Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:10 AM   #41

It sure is. I did a lot of research on this transaction before placing my order. This company is also known as Hotdigital (something they are very upfront about, even in their logo)... but they are actually Focus Camera which is an authorized Pentax dealer in Brooklyn. Posters on other boards indicated positive experiences with them, and Pentax told me (yes, I called Pentax on Friday) that as long as I have a printed receipt showing date and amount of purchase of the new product, I'm covered by warranty.

Unfortunately, based on wanting to thoroughly research this, I missed an even better deal as they had the kit listed for $829 Friday morning but by the time I ordered the listing on e-bay had increased to $869. So I'm kicking myself in the pants for that, but oh well... still a great deal on a kit that goes for $999 on Amazon.com.
martowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:15 AM   #42

Oh, and one more thing, I placed my order on Friday, got a tracking number yesterday, and on the UPS site now it's showing as shipped and should be in my hands on Wednesday.

BTW, in addition to talking to Pentax I called the company (asavings/Hotdigial/Focus Camera) on Friday as well and grilled one of their customer service reps on the camera (is it U.S. or gray market, is it new, does it come with all accessories from the factory, what is your return policy, what happens if it's DOA, are you an authorized dealer, etc.). All questions were answered satisfactorily by a seemingly patient and intelligent young man. I also checked other boards and searched for hotdigital and asavings; found nothing negative.

I can't vouch for the camera or the company yet as I do not yet have the unit in my hands, but can only share what led me to my decision as well as the steps I took in making this. Caveat emptor.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:16 AM   #43

done. thanks martowski (and shoturtle, who pointed this thread w/ price out for me!)
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:19 AM   #44

No problem... good luck. And getting $17 in ebay bucks ain't a bad thing either! :-)

I'm so lame... since it's technically 10/26 now I'm thinking, "Cool... I'll have this tomorrow (well, 10/27)." And my wife say's I'm obsessive about my hobbies...

Last edited by martowski; Oct 26, 2010 at 1:29 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:36 PM   #45

Thanks a lot for your help, sorry for not posting before.
martowski, congrats and please tell us when you get it and your experience with the camera. I think am too leaning towards the k-r. How did it compare with the others in terms of ease of use, and AF? I am completely new to anything more than p & S but want to capture some action shots.
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:24 PM   #46

I just got a call from the ebay store that i bought the camera from, and they offered a 3 year defect/impact/accident warranty on the camera body for 75 bucks... he said they are calling all pentax camera orders from today to offer them the warranty. (it is normally $150)

Last edited by ewheeler20; Oct 26, 2010 at 2:49 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:38 PM   #47

No problem. I'm new to DSLRs as well. I have only looked in the stores so can't provide a comprehensive reivew. I've looked at the Nikon D3000, D3100, Canon T2i, and the Pentax K-r. K-r and T2i seemed like the most responsive and seemed to have better image quality, but that perception may be skewed by the fact that the K-r and T2i have much better LCDs than the D3000 or D3100. And while impressions and asthetics aren't everything, when I handled the D3100 it felt like a more basic unit; the K-r felt like a more advanced camera.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:39 PM   #48

ewheeler20, where did you get your camera from? are they an authorized pentax dealer? Has it arrived? If so what was your experience with them?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:49 PM   #49

marubex, the link is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...551#vi-content

Their store is on ebay (Samy's Camera). I do not believe they are an authorized dealer. But the main reason to buy from one is for the warranty, and today, they are offering the full camera body 3 year warranty (defects and accidents/drops/water/etc) for half price. It came to $925 total. He said they would simply replace my camera, and not fix it.

The person called me personally and held off on shipping to ask me if i wanted to buy the warranty with it. He was very nice, and we went through the whole process together. He said that he will try and get my shipping expedited seeing as how he held off on shipping until he spoke to me.

so far, so good.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:55 PM   #50

thank you, please let us know how it goes, best