Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:41 PM   #1

Default Lens suggestion for new T2i

I am about to pull the plug and get a T2i to upgrade my XSi. As most of you know it comes with no lens, or a 18-55 lens, or an 18-135 lens. I have read that the 18-135 lens is really not that great. So I am going to list a few things I want to do with this camera and I know you guys can help me out.

1. I will be taking pictures of kids, family, etc. I have young boys.
2. I am 100% amateur but have owned a DSLR for several years. k10D and then XSi
3. I will be going to South Africa in a month.
4. I really do not like the idea of changing out lens but I read its the best idea and it is what the camera was meant for. 95% of my pics are close up of my boys or wife or friends. So maybe a lens that we use 99% of the time when we are inside and then another lens to use when we are needed more range for sporting events and such.
5. Budget for the lens is I dont know, $400-$500 per lens.
6. I havent ordered the T2i yet so if this is a dumb choice please let me know.
7. I love the idea of recording HD video. Would this possibly replace my Canon HD video recorder? Be nice to only carry one and to be able to do both with the same device.
8. My wife and I dont really mess with the settings too much because we lack the knowledge on what is best so we normally use the default/auto settings.

So what I am looking for is a 2 lens setup with one lens being used 95% of the time for short range pics of my boys mostly inside. Also would like another lens that has some range on it. Sports for the boys and safari in south africa.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Teecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:50 PM   #2

Do you want a long zoom for the South Africa trip. It will be helpful, as I have been there several times on safari. But if you are a landscape shoot at wide angel would be a good idea. And with HD, a USM lens is a good idea. The mic will not pick up as much noise as the lens focuses.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:51 PM   #3

The 18-55 kit lens that comes with the T2i is the same one you got with your XSi, so save your money and buy the body only. Also, the Canon 55-250 IS is a reasonably good, reasonably inexpensive lens, that's also stabilized. It would compliment the 18-55 very well, and would work well while your boys are still young. When they start getting into high school sports, you may need a better lens, but for now, it should do ok.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:54 PM   #4

Canon 70-300 IS USM or Canon 55-250

Last edited by LTZ470; Oct 19, 2010 at 2:56 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:57 PM   #5

Quote:
I havent ordered the T2i yet so if this is a dumb choice please let me know.
Of course not, that is really good choice.

Quote:
I love the idea of recording HD video. Would this possibly replace my Canon HD video recorder?
DSLR users generally don't use their cameras for video recording but it can be used like a camera with at least class6 card. About quality it is good too.

I read about 18-135 kit lens and news aren't good about it. You may look for another brand like tamron or sigma, because 18-135 is really good for everyday use. But it wouldn't be enough for safari even my 250mm is not enough for long shots.

I see that your main point is your children so you can go with 18-55 kit lens. I took really good shots with that.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecee View Post
I am about to pull the plug and get a T2i to upgrade my XSi. As most of you know it comes with no lens, or a 18-55 lens, or an 18-135 lens. I have read that the 18-135 lens is really not that great. So I am going to list a few things I want to do with this camera and I know you guys can help me out.

1. I will be taking pictures of kids, family, etc. I have young boys.
2. I am 100% amateur but have owned a DSLR for several years. k10D and then XSi
3. I will be going to South Africa in a month.
4. I really do not like the idea of changing out lens but I read its the best idea and it is what the camera was meant for. 95% of my pics are close up of my boys or wife or friends. So maybe a lens that we use 99% of the time when we are inside and then another lens to use when we are needed more range for sporting events and such.
5. Budget for the lens is I dont know, $400-$500 per lens.
6. I havent ordered the T2i yet so if this is a dumb choice please let me know.
7. I love the idea of recording HD video. Would this possibly replace my Canon HD video recorder? Be nice to only carry one and to be able to do both with the same device.
8. My wife and I dont really mess with the settings too much because we lack the knowledge on what is best so we normally use the default/auto settings.

So what I am looking for is a 2 lens setup with one lens being used 95% of the time for short range pics of my boys mostly inside. Also would like another lens that has some range on it. Sports for the boys and safari in south africa.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Just curious. if you use auto mode most of the time, why are you upgrading from the XSi? Is it worn out or defective?
Also, what lenses do you use now? They would work on the T2i?
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:03 PM   #7

If you were going with the 70-300IS USM I would match that with the 15-85IS USM.
If you were to got the 55-250, match that with the 18-55.

I have both the 70-300IS USM and the 55-250, and the 55-250 is a good lens, just not as fast to af as a USM lens and just a tad softer the the 70-300. But it is 1/2 the price. I use it mostly for travel as it is light and compact.

But the 28-135 and the 70-300 are my usual setup. As a really wide angle is not that important to me.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:11 PM   #8

I am giving my XSi to my nephew for a gift so the kit lens will be going with it.

I dont want to buy a lens JUST for the safari if that is what you guys are hinting at.

so stick with the 18-55 and maybe get the 55-250?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you were going with the 70-300IS USM I would match that with the 15-85IS USM.
If you were to got the 55-250, match that with the 18-55.

I have both the 70-300IS USM and the 55-250, and the 55-250 is a good lens, just not as fast to af as a USM lens and just a tad softer the the 70-300. But it is 1/2 the price. I use it mostly for travel as it is light and compact.

But the 28-135 and the 70-300 are my usual setup. As a really wide angle is not that important to me.
28-135 or 18-135?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecee View Post
I am giving my XSi to my nephew for a gift so the kit lens will be going with it.

I dont want to buy a lens JUST for the safari if that is what you guys are hinting at.

so stick with the 18-55 and maybe get the 55-250?
That's what I'd do.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote