Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:20 PM   #81

The 10fps is not really useable for action, as you can not see what you are aiming at. Also it is a evf. So it will be really difficult to use the 5fps speed, as the refresh rate of the evf will give you a black screen after every shoot. If you shoot action, you will want a OVF over a EVF.

Also the A55 and the A33 have a overheating problem with hd video.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:23 PM   #82

Here is on review talking about the overheating problem.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/29/s...eating-sensor/
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:25 PM   #83

can anyone tell me if this includes the camera and the 18-55mm lens? I just cant tell.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SLTA55VL-...7973424&sr=1-1
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:29 PM   #84

if i were to frame my subject through the viewfinder, and then hold down the shutter for just 1 or 2 seconds, i could get 10 or so pictures, as long as I didnt frame it too tightly, i could just crop after?

I dont think i'd take more than 10-15 pictures with one shutter press, so hopefully the refresh rate wouldnt be too much of an issue?

I would really rarely shoot video.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:30 PM   #85

It comes with the lens. As that is the going price of the A55 with the lens. But it will not be the right camera for taking indoor volleyball.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:33 PM   #86

why not? if i buy the sigma 70-200 lens for it.

Also, with the 10 fps, between in shot, it refocuses on the subject.

I need to do some more digging on this camera.

Last edited by ewheeler20; Oct 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:36 PM   #87

Here is the problem with that way of shooting that 10fps. If there is a quick change of direction. You can not correct for it because you can not see it. The 10fps is really for sweep panoramic shoot. To use it for sports is just a wishing to get lucky.

That is why all the cameras that can shoot 10fps for action are 6000 dollars like the canon 1dmkiv. The sony 10fps not meant for action. I shoot a evf camera, and do loose allot in the black out period.

If you were to go with a new sony the A560 or A580 would be more useful for action. At least you can aim with the 5fps, the 10fps it just blacks out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
if i were to frame my subject through the viewfinder, and then hold down the shutter for just 1 or 2 seconds, i could get 10 or so pictures, as long as I didnt frame it too tightly, i could just crop after?

I dont think i'd take more than 10-15 pictures with one shutter press, so hopefully the refresh rate wouldnt be too much of an issue?

I would really rarely shoot video.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:38 PM   #88

realistically it is only good for 3fps if you can track your subject. The 5fps and 10fps is sweep pano and unaimed shots.

spec are nice and the sony fan root for it, but it is not really usable for action shooting. I would pm JohnG if you want to know more about sport shooting in and outdoors. Think he will tell you something similar why the A55 or A33 would not be the right camera for it. You will need a DSLR not a SLT camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
why not? if i buy the sigma 70-200 lens for it.

Also, with the 10 fps, between in shot, it refocuses on the subject.

I need to do some more digging on this camera.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:58 PM   #89

Theses were taken with a canon, if I tried to shoot it with a evf camera, I would have missed all the shot after the 1st one because I can not track it. My brother took similar shots with the k-x, and it came almost as well as my canon with the 55-300mm.

So if you were trying to capture a pancake dig shot in volleyball were the player is about to dive, you will only get the first shot, and miss the whole dive sequence. Because you will need to adjust with the player. Framing wide is not the answer because you will not have the right critical focus point on the right area of the subject. So if you crop, you will corp a slightly oof shot. As you will be shooting indoor at 2.8. so the dof is not that large.

http://sn112w.snt112.mail.live.com/d...&wa=wsignin1.0
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:03 PM   #90

i see what you mean now. evf is a problem for high speed sports and tracking subjects.

I am crossing the a55 off my list.

the a560 looks good, but is in pre-order only, and the a580 is way back ordered everywhere.

just quickly looking at the a33, it seems to have the same issue as the a55; 7fps and evf... so it's bad for sports shooting too?

Last edited by ewheeler20; Oct 24, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote