Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:59 AM   #101

From Questions about the SLTs Answered:
Quote:
From what I understand the a55 can't maintain live view in 10 fps mode but what about the EVF then, can you still track whatever you shoot through the EVF?
To support the a55’s 10fps continuous shooting, we rely on a rapid display of the most recently captured image rather than trying to create a Live preview. Some have suggested that this limits the ability to track fast action, but it actually works very well and makes a lot of sense. As for Live View operation, It would be very difficult to change the Image Sensor from capture to Live View display at 10 times/sec with current devices. If we consider optical preview, the handful of pro-level DSLRs that can reach 10fps have to cope with mirror black-out – the time during which the scene view is interrupted by the moving mirror and image capture. Even the shortest black-out time significantly reduces the view of the scene, so we think rapid display of captured images is a novel and quite workable solution.
So, in essence, when you're trying to frame the next shot, the EVF shows you the last one.

Last edited by TCav; Oct 25, 2010 at 9:02 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:13 AM   #102

Ah, yes, I forgot about that thread.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:18 PM   #103

I was reading yesterday about the "depth of focus button". The Sony a55 has it, the pentax k-x doesn't, and I'm not sure about the nikon d5000. How important is that button and does it really help when trying to figure out the DOF before you take the photo? What does the LCD/viewfinder look like without that button?
I read about the "green programable button" on the penax k-x and how you can use that as a substitute for the DOF button. How does that compare?
Thanks.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:27 PM   #104
Administrator

I'm sure others will disagree. But, in my opinion, that's probably the least important feature to look for in a camera, as today's viewfinders are not good enough to distinguish finer differences in depth of field anyway.

IOW, I'd look at it as a "me too" feature that buyers sometimes look at in features lists, that doesn't have much practical importance in real world shooting.

I own multiple camera models that have it. Yet, I can't recall the last time I've used it. ;-)

When comparing features, pay attention to the ones you're more likely to use, versus the ones you'll probably never use that won't make any difference in real world use anyway. ;-)

The K-x is a very good camera for it's price, and it seems to make the most out of a Sony 12MP CMOS sensor, as compared to some models in it's class using the same Sony sensor design (Sony A500, Nikon D90, Nikon D5000, Nikon D300, etc., which all use a Sony 12MP CMOS Sensor)

But, I would not discount it just because it doesn't have DOF preview (a feature that wouldn't make any difference to me when comparing camera models). Now, having said that, I'd never buy that Pentax model, since I like to know what I'm focusing on (and that particular model does not display the active focus point(s) in it's viewfinder - which is a feature that I use often and would not want to get by without). If I wanted to go with a Pentax dSLR, I'd go with the newer K-r instead, as the K-x models' inability to display the the active focus point(s) would be very frustrating to me, compared to the dSLR models I'm accustomed to that have that feature. Of course, it boils down to what you're used to in a camera. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:36 PM   #105

I agree with jim the dof button is nice, my canon has it, but I hardly ever use it with digital. More important to save a shot with film.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:45 PM   #106

I ocassionally use the DoF Preview buttons on the cameras I've used, and while it's not something I use often, when I need it, there is no substitute. The problem, however, is that the EVF on the A55 really doesn't have sufficient resolution to make the DoF Preview very useful.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:51 PM   #107

That would be a major problem if you are trying to frame a fast moving bird or something along that line. That 1/10 of a sec delay, that bird would be completely out of your frame by the time you correct for that change in the frame. You are always trying to catch up. That was something I read on a birder shooting trying to use the A55.

But now if the subject is confine like all the good action shots I seen form the sony, the dancing. Where the subject just moves allot in the same area. That 10fps would be useful. But for panning and tracking the A55 would be a really hard sell to a high action shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
From Questions about the SLTs Answered:

So, in essence, when you're trying to frame the next shot, the EVF shows you the last one.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:51 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
...that particular model does not display the active focus point(s) in it's viewfinder ...
The k-x does not show where it is focusing? Wow, if so I could never use that camera. I use the focus selection on my Sony every time I shoot. This seems strange, since the focus point is so much more critical on a DSLR. It seems like it would make it hard to move to that from a p&s as well. That is disappointing.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen

Last edited by mrpete; Oct 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: quoting error
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:55 PM   #109
Administrator

FWIW, I'd also consider things like buffer depth when comparing models, if sports type shooting is important.

Pentax has usually lagged way behind in that area (photos in a row before the internal faster buffer memory is full, write speeds to memory cards, etc.)

The K-x is better in that area than most earlier Pentax models. But, it still lags behind many of the Nikon, Canon, and Sony models in it's price bracket.

For example, when shooting raw (which is the way I shoot more often), you only get approx. 5 photos before it's internal buffer fills up and the camera slows down).

In contrast, you'll get several times the number of photos shooting raw with a Sony A55 (or most other Sony models) before you see a decrease in frame rate. Ditto for most dSLR type cameras from other manufacturers (they're going to do much better in that area compared to the Pentax K-x).

So, for action shooting, as much as I like the way the Pentax entry models handle getting the most out of the Sony sensor they use in the area of noise, they're just too lacking in other areas for me (personally) to consider using one (buffer depth, active AF point display, etc.). Again, I'm sure others will disagree, and your perception of the differences would probably depend on what you're used to in a camera.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:58 PM   #110

For action shooting you pick a point, so not having the AF led is not that important. When I do shoot action with the k-x, I either use the side point or center point. And there are point makers in the ovf. So if you know pick the one you are using, you know exactly where it is shooting.

Now if you leave the system on auto, you get option, 5 close in point, or all 11 point. I am not a fan of auto points, especially in a clutter scene. You really increase the the chance of a miss focus. the 5 in close up points gives you a more usable auto AF, as there is less chances you focus on the wrong subject when there is more happening in the shot.

So the bottom line is I use a camera that show AF point with LED normally. But because I choose to control my shots. And use manual selected point. The conversion back and forth is not a problem.