Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:12 AM   #1

Default Panasonic GF1, Sony Nex 3, or Olympus Pen

Thoughts? I like the size of these; I am not a super camera bug, but want something good. Thanks for your input
mfez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:35 AM   #2

Can you tell us:

A budget?
The kind of photos you normally take?
If you will use this new camera in an automatic or manual mode?

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:14 PM   #3

Budget is around 550-600. In my fantasy world I use manual. In reality I use automatic mode 99% of the time. I shoot mostly nature shots, my kids, some sports (kids soccer, bike racing). Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:51 PM   #4

For nature and kids shots, and family stuff any of the camera can do that well. Theses camera are not the best for action like soccer or bike racing. But if you need low light for shooting indoors and outdoors the nex and the epl-1 would be better options over the gf1. Between the nex and the epl-1.

The epl-1 and the m4/3 format that olympus and panasonic shear, it will give you allot more lens options. Adding a panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens to the epl-1 will give you excellent low light shooting at 2000iso with a very big aperture. Also the nex do not have any long zoom lens really. Just 2 lens currently the 16mm 2.8 and the 18-55mm kit lens. They just came out with the 18-200mm but that is a HD lens, and is 800 dollars. With the pen, you have options like the panasonice 45-200mm, 14-140HD, the olympus 14-150mm and the new panasonic 100-300mm. On top of that you can use olympus dslr lenses form olympus and sigma with a 4/3 adapter. Which greatly increase lens options.

The epl1 has a 3 step shooting system, full auto just like a point and shoot. Iauto, which gives you control by sliders to the effect you want. And the manual modes.

The nex has a great sensor, the same one as the one in their dslr, but the lenses I mention before except for the 18-200mm are not as good as the M4/3 lenses form panasonic and olympus. But the sony lenses are still better then what you would be uses to from a point and shoot. Also the sony can shoot well upto 3200 iso. which is 2/3 of a stop better then the epl1.

But the epl-1 has ibis, so all lenses mounted on them will be image stabilized. Sony uses IS in there lenses, so you only have IS with lenses with IS built in. So their 16mm 2.8 will not have it, while the 18-55 and 18-200 will. So in low light you will give that 1 stop of performance in iso back with just the lens between the panny 20mm 1.7 and the sony 16mm 2.8, then there is the 3-4 stop of performance that IS give you. So you actually will have a bit better performance with the epl-1 then the nex. But you can push the nex 1 more stop to 6400iso if you are okay with a more noisy image to narrow the gap.

Now if you need even more low light preformance where you need a flash, the built in flash of the epl-1 and the screw on flash of the nex are not that great. The epl-1 will give you the option of adding a ttl external flash giving you a really powerful flash with full control through the camera with any flash design for olympus dslrs.

So at the end, the EVIL's are like buying into a dslr system. It is not just about the camera, but the whole system, and system growth.

You may also want to check out the gui that the nex uses to interface, the improved it a bit, but some do not like the way it is set up.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 19, 2010 at 3:29 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:19 PM   #5

Thanks. I really like the look of the Olympus and the price, but I have seen reviews that the shutter lag is woeful. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:21 PM   #6

The slower af was when it first came out, they resolved it with the firmware update. It is almost if not as fast as the GF1.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:22 PM   #7

Now if you are shooting action, all three camera will have issues with the AF
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:27 PM   #8
Super Moderator

if you want to shoot sports, then you will want to up to a mirrored DSLR. For the other uses a mirrorless cam like you have asked about will do great.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:48 PM   #9

Can anyone say how much slower the lag is compared to a mirrored DSLR? I don't know how fast it really needs to be for ten year olds playing soccer, or a bike rider. For me, the first thing with a camera is whether you want to use it -- and I never want to use my DSLR cause it's too big and bulky.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:57 PM   #10

If you uses C-AF TR it is not that bad for slower action, continuous Auto focus tracking, it locks on your subject as it moves and snaps every time it has focus. But a dslr is push and the shoot will be taken weather it is in focus or not in continuous focus. The Evil's will want a good AF lock before snapping the shot. So the dslr is much better is action is something that is important to you.