Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:58 AM   #1

Default Opinions please

Hi All Ė
Iím new here and have joined and have joined in hopes of getting some advise. Iím interested in purchasing basically a point and shoot camera. I am the grandmother 2 grandsons (so far) ages 6 and 1, and the owner of a Yorkie and a Biewer. They are the major subjects in my photos. I originally thought I wanted a camcorder that also took still pictures, and then came to my senses and realized I take more still pictures and was going about this backwards. However a decent video is important to me.

So I have decided to upgrade my 7.1 megapixel Cannon. I really would like to stay around the $250 mark Ė but will not rule out $300 if it would be that much better a purchase. The cameras Iíve been considering are (in no order).

Cannon Powershot SX20IS
Cannon Powershot SX130IS
Kodak EasyShare Z921
Fujifilm Fine Pix S1800

Any and all suggestions are very welcome as I am totally lost. I tend to over-analyze things and when all is said and done Iím more confused than when I started.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Damsweet0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:12 AM   #2

Damsweet-

Welcome to the Forum We're pleased that you dropped by.

Looking at your camera list, I would say that the Canon SX-130 is the best of the lot based on your preferences. Keep in mind though that it is powered by 2 AA cells. Therefore shot to shot times, when using the camera's built-in flash unit may be as long as 6 to 7 seconds.

If you do not need HD video the Kodak Z-915 is another very good option that does standard video that will also save you some money as well, as it sells for around $100. It too is powered by 2 AA cells.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:19 AM   #3

Thanks Sarah - Is there another camera that you would recommend that is not on my list. I hear and read so many different things. Like I should get one with a view-finder, I should get one that has an external flash as well as an internal....oh the list goes on and on and I get more and more confused.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damsweet0720 View Post
Hi All Ė
Iím new here and have joined and have joined in hopes of getting some advise. Iím interested in purchasing basically a point and shoot camera. I am the grandmother 2 grandsons (so far) ages 6 and 1, and the owner of a Yorkie and a Biewer. They are the major subjects in my photos. I originally thought I wanted a camcorder that also took still pictures, and then came to my senses and realized I take more still pictures and was going about this backwards. However a decent video is important to me.

So I have decided to upgrade my 7.1 megapixel Cannon. I really would like to stay around the $250 mark Ė but will not rule out $300 if it would be that much better a purchase. The cameras Iíve been considering are (in no order).

Cannon Powershot SX20IS
Cannon Powershot SX130IS
Kodak EasyShare Z921 - should read Kodak EasyShare Z981
Fujifilm Fine Pix S1800

Any and all suggestions are very welcome as I am totally lost. I tend to over-analyze things and when all is said and done Iím more confused than when I started.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Kodak Easyshare Z981 not Z921
Old Oct 21, 2010, 3:51 PM   #5

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Used FZ35 less than 100 clicks...great family camera...great video...zoo...park...indoors...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Used FZ35 less than 100 clicks...great family camera...great video...zoo...park...indoors...
For an additional $24 I can get a new FZ40. Is that any better?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:09 PM   #7

Damsweet-

The Panasonic FZ-40 would be a very good choice. However, while it does have an EVF or an Electronic View Finder, it does not have an external flash, although you could use an accessory Slave Flash.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:34 PM   #8

Thanks Sarah - without taking up too much of your time would you tell me briefly what you disiked about the Kodak Z981, the Canon SX20IS, and the Fujifilm S1800? I'm just trying to learn what I should be looking for. Thanks for all your help -
Donna
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damsweet0720 View Post
Thanks Sarah - without taking up too much of your time would you tell me briefly what you disiked about the Kodak Z981, the Canon SX20IS, and the Fujifilm S1800? I'm just trying to learn what I should be looking for. Thanks for all your help -
Donna
It's not that they are bad cameras...it's just the FZ 35 or FZ40 are so much better in terms of good family cameras...I don't quite understand what Sarah is saying about the flash on the FZ40? Mine has a quite decent on camera flash just like the FZ35 does...

These FZ series work quite well indoors also up to ISO800 and I have seen several very decent ISO1600 shots taken with them...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote