Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:12 PM   #1

Default Amateur looking for a starter camera

Hi all! I am in the market for a DSLR. I am interested in photography as a hobby, but I'm hoping to someday start a small, on-the-side business..

I am looking for a starting DSLR in the price range of $400-700, including the lens. How possible is this, and what are your opinions?

Thanks!
sportlis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:20 PM   #2

are you open for all brand, and what are you shooting requirements. IE low light, action, or just regular stuff?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:49 PM   #3

I'm looking for a mix of things. Low light, action, still shots (ie portrait-style indoors and out)

I'm open to any brand, as I've only ever owned a panasonic lumix, which is a wonderful camera, but not of the caliber I'm looking to have. I'm dreaming of the canon 7d someday, but since I don't have that kind of money currently, I'll opt for anything that's high quality and durable.
sportlis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:57 PM   #4

well with a dslr you are buying into a system. If you do think you want to get a 7D or it's successor 1 day. Then I would start of the rebels, the T1i or T2i. If you do invest in good lens all the lenses will work with the 7D. Even the not so good lenses.

I shoot a T1i personally, and it does low light indoors and out, and action quite well. The t2i is a little better camera, with the better HD video.

Now if you want bang for the money. The pentax k-x is a great value for 670 dollars for a 2 lens kit, with a 18-55 and 55-300mm. This kit will do moderate outdoor action, and is a excellent low light camera.

If you do not care about HD, the sony A500 is pretty good also. With a one lens kit about 540 dollars. And you can add the sigma 70-300 OS lens for 440 dollars down the line if you need a long zoom.

With the canon you can improve low light with a 95 dollar lens the ef 50mm 1.8. The sony 150 dollars for the 50 1.8. The pentax does not have a low end lens in that price point. They have a mid level lens with the 50 1.4 with is a better lens.

All of these camera mention are good low light cameras and work a look.