Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:35 AM   #31

older pentax did, but with the k-7 on it has gotten allot better. I can shoot birds in flight with it, and get good results.

Here is couple of shots of a bird in flight. Shot with the k-x with the kit lens 55-300mm. It had no problem keeping focus.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...birds-nyc.html
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:56 AM   #32

Pentax has gotten better as shoturtle mentioned. There's still a gap - it's noticed in more demanding situations. The area where Pentax still lags is fast focusing lenses. If you think your kids sports are going to be a priority for you over the years, Canon and Nikon are much safer bets - much larger fast-focusing lens offerings and better upgrade path for sports-caliber bodies. Pentax makes great cameras and lenses but it's still lagging in the sports shooting world behind the two big systems. But, if all you're ever going to do is buy consumer grade lenses and use sports mode then you're not going to see much difference vs. canon/nikon.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
oh i dont know the tests i've seen are pretty close in terms of high iso performance - certainly when you consider the d700 is full frame vs aps-c, i think its kinda remarkable they can compete at all and certainly when judgements even slightly biased ones can come down on the side of the underdog - and its not even just high iso - some tests done show that the sensor has the dynmaic range to match full frame too

and yes there is a certain happy feeling seeing the brand i've bought into producing a good camera but i try not to get to caught up in it - i got the pentax system for thought out reasons and should those needs be met elsewhere - there is always ebay for all my current gear and again i've descided not to get the k-5 dispite all the bandwagons begging to be jumped on but i am gonna wait and see what appears next year - but i do think the days of noticibly better performance from full frame sensors is rapidly disappearing - and that thinner dof for equivalent focal length just wont be enough reason to go FF soon - then again shall wait to see the d800 before i lay down to many conclusions =)

regardless though i do think that the high iso performance of modern aps-c cameras is helping those consumer grade lenses go further (assuming they are optically sharp and without to much CA or distortions) since the very wide apertures aren't so critical these days - sure love to have them but dont always want to pay for them - this is especially true for telephoto lenses - wont need to look on with envy at 500mm f4 lenses since my trusty sigma 150-500mm will be able to do the job just fine just with iso up a couple of notches
Just how close? I don't think close at all. See in the Pentax forums they are all worked up now that the K-5 is better than FF just as they said with the Kx but when the reviews are out then it turns out to be war in the Pentax forums like the reviewers are stupid and don't know what they are doing, that's what happened when they gave the Canon T2i a better score than the Kx, so forget about full frame as the 5D II and D700 will be better than the K-5, in high ISO noise it will probably be like the 7D but with lesser chromatic color noise than the 7D.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:46 PM   #34

Thanks a lot, for your comments. I keep thinking this over and over. I guess it could be easier if i could just know which features would be more important.
So here are the things i like about each ( i have been able to see the niko. D3100 and the canon t2i, but no pentax retailer around). And sometjings that mame me nervous.
Canon t2i semen to be a great all around camera, exellent IQ, higher pixels, best video capabilities, higher rango of lenses ( if i decide to spend a lot in the future which i somewhat doubt). Downside lower burst speed, and shutter speed? Seems like it is the leas begginer friendly of these?standard low light ability?
Nikon d3100 it is a linttle smaller, ok movie feature, seems easier to use, af is i think a little better? I still need to research more about lenses. But it seems to have the slowest shutter speed and bursts speedd of the three, how important is it? Higher noise, and i am not sure about low light ability on this
Pentax, i think i would probably chose the k-r although not much is know about it, i would guess it would be at least as good as the k-x. Here is my thinking excellent low light quality, compatible with all pentax lenses, seems easy enough to use, fastest shutter and burst speedd of the three, small size,sturdines, improved af focus? What concerns me most is that there are ver few brick and mortar stores tha carry them, so what happen if i have a problem (send it directly to pentax?? How is their customer sevice,?) I guess my concern is how their smaller presence in the market affects customer support. And also there seems to be like a pentax dismiss group around saying they just dont compete with canon an nikon?
I know i ask a lot of questions, but your help is the only once i have reagrding this issues, and i would like to make a decision as informed as i can, so i won't regret it and gro with it.

Thank you
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:08 PM   #35

Some answers:
First: support has nothing to do with brick and mortar. Any warranty work is sent back to the manufacturer. Brick and mortar's don't repair cameras. So it's not an issue in that regard. Where it can be an issue is in holding and trying a camera or lens and compare side-by-side.

On the shutter speed issue - 1/4000 of Canon vs. 1/6000 for Pentax. The instances where that becomes relevant isn't because you need 1/6000 vs. 1/4000 for the fast shutter speed - it's when the light is so bright and you're shooting at wide apertures (f/2.8 or wider) and are already at lowest ISO and it's so bright you need a fast shutter speed to get proper exposure. I wouldn't sweat this issue. With kit lenses and ISO 100, you're not going to be hitting 1/4000 shutter speeds except in the most rare of circumstances.

As to a pentax dismiss group - I can only speak for myself. Pentax makes wonderful cameras and lenses. But, sports photography is one of the most demanding types of photography on the equipment. There are lots of areas Pentax competes very well in - but sports is a niche they do not. But, as I said, that's only IF you move up the chain and buy the lenses to take advantage of the enhancements Canon and Nikon offer. If you're going to stick with consumer grade lenses then you're not going to realize the benefits of the focus system and lens offerings in those systems.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:04 AM   #36

I'm not expert but I'm also in the market doing a lot of research on entry level DSLR.
Here is my 1 cent...
New in the market: Nikon D3100
Just looking at the still image, D3100 has great low light performance. It is even better than D5000 which is supposed to be higher model.
For video, it has full HD video with Autofocus that no other DSLR has so far.
Canon T2i seems more favorable if its only for sports still image as there are many fast lenses that work with it.
Nikon D3100 needs specific lenses to foucus such as AF-S and AF-I since it doesn't have built in motor for autofocus.
Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax and Olympus have $450 rebate if bought along with printer and DSLR costing over $549 till the end of this month.
So, if initial investment is not an issue, the printer resale for even $150 will make final cost drop by that much.
Mystery123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:41 AM   #37

I am a newbie to DSLRs but not to SLR photography in general. I was going through the same dilmena. Do I get the Nikon D5000, D3100, Canon T2i, or Pentax K-r? Surprisingly enough, I found a shop close to me that actually had both the K-r and D3100 for me to look at. And, in just playing around in the shop, I was disappointed at the D3100 for responsiveness and the grainy LCD. The K-r won me over with the solid build quality, the bright and sharp LCD, the burst speed, and how user friendly the menus look. Oh, and the fact that it displays ISO in the viewfinder whereas the D3100 does not. I had also looked at the T2i and the K-r seemed very similar to that in terms of feel/quality/features. Video is a "nice to have" for me, not the most important decision maker... and what the Pentax offers is just fine with me.

My K-r, complete with 18-55mm and 55-300mm kit lenses ($869 w/ free shipping) should be here on Wed. :-)
martowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:02 AM   #38

martowski, where did you find it for $869? I have not seen it for less than $999 for the body+2 kit lens's. Please do share your secrets
Is it new or used? whats the website?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:04 AM   #39

is this it? ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130446111551#vi-content
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:08 AM   #40

lol, i cant wait for a response, I'm gonna buy it right now. $869 is a much better price than the $999 everywhere else!