Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:25 PM   #11

But it is a jacket pocket camera. And if you ware cargos. it is a cargo packet camera.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 20, 2010 at 9:22 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:14 AM   #12

Downloaded the LX5 ISO80 to compare to the S95 and the S95 is absolutely got better IQ than the LX5 from the samples on Image Resources...the S95 looks to be a class act this time around with excellent IQ and the large sensor for up to ISO800...so I can't wait to get it in my hands! To me there is not another choice that is going to beat it...it also has a Marine Case and I am going to take it Snorkeling...I don't think they even make a Marine Case for the LX3 or LX5 and their size is a limiting factor for me...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Downloaded the LX5 ISO80 to compare to the S95 and the S95 has absolutely got better IQ than the LX5 from the samples on Image Resources...the S95 looks to be a class act this time around with excellent IQ and the large sensor for up to ISO800...so I can't wait to get it in my hands! To me there is not another choice that is going to beat it...it also has a Marine Case and I am going to take it Snorkeling...I don't think they even make a Marine Case for the LX3 or LX5 and their size is a limiting factor for me...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
Also from here the S95 trumped the LX5:
http://www.digitalrev.com/en/panason...8-article.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:48 AM   #14

Just ordered the S95! Hope it is as good as the reviews made it out to be!

My reason for going with the S95 over the LX5 was that the IQ between the two too close to call, they both gave excellent IQ and all of the sample pictures I have looked at to compare it isn't really an issue. Both are excellent and pretty much equal, each one having strengths and weaknesses, neither is perfect.

So with IQ out of the way the only real thing left for me to think about was the size, the S95 won here.

I also picked the S95 as I have a good history with Canon, know the software well, etc. While I am sure the LX5 wouldn't have been an issue to learn (it is probably very similar) I feel a little more comfortable buying something I already know.

Also the lack of manual features (compared to the LX5) kind of made me want the S95 more, I want a point and shot and get good pictures, when I want manual options again I will get a bigger camera which will benefit from the manual options more. Maybe a G12 or a dSLR, who knows For now I think I will be pretty happy with the S95 from what I have read online and your replies so many thanks for taking the time to help

I will let you know once I get it and have taken it for a test run what I think!
ditoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 2:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditoa View Post
My reason for going with the S95 over the LX5 was that the IQ between the two too close to call, they both gave excellent IQ and all of the sample pictures I have looked at to compare it isn't really an issue. Both are excellent and pretty much equal, each one having strengths and weaknesses, neither is perfect.

So with IQ out of the way the only real thing left for me to think about was the size, the S95 won here.
I used the same logic when I purchased my S95.

Here's an ISO 800 sample. Quite usable for small prints.