Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Canon 550D vs Sony NEX-3

Hey,

I realize that these are very different cameras, but I am really torn between what I want, which is:

Easy learning curve
Good IQ in a variety of settings with kit lens
Portability (I enjoy long day hikes, and I would really like to take the camera with me)

I am buying with visa points and the two cameras are 30,000 points apart. I have read all the reviews, and my gut tells me that the sony will be better suited in terms of portability, but I can't seem to get the Canon out of my mind.

There is also the Panasonic G1, but I ruled that out based on older technology, and some poor reviews compared to these other two cameras.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
asalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:35 PM   #2

The canon has much better lenses. And will be much better for action shooting, as it has a much better AF system.

For a EVIL camera, the sony has a great sensor. Same as the sony dslr's. And it is pretty small if you are using the pancake lens. But compare to other camera's in it's class. Other evils, the lenses are not as good as the panasonic or samsung lenses which can also be used on the olympus pen's like the epl-1.

I have a canon 500D, but got a olympus epl-1, because it is smaller and will give me photo quality just as good as my canon. I know it's limits, like not shooting pass 2000iso, or shooting action with it. So nothing wrong with getting the sony nex-5 if it fits your needs. And you shoot within it's limits. There is a place for a more compact system. And the nex-5 can fill that need.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 25, 2010 at 3:39 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:30 AM   #3

hi shoturtle... referring to your response above, what is meant by EVIL camera... excuse me for my ignorance.. I am a novice
brijeshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:33 AM   #4

EVIL - Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens

Though the nex is not a true Evil, as you can not add a Electronic view finder to it like the olympus pens, or the panasonic g camera, or the samsung nx's. It is what is most closely akin to it. But the sony might have an attachable view finder on day.

Last edited by shoturtle; Oct 25, 2010 at 3:35 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote