Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:02 PM   #1

Default nikon s8100 questions

Hi all this is my first post and must admit i am do not know that much about cameras. I was looking for a good point and shoot for my all around camera, however i do landscape lighting so i have a need to to go out in pitch dark and take a pic of the effects of lights that i just installed i have looked at the sony hx5v,canon SX210IS, canon s95, and the nikon s8100i went to a local best buy looked at all of them even took each one into a theater room with lights off only light is what was coming in from door i must say the s90 won in low light however i was let down with its not being able to zoom and auto focus in video.the nikon was 2nd in low light i dont think the pic quality is as good as the s95 but it was not bad at all however little worried about the loss of manual control on the s8100 does anyone have input here i have read all i can about all above models altho price and look i do like the s8100 does anyone have this camera any info would be helpful thanks
nayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2

The S90/95 trounces them all in low light due to the considerably larger sensor and faster lens. IQ on the S90 and S95 is virtually identical (with a slight edge in high ISO to the S95) according to all of the reviews and my own eyes - but if you disagree, then so be it. The S8100 seems like a decent camera but you will lose detail at all ISO levels.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:16 PM   #3

thanks for the input i do agree the s95 seems to have a better pic and of course better control over the camera then the s8100 but for price and just a go to p&s camera the s8100 seems like a winner the loss of video control on the s95 was a downside but i could still live with it i think i will buy the s8100 and see what happens if im not happy i can trade up to the s95
nayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayber View Post
thanks for the input i do agree the s95 seems to have a better pic and of course better control over the camera then the s8100 but for price and just a go to p&s camera the s8100 seems like a winner the loss of video control on the s95 was a downside but i could still live with it i think i will buy the s8100 and see what happens if im not happy i can trade up to the s95
One of the main reasons zoom and AF are typically disabled on digicams for video is because of the noise it causes on the video. Think about the noise you here when you are zooming during a snapshot, and picture that noise a lot louder in your video.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote