Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:06 PM   #1

Default HX5 vs LX5 vs G12 vs S95

Hi all,

I had planned to get a DSLR however I have decided against that for now.

I would still like to get a decent camera though but something I can fit in my pocket.

I have narrowed it down to the following models after reading a lot of reviews -

• Panasonic Lumix LX5 (350)
  • Sony CyberShot HX5 (240)
  • Canon PowerShot G12 (400)
  • Canon PowerShot S95 (290)

I am not too keen on the G12 as I owned a G11 and while it is an excellent camera it is a little too bulky to be a "pop it in your pocket" camera.

The problem is I don't know if spending the extra 110 on the LX5 is worth it?

The HX5 has some nice features such as good quality images (from the samples I have seen), 10x optical zoom, CMOS sensor and some nice built in feature such as panoramic sweep and GPS however the LX5 has a much better Leica lens and I am siding with the quality over quantity of the LX5 rather than the HX5 for this reason. Pictures from the LX5 do look better and overall while the tech specs for the LX5 are not as great as the HX5 I am thinking it might be worth it as they are about the same size and the LX5 has known excellent picture quality.

The HX5 is interesting though as it is a bit of a strange camera for the price, the CMOS sensor seems to give great pictures and I am wondering if they will rival the LX5? The extra features such as 10x optical zoom are also nice bonuses if the picture quality is as good.

Like I said I am going for quality over quantity (of features) but want to stick to the pocket size camera. The G12 would be my pick without a doubt if it was not for the size, I was also looking at the Canon PowerShot S95 which has got great reviews but the LX5 (and the HX5) seem to be recommended over it pretty much everywhere.

So what do you think?
ditoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:10 PM   #2

If you do not need the low light ability of the g11 you have, then you can go with the hx5v and have a pretty good travel zoom pocket point and shoot. Now if you do need the image quality of the g11 you have in your next camera the lx5 or the s95 would fix you pocket requirements. The lx5 does give you more opitons if you shoot in manual with a hotshoe for a flash or add the optional evf that is used with the GF1. But you will be limited to a 3-4x zoom

You know what you will get with the g12, just add hd to your g11.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:58 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clear things up I don't have the G11 anymore, I sold it when I moved in January and have not had a camera since then.

I loved the G11 so I am pretty confident I will love the G12 also it is just the size that is an issue. I want a camera I can fit in my pocket and the G11/12 isn't really all that pocketable
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:01 PM   #4

The lx5 will give you all the controls, options and image quality you had in the g11 that can be put into the pocket. The S95 is more limited in controls and options, but it will give g11 iq as well.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:08 PM   #5

Download the full images from Image Resource and then compare each at ISO 80/100 then at ISO 400 or 800...

I downloaded the full images from there on the FZ100 - HS10 - S95 - SX30

The S95 has clearly got excellent IQ I didn't download the LX5 though I don't know if they have images with it there yet?

Last edited by LTZ470; Oct 19, 2010 at 2:22 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:08 PM   #6

How about the HX5 when it comes to image quality (when compared to the G11)? A lot of reviews say the image quality is excellent however I am not a camera buff so I don't really know if the difference between CCD and CMOS actually means anything in these range of cameras of if it is just the Sony marketing machine working its magic?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:17 PM   #7

it really does not match the 1/1.63 sensor even with cmos. The tiny 1/2.23 is good, and very hard to tell the difference is good lighting. But once you drop the light levels it becomes clear as day that the lx5, g12, and s95 are way better.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:07 PM   #8

Looks like it is either the LX5 or the S95 then (as the G12 is not really an option because of size. Will have a good look at as many pictures from both to see which I prefer
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:10 PM   #9

both are good camera, can not go with with either.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:20 PM   #10

I think the LX5 is a better camera than the S95 (lens, DR, etc) but it won't fit in most pants pockets due to the protruding lens. The S95 wins on pocketability and according to most, better JPEGS (not an issue if you shoot raw obviously). I went with the S95. No point having a camera I won't carry and if it doesn't fit in my pocket, I won't carry it. Nice camera anyway.