Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:29 PM   #1

Default What would you get K-R, T2i or K-X? If it was your first DSRL?

Hi, and thank you for your expertise. I've been doing some research and have some previous posts (thanks to all who answered them). I know the k-x right now has some pretty good deals, but I can't decide if I am going to miss some of the lacking features, also I heard about some ghost or blurring effect, can anyone comment on this?
The k-r seems like an upgrade, do you think it will replace the kx or coexist with it? It has about the same price with the two lens kit as 55-300mm and 18-55mm as the T2i with the 18-55 and 55-250mm. So I am not sure which way to go.
I would be using the camera mostly to take pictures of my kids, and family, school events, kids sports events and plays, probably some travel shots.
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:38 PM   #2

I have the Pentax K-x and am quite happy with it. However, if I could afford it now, I would probably get he K-r or the T2i. I think they focus a little faster. I like sports photography and so it would benefit me to have the K-r's faster burst mode. The other thing that you hear from some people is that Canon has a lot more lenses available for future upgrades.
However, any of these cameras will probably make you happy.
Good luck in choosing!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:50 PM   #3

if video were important, or if there was a chance i'd want to get more info photography later, i'd go with the canon. otherwise i'd probably go with the two lens k-x kit if i were starting out now. and no, i don't think the k-r will replace the k-x as the way i understand it the k-x is pentax's entry level dslr and the k-r is their mid-level dslr.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:06 AM   #4

The Pentax Kx is clearly the better buy and up to the job.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:06 PM   #5

thank you all, for your quick responses. Do you think I should also add to the list the nikon d3100? Anyone here has experience with it,(being fairly new)?
marubex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:32 PM   #6

Hi and welcome I can only say that I have the T2i/550d and I am very pleased with it. I added a 50 1.8 and the 550-250is plus the kit lens. Really nice setup
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:35 PM   #7

I should have added that its best to go and try them if they feel good in your hand then its easier to use
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:55 PM   #8

I think the D3100 is a very nice upgrade to the D3000. I was looking at it and snapping some shots in a camera store last week. However, I think both the K-x or the T2i give you more bang for the buck, especially with some of the bundled lens deals now being offered.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:17 PM   #9

When you consider that Amazon has the KX two lens kit with the Pentax 55-300mm lens at $635 right now. That is surely the biggest bang for the buck.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:56 PM   #10

Some very well intentioned advice here. But too much of it is generic without thought to your specific case. You mention family, kids sports and plays. Let's take sports: what specific sports? If you're talking gymnastics, then no kit lens with any dslr is going to allow you to take those photos. School plays? Very unlikely you'll be satisfied with the results from a kit lens. You'll likely need a more advanced lens and/or external flash (flash usually being frowned upon for plays, but OK for graduations and such).
An external flash will be necessary for quality results inside for family parties and such - the built-in flash in any camera is very limiting.
So, I think you may get the wrong idea that buying a dslr with 2 kit lenses is going to allow you to meet all your objectives.

If you provide more specifics about the school events (including guess as to distances involved) and the sports, we can give you a better idea of where kit lenses will fall short so you're not surprised when you plunk down all that cash and the gear doesn't meet your expectations.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote