Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:22 AM   #31

I would personally go with the sigma 50-150 and keep the 55-300 for the outdoors stuff

The dal 55-300 do not fetch, it is not the DA 55-300. There are a kit version and a buy later version. There are more bells and whistle on the DA 55-300 the the kit DAL 55-300. So you may be lucky if you can get 100 bucks for it, as it is a 160 more then the single lens kit.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:25 AM   #32

good point with the 55-300 for outdoor use. maybe ill keep that, and go with the 50-150.

Wow.. i need to go to bed, sleep on this for a bit.. i appear to be spending more by the minute here..

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:26 AM   #33

the 50-150 is a sharp lens then the 70-200

Actually if you are closer in the stand, you can cover a whole basketball court with the 50-150
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:06 AM   #34
Administrator

Eric:

How are you planning to use Live View?

I'm surprised nobody has pointed this out yet, given the importance you seem to be placing on the availability of Live View. But, the Live View mode in most dSLR models is not really suitable for moving subjects. Keep in mind that dSLR models are designed to use a dedicated AF sensor assembly to achieve fast Autofocus (which a mirror would block when in Live View mode using their main imaging sensor to project the live view image to the LCD).

If Live View is important to you, the Sony dSLR models are going to focus *much* faster than other dSLR models when using live view. That's because their design makes use of a separate live view sensor in the viewfinder housing (when using live view, this sensor sees the same image that would have been projected to the optical viewfinder), allowing the use of their dedicated 9 point AF sensor assembly for fast Phase Detect Autofocus while in Live View mode. IOW, they can focus just as fast in Live View mode as they do when using the optical viewfinder.

Other dSLR models with Live View are going to use much slower contrast detect Autofocus via the image seen by the main imaging sensor, or will need to flip the mirror back in front of the main sensor (blocking the live view feed while Autofocusing) to use their dedicated Phase Detect AF sensors.

I'd make sure to try out any models you consider in a store if you think you'll want Live View.

If you plan on using Live View for moving (versus stationary subjects), I'd suggest looking at the Sony A500. You'll see a link to a cutout on it's product page explaining how it's Fast Autofocus Live View system works (by use of a mirror that redirects the image normally seen through the optical viewfinder to a dedicated Live View sensor). That way, they have fast Phase Detect Autofocus without interrupting the live view feed.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665970151

You can find this camera including the kit lens for $539.99 at B&H right now (or you can get the body only for $469.95).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_12_3_MP.html

But note that this Sony model does not record video if that's important to you.

If you don't mind using the Optical Viewfinder, then the other models you're looking at would be fine for most purposes (and you may end up preferring an optical viewfinder anyway, due to increased size/weight you'll have with a dSLR).

But, if you want to use Live View for moving subjects, I'd suggest taking a look at the Sony dSLR offerings if you want usable focus speeds.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:51 AM   #35

thanks for the info.
the times in which i'd be using live view is when i would use it for P&S purposes every so often. For example, when i go on vacation, and i (or the waiter at a restaurant) want to take a quick group shot of the family.

If i am shooting sports, or landscape, or possible handheld macro, I would probably use the viewfinder.

To be honest, i almost always use the LCD screen on my canon sx20 P&S. and until recently i didnt even know about the issues with using lcd in live view on DSLR's. So I am a bit afraid of using the viewfinder most of the time, solely due to the fact that i am just not used to it. So if someone could assure me that I will eventually get used to using the viewfinder more, I wouldn't be so worried about it, lol.

the concerning fact for me about the sony, is the lack of lens options

Last edited by ewheeler20; Oct 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:09 PM   #36

Just checked my 550d /T2i and live view works in auto P and av and tv and creative mode
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:14 PM   #37

just so i can get a frame of reference, how long of a time does it take to auto-focus in live view mode (in the nikon d5000, and the pentax k-x and the sony a500)?
so, in live view, I press the shutter half way down, does it take .5 seconds? 3 seconds?
I just dont know how slow is slow when it comes to that stuff.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:22 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
...So I am a bit afraid of using the viewfinder most of the time, solely due to the fact that i am just not used to it. So if someone could assure me that I will eventually get used to using the viewfinder more, I wouldn't be so worried about it, lol.
OK. You'll get used to it. :-)

I have a harder time using a camera without a viewfinder, just because I use a dSLR more often. So, I sometimes find myself bringing a smaller camera with an LCD [only] up close to my face, only to realize that it doesn't have an optical viewfinder, and I need to hold it further away to see the image in the LCD to frame the shot.

P.S.

Quote:
...the concerning fact for me about the sony, is the lack of lens options
Well... although it's true that Canon and Nikon have more new lens choices, keep in mind that Sigma, Tamron and others make lenses for Sony A (a.k.a., Minolta Maxxum, Dynax) mount. Also, any Minolta Autofocus mount lens will work on a Sony dSLR (and they'd be stabilized, thanks to the body based stabilization system). You'll find lots of Minolta Autofocus mount lenses on the used market. A good place to find them is the Minolta Maxxum Section at http://www.keh.com

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35m...de=MA&bco=527&

Dyxum.com is a good place for user reviews from Konica Minolta and Sony dSLR owners. Just click on one of the lens type links (Fixed focal length, zoom, macro) to find lists of lenses in Minolta Autofocus mount. Then, when you click on one, you'll find more information, along with links to user reviews.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

But, again, I think you'd get used to the Optical Viewfinder, no matter what model you choose (and may prefer it to using the LCD with a dSLR).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:27 PM   #39

Another consideration is that dSLRs are bigger and heavier than P&S digicams, and the lenses for dSLRs, especially the long lenses, are a lot bigger and a lot heavier. Holding a dSLR out away from you so you can use the 'Live View' will get old pretty fast.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:50 PM   #40

aghhhhhh, i feel a bit overwhelmed.

I think now, I am going to purchase the Nikon D5000...

Here is what i plan to buy:
-Nikon D500 w/ 18-55mm and 55-200mm
-Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
-Nikon 50mm f/1.4
-Canon 52mm Macro (I think this is the right size to fit on the nikon 55-200mm lens)
-HB-45 hood
-HB-37 hood
-Opteka wireless remote
-flash diffuser

total equals $1,987.

Can anyone see anything wrong with what i plan to get?.. speak now or forever hold your peace