Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:36 AM   #11

@mtclimber
my needs pretty much match with "sailaways".i am confused between SX130 & nikon S8100.apart from the queries of sailaways my other concerns are
1)taking pics of fast moving objects,sports,kids playing etc. without blur.
2)taking good pics in low light conditions.
3)does SX130 take shots equivalent/better compared to S8100 in low light(room light) and day light? please let me know about both day and night conditions.
i found Sx130 videos better than S8100.just wondering about pic quality.
4)does S8100's CMOS sensor is something better than CCD of Sx130?
5)does manual control of SX130 has an advantage over S8100?
Would be thankful coz it will provide me much ease to choose amongst the different P&S.Thank You.
summerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:54 PM   #12

summerguy-

The big difference between the Nikon S8100 and the Canon SX130 is that the S8100 is a fully automatic camera, there are precious few manual options at all. In contrast the SX130 offers BOTH a fully automatic mode and a manual mode. The Sx130 allows you to use Shutter Preference eg: allows you to set a specific shutter speed to stop fast action. The S8100 does not have that option and ends up choosing very slow shutter speeds that result in blurred photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:59 AM   #13

@mtclimber
Thanks very much for explaining the techincal things.this forum does care about the newbies which is much appreciable.well i hope i will get SX130 then .just heard that its hungry in the battery arena.So overall do u think its better than S8100 when it come to picture quality in both light conditions?BTW is there any other cam falling in this price slot(min 10X optical zoom) which can be a better deal?How abt nikon L120 .it has got 21X zoom but i dont know about its picture quality as compared to SX130.when it comes to shutter speed , is it helpful to shoot in low light and get a decent snap?Thanks again.

Last edited by summerguy; Mar 29, 2011 at 7:37 AM. Reason: more queries.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:47 AM   #14

summerguy-

My husband shoots with the SX130, so I have total hands on experience with the camera. If you use good rechargeable batteries like Sanyo Eneloop batteries, the battery performance is really good, with just 4 to 6 seconds delay between flash shots.

In my opinion the SX130 is a much better camera than the Nikon S8100. The S8100 has a proven record of producing too many blurred photos. The stand out or star camera in the Nikon P+S camera line is the S-6000 if you prefer Nikon. It has 7X optical zoom (28m to1299mm).

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 29, 2011, 2:53 PM   #15

@mtclimber
Thanks for clearing my doubts n worries.S6000 has 7X zoom so i guess i would leave that out but thanks for letting me know about it.I guess i will get SX130 in a couple of days without hesitation unless some other product hits the market that turns out to be a better deal at the similar price range.
To learn the manual settings i googled about the aperture ,shutter speed, ISO etc but it looks like a long story.I guess i will be needing some of your tips in a nutshell for different conditions regarding light ,freezing still/moving objects with/without zoom etc... I mean something to start with.Thanks and expecting to hear from you soon.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:26 PM   #16

summerguy-

You do not list where you live. However, I suspect that it is not in the USA, as American English I do not believe is your mother language, or native tongue. If you are in the USA, the Community College system offers many low cost digital camera course.

Sarah Joyce