Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:27 PM   #121

To really put it in perspective, you do not include the price of the telephoto package deal. It is nice, and would save you money, but you are not actually comparing the two cameras Basically you are saying Pentax has a cheap nice telephoto if you buy it in a bundle, not that the Kx is cheaper than the a500. You are still compapring the same class of camera.

Oh, and the Tamron is a great lens for the price. Although the Pentax is sharper 200-300mm, the tammy stil can be sharp 200-300mm, although is often soft. Plus the macro feature is a killer, since it is about as cheap as you can get that sort of close up ability. And even though you can get that macro thing to compensate, you could get a 50mm 1.7 for the same price, or it just nears the price of the sony 70-300mm. Oh, and you can get the Tamron for $50-100 which makes it very very good value, and is more than enough for someone starting out.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:31 PM   #122

the tamron 70-300 di ld is not a great lens, it is the best of the low end zooms. I have shot that lens, and it is soft from 200-300. That is why it is a 160 dollar lens.

The mid end zooms are 450-500 dollars with the sigma 70-300 OS.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:36 PM   #123
Administrator

But, there are lots of nice AF lenses on the used market with better performance (e.g., the Minolta 100-300mm APO AF lenses, etc.) at great prices.

There are pros and cons to any solution. Personally, I'd view the lack of feedback the Pentax gives you on things like AF point in the viewfinder as "show stopper" if I were buying a camera for action shooting. But, "to each, their own"

I've got to "hit the road" now (shutting down my PCs and packing for a trip). So, I'll catch up with this thread later.

My advise to the OP... try any model you want to use in a store first. There are pros and cons to any of them (there is no perfect camera). ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:37 PM   #124

Jim,

I complete agree with you there is no prefect camera, we can carry on the debate later
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:41 PM   #125

These are the new lenses I would consider over the di li with better sharpness for a 300mm lens. These would be a more even match to the pentax DA 55-300mm lens on the long end.

Not yet release
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-300m.../dp/B003YH9DZO

And 400 dollar for from sigma
http://www.adorama.com/SG70300OSMAX....utm_term=Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
To really put it in perspective, you do not include the price of the telephoto package deal. It is nice, and would save you money, but you are not actually comparing the two cameras Basically you are saying Pentax has a cheap nice telephoto if you buy it in a bundle, not that the Kx is cheaper than the a500. You are still compapring the same class of camera.

Oh, and the Tamron is a great lens for the price. Although the Pentax is sharper 200-300mm, the tammy stil can be sharp 200-300mm, although is often soft. Plus the macro feature is a killer, since it is about as cheap as you can get that sort of close up ability. And even though you can get that macro thing to compensate, you could get a 50mm 1.7 for the same price, or it just nears the price of the sony 70-300mm. Oh, and you can get the Tamron for $50-100 which makes it very very good value, and is more than enough for someone starting out.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:57 PM   #126

I have crossed the sony a55 (most likely) off my list even though it is currently being shipped to me to arrive this coming saturday. I really do want to try it out and see if the features can overcome the fact that it is more expensive and would result in buying one less lens for it.

I have crossed the sony a550 and a500 off my list for a variety of small reasons that overall really added up.

I have crossed the sony a580 off my list due to the high price and lack of features I am looking for.

I have crossed the Nikon d5000 off my list as well.

Currently I am considering the Pentax K-x and the Pentax K-r.
(and kind of the sony a55. )

The K-x is $670 for the body, an 18-55, and a 55-300.
The K-r is $1000 for the body, an 18-55, and a 55-300.

Reasons that i would buy the k-r over the k-x:
-7fps instead of 5 instead of 4.7
-has active focus points
-bigger and much nicer LCD

but is it worth the extra $330 for that? I honestly dont know.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:02 PM   #127

K-r has a better AF system and will do a better job for action with the sigma 70-200
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:06 PM   #128

i was just about to write that one too, i just saw the difference in AF between the K-r and the K-x on youtube. The difference was huge! K-r is WAY faster.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:10 PM   #129

Yup,

This is what the k-x can do, but I am sure the K-r will do better. And the 55-300 is a slower lens then the 70-200 sig

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...-sea-gull.html
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:24 PM   #130

with what you want to do, the k-x af is ok, but the k-r's af will be worth it, and the higher fps does help out. Just make sure you get a class 10 card.