe I was too close? It was daylight.
I was afraid of changing outdoors because it was windy with dust from the field. It would make it easier if I mainly use one lens so I don't have to carry so much. I have the 18-55 also. In general, is there one lens that would be more versatile that I can keep on the camera body?
I'm having to take all pictures without adjusting setting since I don't know that much but I'm so pleased with these pictures over my p&s. I really want to learn more. Is there a book you think would help.
My children now want to get a dslr too. If one gets the T2, what lens would you suggest so we can trade and be a good compliment to mine.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:35 AM   #4

the team picture should have been taken with the 18-55.

But the 2 lenses you have will give better results then the one lens solution. In windy conditions, I throw my jacket over the camera and myself, and change under the camera. But if you do want a 1 lens solution, I would skip the tamron 18-250 as it is not IS, and shooting at 200 and higher IS really helps out. I would look at the tamron 18-270 VC or the sigma 18-250 OS.

If your kids want to go with the T2i, I would get the 2 lens kit. Now if you are going with the 1 lens solution, just give them your lenses. They are good lenses. And they can just get the body.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:10 AM   #5

Again, thanks for your advice. I'm going to check on those lenses and talk to my daughter.
I appreciate the tip on changing lenses. I've got so much to learn.
I am very pleased with the camera though and look forward to learning and playing with my new camera. My grandchildren will have no peace now with me following their every move.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:16 AM   #6

For chasing the grandkids around indoors, get a good external flash. the nissin di622 is not to expensive. And learning how to use a flash properly will give you great indoor results.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:21 AM   #7

I'm adding that to my list now. How should I learn to use it properly? Is there a book or trial and error?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 1:29 AM   #8

there are allot of books of flash photography, but I would send mark1616 a pm he is a great flash shooter. And better person to point you on your way on flash photography. byran peterson has couple of books on it. If you google him he has some workshops online
Old Oct 18, 2010, 4:12 AM   #9

Hi theres nothing wrong with the kit you I have the T2i with a 18-55 plus the 55-250 I have the 50 1.8 just a must have at that price and produces such great shots. I also have the nissin di622 again good price lots of power and very easy to use, if you get one use rechargeable batteries that are over 2000mah.
If you have to change lenses then to me it comon sense dont do it if its to dusty get a cleaning kit its been said earlier. I was out this weekend made the wrong choice of lens and had to change it all I did was use bag as a wind break.
As for the flash the nissin uses ttl of the camera and its pretty good. to get better light shots think of using it in the bounce mode either off the ceiling or a wall. direct flash can be harsh. A lot is trial and practise. Good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:16 AM   #10

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check into the suggestions. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.