Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:11 PM   #91

You are paying allot more for .5 fps over the k-x. And you are getting only 1 lens for more money. If you want to shoot action and do not want to exploded your budget. The pentax k-x option and the nikon d5000 option with the lens setup you had decided on are really good options. I just think the pentax with the add reach of the 55-300 gives you more versatility. The shots I took were all at 300mm, my brother took the same shots, and were almost as close to the canon in size of the subject. Canon with the 1.6 crop oppose to the pentax at 1.5 crop has 30mm more of reach. If you have 2 200mm lens. You would not get as good of a result if you crop in, as you will have to crop in 33%, and you will loose allot of detail and the photo resolution will start to fall apart after 20% crop.

Your kits are both excellent, and will cover a ton of different types of shooting.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:13 PM   #92

Well, here's a thread that just was posted a few days ago (I am suprised that shoturtle didnt link to it).
forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr/178915-safe-buy-sony-a55.html
You should read through it, especially what JimC said;
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You're not limited to 3fps when shooting action. I see that kind of thing posted often.

I've seen comments from respected reviewers that have used the camera that will tell you that with a bit of practice, the system can work well for capturing action.

Just because you see a stream of photos already taken in the LCD with a small delay in 10fps drive mode, doesn't mean it can't work if you practice your technique using this system some.

There are very few interchangeable lens cameras on the market capable of that kind of frame rate. One is the Nikon D3s (with a body only price of around $5000 at authorized dealers), and the other is the Canon EOS-1D Mk IV (with a body only price of almost $5000).

The Sony A55 is selling for $799 body only. Big difference.

So, sure, it may not be able to maintain the performance you'd get with a camera costing 6 times as much, and some reviewers have noted a much higher "hit rate" using it's 6fps drive mode. But, for it's price point, if you need a camera capable of faster frame rates for shooting action, you could learn to get used to it's EVF behavior if you're on a budget, as nothing else in it's price range is going to match it. ;-)

Even some Pentax fans (since I see you promoting the K-x pretty often here) will admit that it's quite capable. For example, here's a Pentax enthusiast mentioning this about it compared to the K7 (Sony had a half pipe with bikes setup to show how well the newer models work at Photokina):

"..In the end, the number of usable photos per half pipe turn may have been twice in Sony's advantage..."

http://www.falklumo.com/en/k5preview.html

There are pros and cons to any approach. But, for action, nothing in it's price range (body list price of $799) comes close to what it's capable of.
But I think the best way to decide is to try it out, either at the store, or with Amazons easy return policy. Personally I think this camera could work for you. You won't really be able to use live view with the 70-200mm though (weight wise), so make sure you are comfortable with the VF.

Since this camera hasnt been out in the wild very much, I think it'll be a while till we know if this is groundbreaking or not. And I would say the only real opinion you will need is yourself. No one here has used it, so we can't really tell you how good it is, we're just going on hearsay. So take all with a grain of salt. Obviously the EVF isn't as good as a $$$ DSLR, but it is a compromise. You get some sweet features for it that no one else has for the $$.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:18 PM   #93

why do you not link the thread itself. I responded to jimc's post

Like I said multiple times in that thread. Good luck if you can get the action shoot with a EVF camera.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:32 PM   #94

shoturtle (or anyone else), would you mind clarifying something for me?

-using a sony a55, if i hold the shutter down for just 1 second i would take 10 pictures. During that one second, the lcd goes black (if using live view) does the viewfinder also go black (if i use that instead)?

-After that 1 second of shutter pressing, how long does the camera take to refresh itself before I can take another photo?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:37 PM   #95

everything goes black. Then afterward, you will need to wait about 12 second for all the data to be written onto the card. It may be faster for the A55, but that is the way with the sony hx5v. The camera needs to transfer all the data to the card after the 10fps burst.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:39 PM   #96

thanks.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:26 AM   #97

Ok, so i just pulled the trigger on the Sony a55 w/ the 18-55 kit lens.

I am just way to curious about this camera, and there just isn't enough info to back up either side's argument. So, I'll try it out for a bit and if I don't like it i'll send it right back and purchase the pentax k-x instead. I should have it between 10/28/10 and 11/2/10
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:11 AM   #98

well congrats overall it is a very nice camera. Think you will take some nice photos with and and do post some when you have a chance.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:19 AM   #99
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
shoturtle (or anyone else), would you mind clarifying something for me?

-using a sony a55, if i hold the shutter down for just 1 second i would take 10 pictures. During that one second, the lcd goes black (if using live view) does the viewfinder also go black (if i use that instead)?
No, it doesn't go black. The A55 is designed to give you a fast "slide show" of images just taken (approximately 1/10 second behind real time) while shooting in 6 or 10fps modes. That delay from real time is what can make it harder to track action with an EVF based system like this one, since you'd be trying to anticipate where the action will be while following the subject, based on the last photo taken. But, I've seen reviewers comment that they got much better at it after a few hours of practice. Of course, it's not going to be as good as a [>$4000] pro level camera with that frame rate available using an optical viewfinder for sports shooting. But, for a camera in it's price range, it's design is quite interesting.

In your price range, I'd probably be more inclined to look at the new A580 instead (a traditional dSLR design with an Optical Viewfinder and much better battery life) if the primary purpose is lots of sports shooting. It should hit store shelves next month. But, the A55 does have some pretty slick features, thanks to it's unique design, that you don't get with a traditional dSLR design (for example, faster phase detect Autofocus while shooting video), as well as very fast frame rates for a model in it's price range (or compared to any dSLR model under $4000 for that matter).

BTW, if you look through this blog, you'll find someone that's been playing with the A55 for sports. I think some of the top section photos were with the A500. But, if you scroll down through the page, you'll see some photos taken with the A55, too (Soccer, Basketball, with a Football game at the bottom of the page).

http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/

Quote:
After that 1 second of shutter pressing, how long does the camera take to refresh itself before I can take another photo?
Buffer flush time is going to depend on the speed of the memory card. With the Sony models like that one, if you plan on shooting a lot of bursts, I'd suggest using a Memory Stick Pro HG Duo card (with the HG being the most important part). Make sure the card you buy is marked as 30MB/Second on the card (as in some of the newer Sony Memory Stick Pro HG Duo HX cards, or the Sandisk 30/MB Second Memory Stick Pro HG Duo cards.

These are *much* faster than the fastest SDHC cards out now (for example, compared to a Sandisk Class 10 Extreme 30MB/Second SDHC Card, which some reviewers use to time cameras), and I haven't seen flush times from from a MS Pro HG Duo in that camera yet.

See our Sony A550 review conclusion for a discussion of the differences in speed with that model (comparing a Sandisk Extreme 30MB/Second Class 10 SDHC card with a Sandisk Extreme III 30MB/Second MS Pro HG Duo Card). There's no contest, as the Memory Stick Pro HG Duo is much faster in a Sony (even though they're both marked as 30MB/Second card), allowing more photos in a row (since it's writing at the same time you're shooting, the buffer won't fill up as fast), and much faster flush times. But, make *sure* it's a Pro HG Duo card (as the non-HG cards are very slow in comparison). You see the same thing in card reader tests comparing these two card types. The Sandisk Class 10 30MB/Second SDHC cards tend to "max out" at well under 30MB/Second write times (closer to 24MB/second writing to FAT32 formatted media), whereas the Sandisk 30MB/Second Pro HG Duo cards are faster than rated (34MB/Second+ write times in a fast card reader with support for 8 bit parallel transfer modes the HG series cards give you).

I've seen reports from reputable reviewers that the A55 takes 18 seconds to flush a full buffer of 32 jpeg images (several seconds of shooting at 10fps, versus the 1 second burst you asked about) with a Sandisk Extreme III. dpreview.com said recovery time was much longer. However based on other tests I've seen from both users and reviewers, I can only conclude that something was wrong with their camera or card (or the card they used had some kind of compatibility issue, or some kind of camera setting was causing a problem).

I suspect we'll find that with a 30MB/Second MS Pro HG Duo, times will be much faster, based on times I've seen with other newer Sony models like the NEX-5 (something I haven't seen tested yet in the A55), and you'd be able to shoot more photos before you hit a full buffer. That's because the camera is writing to the card at the same time you're shooting. Also, with the newer Sony models I've tested, you can still shoot while it's flushing to the card. You just won't get a full length, full speed burst again unless the buffer has finished flushing. So, I suspect we'll find the same thing with the A55.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:48 AM   #100

Yea, tell us how it goes. I am curious how they pulled off the EVF and 10fps, and it may be a while till Best Buy gets it.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote