Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Am I greedy to want both?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Maybe (please explain?!) 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:28 AM   #1

Default Lumix ZS7/TZ10 vs. PEN E-PL1

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions on the Panasonic Lumix ZS7/TZ10 compared to the Olympus PEN e-PL1. I realise that these are different sorts of cameras, so it's difficult to do a direct comparison, but what I'm really looking for are the differences - to be specific, whether they are great enough to justify having both cameras!

I actually already own the Lumix, having recently bought it as an upgrade from my 5-year-old Casio P&S (after doing what I thought was a considerable amount of research online). I want to start doing more with manual settings, and although the idea of playing with different lenses appeals, I don't really want to deal with a DSLR (mostly because of the size, but I think they might have too many settings for me anyway!). The superzoom seemed like a good compromise, but I have since learned about the "DIL"/"EVIL" cameras (guess I didn't research as thoroughly as I thought; d'oh!), and kinda want one; aside from the interchangeable lenses, I like the idea of a bigger sensor for better low-light performance.

I know people often have both a DSLR and a compact, but I'm wondering if the PEN is too close to the Lumix in IQ and functionality for it to make sense to have both... I'm considering getting the PEN anyway, so that I can try both cameras out and maybe sell one if it's superfluous, but that seems a bit wasteful. What do you guys think?

I mostly use my camera for travel - landscapes, buildings (inside and out), interesting objects etc., with occasional social events and eBay listings

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks,

K.
KateBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:58 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Well,

there is really no comparison between your compact and the PEN. the sensor on the PEN is an order of magnitude larger.

the PEN compares more with a dslr in image quality, since the sensor is more akin to them than any compact.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 6:56 AM   #3

They would compliment each other exceptionally...the ZS7 as a grab and go P&S and the PEN taking care of the low light and higher quaity photos if required...

I do not own a PEN and have only held one...but from the photos I have seen posted they are very nice up to ISO 1600...also depends on the lens attached to it...I am seeing a lot of good shots and praise for the Panasonic GF1 also...the Sony NEX System is also surprsingly small...

The ZS7 we own and it does very well in most areas except for low lighting...but have gotten many great indoor photos with and without flash dependant upon lighting...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
They would compliment each other exceptionally...the ZS7 as a grab and go P&S and the PEN taking care of the low light and higher quaity photos if required...
Thanks; that's exactly what I was hoping to hear
KateBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 2:17 PM   #5

well the pen can shoot you inside photos much better. But the zs7 simple to carry around. If you can get both. When you need higher end photos, take the pen, and for then casual stuff take the zs7.

And yes like hards mention the IQ of the pens are in the order of a dslr.