Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:11 PM   #51

My K-r from asavings on ebay just arrived as expected. Battery just got charged so I'm going to fire this up!
martowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:24 PM   #52

I am looking forward to what you think. Mine is coming tomorrow (they gave me overnight shipping)
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:57 PM   #53

Just within the first hour of playing around, taking some quick shots in horrible lighting in my upstairs study. I'm a newbie to DSLRs but this seems very intuative to use! No e-dial issues like some others have reported.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:59 PM   #54

martowski great to hear it, please tell us your impressions. ewheeler20, good to know please keep us informed.
I am still undecided... wish could just take the plunge, but I am the kind of person that thinks things over and over, until they have exahusted all possibilities , so your help would be greatly appreciated...
Have fun with your cameras
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:55 PM   #55

you're the kind of person who over thinks stuff? I'd like to show you my 4 page thread that highlights just how much I over think things. I think I "decided" to buy a different camera about 10 times during the thread. lol. I even ordered 2 different camera bodies because at the time, i couldnt decide.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...ve-view-4.html
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:48 PM   #56

Well, again, I'm a newbie to DSLRs so I can't give a comprehensive review; anything I say will sound very amateurish and pedestrian compared to some of the experienced folk on this board. But my initial impressions are very positive.

First, the K-r just feels like a quality unit to me. Hard to describe, but I looked at other DSLRs in the store and some of the felt "toy-ish" in comparison. This camera is very comfortable to hold with one hand as well. Love the rubberized gripping surfaces vs. the hard plastic some other brands use.

The menus seem very intuative and I'm already feeling comfortable moving around the menu and info buttons and using the directional keys and e-wheel to get to where I need to go, change settings, etc. Everything seems very well thought out and is in plain english... not abbreviations that are impossible to figure out. Settings are very easy to change as well.

In continuous shooting, this thing is fast... scary fast! But again, I'm not experienced with other DSLRs but did play with the continuous drive on other cameras in the stores. The Nikon D3100 seemed slow by comparison... almost painfully so.

Love the LCD. It's bright, crisp, and clear. Pics actually look much better on it than on my old CRT monitor (hmmm.... maytime time for an LCD monitor for my home PC). Not to just bash the Nikon D3100, but when I looked at its LCD in the store compared to the K-r, there was no comparison.

Hard to describe, but so far I'm very impressed with the amount of customizing one could do with this unit but also with the fact that it's still very easy to use. Things seem to click, snap, and work very precisely as well. I haven't taken any "real" pictures with this yet as I've been just photographing misc things in my study tonight, so the real test will come later. But so far, with as much as I could reasonbly say after just a couple hours inside a dimly lit room, I'm very happy with this camera and can't wait to actually get outside with it!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:07 PM   #57

I LOVE my k-r! it has really surpassed all my expectations.

does anyone know if it is possible to use a wireless remote or the timer when taking exposure bracketed photos? It doesn't seem to let me use either!
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:29 PM   #58

I believe you need to use a cable release for that feature. I does not allow to use a time or wireless.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:53 PM   #59

Ewheeler, martowski, how are you enjoying your new cameras?

I still can not pull the plug..

Have to questions... How does less MP affect IQ,? How is the AF and metering? I have a hard time picturing what would be best for what i want to do, the eso t2i which supposedly has a faster af and metering but much slower fps vs the kr with much faster fps but what some people complain as show af and less effective metering?

Thanks again for all your comments, suggestions and time
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:57 PM   #60

I am enjoying the K-r quite a bit. I tested the autofocus using the Moire pattern today and with the two kit lenses it tested out to be right on (at least at the short distances I was testinng from). I'm finding that I may want to have my images +1 exposed to get a somewhat lighter image which is what I typically prefer. Autofocus seems very quick and responsive. For some of your more techincal questions I may not be the best source as this is my first DSLR and I have no experience with the T2i besides handling one in the store. I'm sure either would be a good choice. I do love the quick FPS on the K-r... took photos of the kids on swings the other day and it was nice.