Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:32 PM   #141

eek. Maybe i should ask this question: How is the macro shooting without a macro lens? for example, shooting macro with the kit 18-55? I think you had posted some pics of a watch you took photos of comparing that? i cant seem to find it though.

UPDATE: Ok, i found your thread of the watch macro. great example there. I am think now i am going to get the 55-300 after all with the canon 500D...

Last edited by ewheeler20; Oct 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:09 PM   #142

For almost 1:1 you are going to be about 12-18 inches away. If you want to get upclose and personal at almost 1:1.15 you will be at 12 inches from your subject. If you do not need as much mag, shorten the lens and work at 18 inches.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:16 PM   #143

it will be refreshing see as how with my current canon sx20, I have to be within 2" of the subject... that really sucks!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:24 PM   #144

yeah, I have a short macro lens for my epl-1 a 35mm, and I need to be within 4-6 inches. My 100mm for my canon I have about 12 inches to work with. So with the pentax 12-18 is nice to work with.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:26 PM   #145

If you want to get really close a tripod is really helpful when you get really close to 1:1. The pen and what shots are all tripod shots.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:22 PM   #146

I was just looking for lens's on craigslist. I have found a few sigma 70-200 f/2.8, but with the wrong brand of mount. (mostly found nikon and canon mounts). Is there a way to change the mount to a pentax? Some poeple are selling their barely used $800 lens for about $500...

Unrelated question:
I am looking for a wireless remote for the pentax k-r, but i cant find one. I found one for the k-x, and k-7, but it doesnt say its for the k-r.

Last edited by ewheeler20; Oct 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 2:57 PM   #147

Well, if you can find deals like that that is a significant reason to buy a canon mount camera instead. It's the same reason the 55-300mm is a good reason to buy the Pentax Kx. (I wouldn't go with nikon unless you can get the d90 or d7000)

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:25 PM   #148

Sorry for asking so many questions in so many different posts all strung out.. ( i seem to have more and more questions as i do more and more research, hmm)

but.. i have another question:

Looking at the Sigma 70-200 f2.8, There is an option for EX or no EX... (amazon sells it for 800 with no EX, and B&H sells it for 800 with EX.)

Apparently, sigma has two different finishes. One is the shiny black smooth finish and the other is a dull black/dark gray rougher finish.
I guess Sigma recently (within the past 2 months) changed their finish. I am confused. Which finish is the EX?

What i want is the smooth black shiny finish, NOT the dull gray-ish finish.

Can anyone decipher this? (or even understand my question)?

Thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:08 PM   #149

You will need to find a pentax mount, can not mix and match if you want to be able control aperture and have it auto focus. Sometimes you get lucky on ebay with pentax lenses.

Ebay for remotes, if you are looking for them. Look on the pentax website and see shat the model number is for the IR remote for the K-r. If it is the same as the k-x or the k-7. It will be easy to find on ebay. It looks like all pentax will use the same IR remote

http://www.pentaximaging.com/accesso...ote_Control_F/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
I was just looking for lens's on craigslist. I have found a few sigma 70-200 f/2.8, but with the wrong brand of mount. (mostly found nikon and canon mounts). Is there a way to change the mount to a pentax? Some poeple are selling their barely used $800 lens for about $500...

Unrelated question:
I am looking for a wireless remote for the pentax k-r, but i cant find one. I found one for the k-x, and k-7, but it doesnt say its for the k-r.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:13 PM   #150

By the way, most adaptors are not worth it. Either they degrade image quality, you loose infinity-focus, and/or you loose much fuctionality. So you have to pick your brand and stick to it pretty much.
I think saving $300 makes Canon a win. It is a great brand.

I dunno about the ex in 70-200mm, so I'll let someone else comment on it.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote