Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:48 PM   #1

Default A bit overwhelmed. Help?

I'm in the market for a digital camera. The problem is that there's about a billion different options out there, and all the companies say that their camera is the best. This is to be expected, but even when I look at reviews and forums, such as this one, I get conflicting opinions.

What I'm hoping is that you guys can suggest a few cameras that would fit my needs and maybe I could pick from those.

So here goes:
  • Needs to be relatively small. I'm going to be doing some travelling, so I need it to be easily transportable. So no SLRs.
  • I'm pretty much a beginner, but I would like it to be somewhat SLR-like. By that I mean that I want it to have a lot of manual settings (aperture and the like) that I can play around with.
  • Ideally under $300. If there's a really good one for a little more, than by all means let me know and I'll take a look.
  • Great lens: As far as I'm aware, the lens is possibly the most important part of a camera.
  • I would like a decent zoom: something around 10X, but I'm not sure really how important this is.
  • I don't plan to be taking too many motion shots, so it isn't terribly important, but something with decent capability would be nice.
  • Looks spiffy:not actually important, but always nice.

Right now I have my eye one a few of the Sony models, namely the WX1, the WX5, and the HX5V. If anyone can comment on the differences among these three, I would appreciate it.

So that's it. If any of my criteria are absolutely moronic (such as price), then don't hesitate to let me know. I'm looking forward to seeing some opinions that are much better informed than my own.

Thanks.
manarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 5:17 PM   #2

Hi there, I am not an xpert but do look at the Kodak 950 or the even better Canon powershot 130is. Both r less than $300 and fulfil most of your requirements.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:00 PM   #3

while the panasonic fz35 sounds like it fits your bill very well, and i'd suggest you look it up on this board, i'd also like to suggest you check out the kodak z915. it's about a hundred dollars, has 10x zoom, better than average auto white balance, has full PASM so you have manual, aperture, shutter and so on. does it have a great lens? probably not, but the pics are better quality than a lot i've seen on pocketable cameras or some others the same size and higher price.

here are some pics i took with my z915. i shrunk them but did not process them in any way - these are exactly as they came from the camera except for size:

pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 4:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by manarius View Post
I'm in the market for a digital camera. The problem is that there's about a billion different options out there, and all the companies say that their camera is the best. This is to be expected, but even when I look at reviews and forums, such as this one, I get conflicting opinions.

Right now I have my eye one a few of the Sony models, namely the WX1, the WX5, and the HX5V. If anyone can comment on the differences among these three, I would appreciate it.

So that's it. If any of my criteria are absolutely moronic (such as price), then don't hesitate to let me know. I'm looking forward to seeing some opinions that are much better informed than my own.

Thanks.
I just got my WX5 on Saturday and it's amazing...Intelligent Auto-Mode and especially Superior Auto-Mode make incredibly SLR-like photos !

Night shots also look amazing with Hand-Held Twilight...and you can take very beautiful ultra-wide panoramic pics with the iSweep Panorama function !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:26 AM   #5

The FZ35/38 is your best bang for the buck for DSLR like camera shape...the S95 would be the best pocket camera from the results I have seen thus far...

Sorry, no offense, but the Sony Cameras are no where near the IQ of the Canon S95...or even the older S90...I would even choose the Panasonic ZS7 over the Sony Camera it actually has better IQ...had the HX5, but returned it...not saying it isn't capable, but soft and not very good at macro's...just wasn't my cup o' tea...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:01 AM   #6

I also got rid of my HX-5 as the HD video sound was so poor and as the ISO setting was increased above ISO 400, the images dramatically lost their level of saturation, making them unacceptable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7

Thanks everyone.

I guess I wasn't too clear about what I wanted. I'm not looking for anything that looks like an SLR. What I want is essentially a compact camera (but not tiny) with full manual controls like you would find in an SLR. I would like for it to be able to fit into my pocket.

So I went to Best Buy last night and asked the guy there what he would recommend. He said that the Sony HX5 was a possibility, but not the best choice, as some of you have indicated. His recommendations were the Canon SX210 and, to a lesser extent, the Canon SD4500. He mentioned that the SX210 had more of a true full manual control option.

What are your opinions on the SX210 and the SD4500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber
I also got rid of my HX-5 as the HD video sound was so poor and as the ISO setting was increased above ISO 400, the images dramatically lost their level of saturation, making them unacceptable.
What would you recommend in its place?

Thanks guys.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:00 PM   #8

Canon S90:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...cape-shot.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...sh-photos.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...sh-museum.html
Panasonic ZS7:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-colorado.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...cro-crops.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...no-museum.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...pider-zs7.html

Plenty of other samples throughout the forum just by searching the camera that you like within the dedicated forum...the ZS7 can be had for cheap right now and the S90 also...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:20 PM   #9

Thanks a lot. Your sample photos with the ZS7 were really the deciding factor for me. Well, that and the price.

I ended up biting the bullet and ordering the Panasonic ZS5 from Amazon. With free two-day shipping, it's slated to be here on Friday. I also ordered an 8GB Class 10 memory card for about $15, bringing my total to about $230. Good deal?

I looked at both the ZS5 and the ZS7, but eventually decided on the ZS5 because the better LCD screen, GPS, and AVCHD weren't worth the extra $40 to me.

We'll see how things go and maybe I'll post some pics here to let you guys know how things went.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:22 PM   #10

All rivers lead to the Canon SX-130

I asked pretty much the same question as you and researched the last 2 years of review and it looks like I will be getting the SX-130 this weekend (probably - it is on sale)

Was considering the SX210 as well, but reviews of the image quality are consistently below par for a canon camera - so that one is out.

The image quality for the SX-130 seems better than most in the class of camera. It might not be the fastest camera out there but in all other aspects it seems to be the best one out there...for me at least...

We shall see....
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote