Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2010, 8:42 PM   #1

Default Is this a good buy? (olympus e-620)

I saw this special on qvc http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...wBag--Software

and instantly became obsessed. I think this could be the one... I've been itching for a DSLR for a long while. Five easy payments! I won't be quiet about it and my husband is getting irritated, he told me to just buy it. He doesn't care about cameras and doesn't understand how important it is to have a DSLR. *weeps*

So I'm gonna take a two day cooling off period to try and decide if I'm doing the right thing here. My gut tells me this is the right one to get.. I know it's $40 higher than Amazon but that's the trade-off for the payment plan option. Any better suggestions? :/
Under_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:19 PM   #2

Ok, good news.. Amazon has determined I'm credit-worthy to the tune of $900, ROFL, so this expands my options a little bit. Can anyone help point me to a good dslr to try? I'd like to keep my purchase right around the $700 mark.. and get two lenses included in that price. Swivel screen is preferred. I like the smaller form factor of Olympus E-620 as well.

Also, I recently drowned my ZS7 and don't know if it will come back --there is condensation behind the lens! so I am without a video-capable camera at the moment.. it would be a good perk but it's not a huge necessity to have, I am more concerned with awesome stills functionality and novice-level usability.

Help?
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:05 PM   #3

what do you like to shoot, if you like to allot of reach. The olympus 4/3 system does give you the most of the dslr with the 2x crop vs 1.5x and 1.6x of the aps-c camera.

The e620 is a excellent camera, shoots well up to 1600iso. And out of camera jpegs are the best in the market. If you want to see what the camera can really do look at the olympus dslr sub forum. Look at some of the shots form greg and zig.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/olympus-dslr-40/
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:12 PM   #4

I really like taking pictures of clouds.

Also I'd like to do some portraiture of my young daughter, pets too I suppose.

I've been comparing the E-620 to Pentax K-x... the latter was winning out momentarily until I noticed its video quality.. there is no way I'd be happy with anything at that frame rate. I hope I can my ZS7 to pull through, it's sitting in a jar of rice for the next week or so. :/
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:15 PM   #5

with video, a point and shoot does a much better job. There is allot of dof issues with bigger aperture and the larger sensor. I have a dslr with HD and they require allot of work to get good videos.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:25 PM   #6

That's good to know. I won't concern myself with video for this then. I noticed the frame-rate on ZS7 was 60 fps at 1080p. Yowza, fast! I'll probably replacing it soon. :/

So how rich will I have to be to buy extra lenses for the E-620? I mean, will it be interchangeable with other brands of lenses? Sorry, I seriously have no idea what I'm doing at this point. :P I'm gonna need help putting together a shopping list.

Last edited by Under_rock; Oct 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:29 PM   #7

depends on what you shoot, if action ask greg campbell, he shoots olympus for action.

Zig is another good source for info about olympus lenses.

But saying that olympus lenses are very highly regarded for their performance.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 24, 2010 at 10:54 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:46 PM   #8

Okay, thanks for the input. I don't consider myself an action shooter, more of a trees-and-scenery type I'd say. I'm sure the kit lenses will keep me happy for quite some time, can't argue with the price.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:54 PM   #9

zig is the one to ask, he does allot of landscape, but greg too.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:57 PM   #10

Aha. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system

I have so much home-work to do.