Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:20 PM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
mrpete, i just read your post.
why dont you think that with the D5000 none of those lens's (with built in auto-focus AF in them) will auto focus?

isnt that why there is an AF motor built inside the lens? that way the lens talks (excuse my lack of technical terminology) to the camera bodies' computer thingy, and that is how I get the auto focus?
They'll AF with the D5000 (the lenses you're looking at now are Nikkor AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) or Sigma HSM (Hypersonic Motor) lenses that have built in focus motors.

But, with a higher end Nikon model (like the D90 or new D7000), you'd have more lens options (since the D90 and higher end models can Autofocus with AF lenses that don't have AF motors built in, too).

For example, you could get a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AF lens for around $100 that would AF on a D90 (but not on a D5000). So, sometimes paying a bit more for a higher end Nikon camera body can result in savings when you factor in lens costs, depending on what you want to shoot.

Also, just my two cents worth... you may want to wait a while before spending that much money to get a better feel for your needs (i.e., stick with a basic kit for a while before spending an extra $1K or so on expensive lenses). That way, you can make better informed decisions later, after you've had a chance to understand the kit lens limitations. ;-)

But, for indoor sports, you will need a brighter lens (and that Sigma is popular in a budget 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom, at a lower price point compared to the Nikon offerings). Some users also use primes like the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D AF lens (but, it wouldn't Autofocus on a D5000, since it's not an AF-S lens). The prime would let you use lower ISO speeds (for example, 1600 versus 3200), or get faster shutter speeds for the same ISO speed. But, the zoom would give you more framing flexibility. There are pros and cons to both approaches.

You've also got some redundancy in your lens selections (i.e., getting both the 55-200mm and 70-200mm lenses, since both cover mostly the same focal range). Of course, the 55-200mm is a smaller and lighter lens compared to the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8. So, that might be one reason to get both. But, sometimes, new dSLR owners buy a lot of lenses that they don't like or use for one reason or another and they end up sitting on a shelf.

shoturtle has a good suggestion... try them out in a store. At least you'll have a better idea of things like size and weight. ;-)

Ditto for how Live View works (as I suspect you're looking at the tilting LCD on the D5000 and thinking it would be good for that purpose). Well... for stationary subjects, perhaps. But, only the Sony dSLR models have a Live View system that's going to be very usable for moving subjects (and you'd probably want to use the Optical Viewfinder anyway with a lens like that Sigma on it, given it's size and weight). ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:30 PM   #72

ok, im gonna go with the pentax K-x now... it'll have the 18-55 and the 55-300 lens's.
I'll get the pentax 50mm f/1.4. And i'll get the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8.

I'll test out the sigma 70-200 for just a bit, and if i dont like it, i'll return it.

all in all, it'll be a few hundred cheaper for the pentax stuff.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:32 PM   #73

Okay, i originally deleted this because i thought you settled on the Nikon, but here it is again (probably old news by now):
#1 I do not believe the Nikon d5000 will work with autofocus with those lenses. The d5000 does not have a built in autofocus motor, so you will only have manual focus, which I doubt you'd use. You would have to get a d7000 (when it comes out) to use those lenses (and get live view). I believe it will be around $1200.

I also would highly reccomend Sony. They have more lenses available (if you include discontinued ones) than Pentax - a total of like 350- do you think you need more than that? If you are prefering just auto stuff, I would suggest the a33/a55. Coming from a p&s you may not care as much that it has an electronic VF instead of optical (I think you'd have to be pretty serious to notice). It has the best video for a camera under $1000 and really good live view, at least from what I've heard, plus loads of other features. Otherwise I'd get an a500.
Another nice thing about Sony is their tilt screens. For me, live view is pretty useless unless I can use it for above crowds and below waistline. So consider that.
As for lenses, you can find similar ones you were looking for with Pentax. You can get a minolta 50m f1.7 for $80 on eBay (or a 1.4 for $250- however I think the 1.7 is much better value - it's basically as fast and waay less)
They have a Sigma or Tamron 70-200m 2.8 if you wish for the same price.
The Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 is a great budget lens. Not as sharp as the Pentax 55-300mm from 200-300mm, but I have gotten good results even in that range. The two real sellers is its built in 1:2 macro feature (!!!) and you can get it for around $100 or less. (I found a used one for $50)
The Tamron 17-50 is a really good kit lens replacement too.

So in conclusion, no nikon, yes sony!!

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:35 PM   #74

And all the lenses will be stablized it you want, since the pentax has in body IS vs lens base IS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
ok, im gonna go with the pentax K-x now... it'll have the 18-55 and the 55-300 lens's.
I'll get the pentax 50mm f/1.4. And i'll get the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8.

I'll test out the sigma 70-200 for just a bit, and if i dont like it, i'll return it.

all in all, it'll be a few hundred cheaper for the pentax stuff.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:44 PM   #75

im gonna take another look at the sony pete. i'll check back in here after looking at some of the specs and pricing.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:47 PM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
#1 I do not believe the Nikon d5000 will work with autofocus with those lenses...
Yes, it will. The Nikon D5000 will autofocus with the lenses the OP is now looking at for use with one, since they're Nikkor AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) and Sigma HSM (Hypersonic Motor) lenses. Those lenses do not require a focus motor in the camera body to Autofocus.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:50 PM   #77

Sorry, that was a repost, so it was referring to an earlier suggestion.... I suppose I should just delete it.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. ~Edward Steichen
mrpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:51 PM   #78

The sony a3xx are not that good compare to all the other dslr you mention. Though the A500 is up there with the pentax and nikon. You do loose HD, if that is something you might want to use time to time. Also you will not have a 300mm lens for outdoor stuff.

So if you do look at sony, look at the A500 or the A550. They are more in your body budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
im gonna take another look at the sony pete. i'll check back in here after looking at some of the specs and pricing.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:56 PM   #79

PS

The pentax 55-300 is a very versatile lens. It is actually a good walk around lens, and if you do any nature walks. It is wide enough to capture most close things at 55, and give you pretty good reach for bird and birds in flight. And it does focus faster then both the nikon and sony 55-200mm kit lenses.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:18 PM   #80

after just a broad overview of a few of the sony's, the a55 looks awesome. the translucent mirror (and continuous live view) , the 10 fps.. so much more.

EDIT: I dont think the a55 is available yet? is this true?

Last edited by ewheeler20; Oct 24, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote