Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:58 PM   #1

Default Free Lenses for T1i

I was given a free set of lenses and camera recently. The camera is a Canon EOS Elan that dates to the 1990s. It came with the following autofocus lenses:

Canon Ultrasonic 35-105mm 1:4.5-5.6 EF Zoom

Canon 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 EF zoom

Quantaray 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 zoom with macro

Phoenix 28-210mm 1: 3.5-5.6 zoom

Canon 50mm 1:1.8 EF

Quantary 2x teleconverter

I have been shopping for a DSLR and was considering a Canon T1i. This acquisition has most likely finalized my decision to go with the T1i rather than a Pentax K-x or Nikon D5000. The one lens of this collection that seems like a definite keeper is the 50mm f1.8. The other lenses are questionable. Are any of the other lenses worth using with the T1i. At this point Canon has a instant rebate on the camera, the 18-55mm IS lens, and the 55-250mm IS lens which I am seriously considering. Thanks for the advice.
NGC2392Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:57 PM   #2

the 35-105 would be a good walk around lens, There are better, but it will work if you do not want to invest is something longer right away.

The 75-300 is a poor lens, but still a upgrade to a point and shoot, not worth keeping.

The quantaray is a mf lens, so it will be quite hard to use for anything but macro. The 2x tc not worth it unless you plan on staying with the mf lens.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:18 AM   #3

I wouldn't consider having these lenses as an incentive to go with a Canon dSLR instead of another brand. But if I had already decided on a Canon, these lenses would be nice to play with.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 3:58 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The Canon kit lenses you are considering are much better than the lenses you have been given.

The 50 f1.8 is certainly worth keeping.

So not a compelling reason to go with Canon, though the T1i is a fine camera.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The Canon kit lenses you are considering are much better than the lenses you have been given.

The 50 f1.8 is certainly worth keeping.

So not a compelling reason to go with Canon, though the T1i is a fine camera.

Thanks to all for the advice. The old lenses actually made me reconsider the Canon. Before the lenses my top choice was a Pentax K-x. I still have the Pentax K1000 I learned with. Right now I use a Canon S3IS as my primary camera and I would like to step up to a DSLR. I am familiar with Canons since I also have a A1000IS point and shot as well. The T1i with kit lenses is currently on sale until the end of November.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:16 AM   #6

If you're going to buy a Canon dSLR anyway, the free lenses are a nice benefit, but I wouldn't buy a Canon just because I had those lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
If you're going to buy a Canon dSLR anyway, the free lenses are a nice benefit, but I wouldn't buy a Canon just because I had those lenses.
Thanks. Your point is well taken. After researching my camera choices I am still unsure of which camera to purchase. My top three choices are the Pentax K-x, Canon T1i, and Nikon D5000. In the end I'm sure any of them will be fine for my current needs. I would like a camera to expand with for future use though.

I was able to physically inspect the Nikon and T1i at a local Best Buy. Unfortunately there are no local vendors that have the Pentax available to inspect. The Pentax seems to be the best buy overall however the other cameras are well within my budget of $1000. The Canon is currently on sale. The T1i along with the 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS lenses can be had for less than $900 in some places. That package is going for $850 at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

The D5000 is going for a bit over $700 with the 18-55mm VR & 55-200mm lenses at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...LR_Camera.html

The Canon sale goes to until the end of November and the Nikon sale goes until the end of this month.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 4:46 PM   #8

Check Amazon- it has $200 off the 55-250 when you buy the camera with 18-55 lens.
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote