Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:35 PM   #61

I am immensely enjoying the camera. As far as your questions, i cannot answer those too accurately. I do not have enough technical experience. The AF is very quick, but just like martowski, this is my first dslr. The 6 fps is fantastic and it comes in handy more often than i thought it would. I have not experimented too much yet with the metering quality.

After just 2 days of gentle use, I have learned my way around the menu very efficiently. I can now navigate the camera in the dark without seeing what all the buttons say. In terms of the learning curve between my canon P&S, and the Pentax K-r, it was very quick.

Something that was a concern of mine before buying a dslr, was the lack of a quality live view. (I rarely use the viewfinder with my P&S). This has been a complete non-issue. I can effectively change settings that i need to change in full manual mode without removing my eye from the viewfinder; ISO, shutter speed, exposure, and aperture. I have kept the white balance in auto so far.

I have two cons so far. I cannot not use the wireless remote while in exposure bracketing mode. Also, while taking photos at 6fps, it will not refocus. (I knew this before I bought the camera though).

I'd give this camera (with my current lens setup) a 9 out of 10 for the money I spent and the quality of shots I was looking for.

If i take 100 photos, I could realistically keep 75% of them, and about 20 of them would be real quality keepers. Compare that to my canon sx20 P&S, i'd get maybe 40 out of 100 semi-keepers, and about 9-10 quality keepers.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:45 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubex View Post
Ewheeler, martowski, how are you enjoying your new cameras?

I still can not pull the plug..

Have to questions... How does less MP affect IQ,? How is the AF and metering? I have a hard time picturing what would be best for what i want to do, the eso t2i which supposedly has a faster af and metering but much slower fps vs the kr with much faster fps but what some people complain as show af and less effective metering?

Thanks again for all your comments, suggestions and time
Less megapixels seems to actually create better images once you go over 6 MP. It seems to be a good reason why some professionals I know still use a Nikon D70 (6mp) over current models and no they're not strapped for cash.

I would suggest you look at image quality above numbers because Canon can beat almost anyone with numbers but their image quality leaves a lot to be desired by me personally.
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:48 PM   #63

Be careful with that thinking, if you print larger the extra pixels do help. That is why the leica S are uses by the pros the print large, and need max details. Being a 28k dollar camera.

You want at least 10mp in a dslr body if you want to print poster size, if you need to crop the shot any bit.

But if you print and view your shots on a computer, you will not notice a difference between a 10mp and 18mp sensor.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:19 AM   #64

Yes but how many people really print gallery sized 24 x 32 prints often? And if gallery sized prints or posters is really the aim, then a full frame camera with a bigger sensor and more megapixels would be better yes?
Lilacfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2010, 3:33 PM   #65

if you crop 25 recent of a 6mp photo, that leaves you with 4.5mp, And you do not get a great print at 8.5x11. And that is not a large print.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:28 PM   #66

I thought i should let you know and thank you all for your help an guiding. After a lot of agonizing indecision, i just finally oredered through Amazon a t2i with the 18-55 and 55-250 for about 860 or so, hopefuly it will arrive tuesday.
And i will keep you posted...

Greetings,

Marķa
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:39 PM   #67

I picked up the same thing about a week ago. I got a flash ordered for it as well, it just came in yesterday.. HIGHLY recommend! It makes quite a bit of difference for indoors shots, haven't gotten around to trying it outdoors yet. It's a Nissin di622 btw, good n cheap!
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote