Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:41 PM   #1

Default Best M4/3 camera?

My sister is looking to replace her P&S with something capable of better image quality and her first thought was dslr as thats what shes seen me ging about with but i did some questioning of her and from what she said makes me think that a M4/3 camera would be a better choice

shes not bothered if it has a optical viewfinder or not as she expects to take most of her shots from liveview

she wants very fast and reponsive autofocus as she takes ALOT of photos of her rather excitable and hyperactive dog (often indoors)

she doesn't want it to big or heavy

she does want great image quality and good low light performance

in terms of lenses she was happy enough with the 10x zoom (no idea the equivalent 35mm sorry) but probably wouldn't want to be changing lenses all that often (not sure here - superzoom would be obvious choice but not used one so no idea if they are worth it in terms of image quality) so think a 2 lens kit might work best

and of course she has about 600 to spend

apart from her dog its jsut the usual mix of holiday snaps or trips to zoo's etc

are M3/4 there yet or should she go looking for a entry level dslr?
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:51 PM   #2
Super Moderator

if she wants the fastest autofocus, especially in indoor light, i think she would be better off with an entry-level dslr. image quality from the m4/3 is up to par with entry dslr, but the contrast AF is not as good as the phase detect AF, especially with moving subjects in low light.

Since you already shoot Pentax, I think the KX would be a great choice. with the kit and the 55-300 to start with. not sure how that is budget wise in euros.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:03 PM   #3

shame the autofocus isn't upto par since shes gonna want to shoot through the lcd screen mostly - i did think of the kx as an option but kidna ruled it out due to the smaller lower res lcd but she did like the idea of getting a pink camera :/ as for borrowing my lenses no chance!!! - i'd never see them again but yeah the twin lens kit k-x would be in budget - i would suggested the k-r but think that will jsut be abit to much for her (besides with faster fps and better high iso performace it would force me to buy the k-5 to have the better camera hehe and i dont want to spend that much money right now)

back to the autofocus of the m4/3 systems though are they better than those on p&s cameras or pretty similar?
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:09 PM   #4

The best low light m4/3 camera in the budget will shoot well upto 1600iso. With IQ equaling a dslr.

The AF systems are a big improvement over a point and shoot, but like Hards' said a dslr is really better for action.

But to answer your question, the best one with good low light performance in the budget is the olympus epl-1. And if she wants a long zoom, add the panasonic 45-200mm give her reach with the kit lens from 28mm to 400mm. And for low speed action it will do a okay job in good lighting.

PS, the oly is a small camera compare to a dslr.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 20, 2010 at 8:12 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:16 PM   #5

the panasonic and olympus lenses are compatible?
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:19 PM   #6

yes they are complete compatiblely with m4/3 lens. And the oly can use all 4/3 lenses form sigma and olympus and panasonic with the 4/3 adapter. Some panny's can not use all 4/3 lenses even with the adapter.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:19 PM   #7
Super Moderator

yes, the are both in the m4/3 consortium, so lenses are cross compatible.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:26 PM   #8

ah thought m4/3 was about sensor size - didn't realise they all shared lens mount - hmmm wouldn't be nice if all dslrs used the same lens mount..... anyway epl-1 worth a look certainly has the appearance of a compact which i think wil appeal to her since she always thought my k-7 looked big (lol one of the smallest dslr's)

anyway shall look it up and present it to her see what she makes of it
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Oct 20, 2010, 8:35 PM   #9

it uses a 4/3 sensor, but also have a mount agreement, with the m4/3 mounts and AF systems and metering compatibility.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:01 PM   #10

John... if your sister likes the Olympus E-PL1, the standard kit lens is a nifty, collapsable 14-42mm (28-84mm in full-frame terms) f/3.5-5.6 lens. Oly makes a 17mm f/2.8 lens that isn't bad... but the lens to get if she wants a bump in performance for moderate and low light is Panasonic's 20mm f/1.7 pancake micro four-thirds lens. But if she plans on using flash for indoor work anyway, perhaps she won't need it.

If she'd rather have a superzoom, this Luminous Landscape piece from last week might be useful:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...shootout.shtml
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote